PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a big toy drum?

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm at wits end trying to figure this out, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions and ideas.

I'm trying to find/make some big fake plastic drums. For those of you that have seen the Holdman videos, I'm talking about something similar to the drums he has in the front yard in front of his trees (in the 2007 videos, at least). Something pretty big -- maybe half a metre tall or so?

I've been looking everywhere and can't find anywhere to buy them, as the only 'fake' drums are all small little trinkets or ornaments. I've contemplated making some (out of perspex that's molded or something?) but then don't know how to make it look like a drum as opposed to a plastic cylinder full of lights. :-D

Does anyone have any ideas about how to make a drum for light show purposes? (I've got a good rendition of Little Drummer Boy planned.....)

Thanks for any help and suggestions people may have!

g2ktcf
09-08-2009, 06:08 AM
OMG!!! I have been looking for the same drums. There is a post over at PC about this by 51fordf2.

Since you are down under, I would consider making them wireframes with metalized plastic coverings. I have some "presents" like that in my display that work quite well.

Good Luck,
Chris

sjwilson122
09-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Check out the photo section of his web site. The drums were made with octagon shaped wire frames and looks like they were covered with some kind of colored plastic with lights inside.

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Check out the photo section of his web site. The drums were made with octagon shaped wire frames and looks like they were covered with some kind of colored plastic with lights inside.

Oh, cool -- sorry, who's web site was that? Holdman's? I noticed in his 30-minute video 'tutorial' or walkthrough that he says he just bought them from.... er... walmart? home depot? somewhere like that, so I didn't look too closely how they were made and just tried to find somewhere I could buy something similar down under. But alas, they're much harder to find. :-)

But yeah, I'll have a look at how they were made.... thanks! :-)

Cheers,
Michael

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 07:30 AM
OMG!!! I have been looking for the same drums. There is a post over at PC about this by 51fordf2.

Since you are down under, I would consider making them wireframes with metalized plastic coverings. I have some "presents" like that in my display that work quite well.

Cool, thanks for the tips -- that sounds pretty interesting. What do you mean by "metalized plastic coverings"? I'm not too sure I know the stuff you're talking about.... do you have pictures of the presents you made, or is there anywhere online you can buy the stuff from? Just so I know that I'm getting stuff that will actually work and look good with light shining through... :-P

Thanks! :-D

g2ktcf
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
http://www.bronners.com/1134703.html

that is actually better than mine!

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 09:24 AM

That's pretty cool -- I think I know the stuff you're talking about now. Is it the same stuff you can get as wrapping paper? ie. pretty thin plastic-ey stuff? or is it thicker sheets of something that's translucent?

I was going to buy some of them, but realized shipping down under would be a killer. Aah well, might just make 'em.... :-)

g2ktcf
09-08-2009, 09:26 AM
That's pretty cool -- I think I know the stuff you're talking about now. Is it the same stuff you can get as wrapping paper? ie. pretty thin plastic-ey stuff? or is it thicker sheets of something that's translucent?

I was going to buy some of them, but realized shipping down under would be a killer. Aah well, might just make 'em.... :-)

I am not sure where to buy the plastic...that is the real problem. No, it isn't thin..you can get it thin but this stuff is durable.

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
No worries. Will keep digging, I'm sure something will come up. :-)

Thanks for your help and time!

mwo040
09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
You could always try colored saran wrap to cover your wire frames. There has been some success using that on other items you just would have to re wrap the drums each year as the saran wrap would probably not last through storage

kostyun
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
One suggestion might be translucent acrylic sheet - www.tapplastics.com

ErnieHorning
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I donít know where to get it, but Iíve seen it. Itís like the wrapping paper but its two or three times thicker. The stuff Iíve seen has prisms carved in the plastic that give it a bit of a holographic look.

Iím sure that wrapping paper would work but it would be fairly fragile. It certainly wouldnít work up here in the cold.

Iím also thinking that you could find a clear shower curtain with the prism look that could be colored with a glass or plastic paint.

dirknerkle
09-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Iím also thinking that you could find a clear shower curtain with the prism look that could be colored with a glass or plastic paint.

Ernie! You're one of the most creative and resourceful people I've ever seen! What a great idea! :D

bmcgeeny
09-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I got a bunch of them. Bought them two years ago at Menards. Paid about 1/2 that. Haven't even taken them out of the box.

bmcgeeny
09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I donít know where to get it, but Iíve seen it. Itís like the wrapping paper but its two or three times thicker. The stuff Iíve seen has prisms carved in the plastic that give it a bit of a holographic look.

Iím sure that wrapping paper would work but it would be fairly fragile. It certainly wouldnít work up here in the cold.

Menards has those. About $3 for the lighter ones. Bought a couple for some translucent windows in a portable fish house once. Stayed flexible to about 20 degree's, then got pretty brittle.

You guys down south don't know what a "fish house" is. PM Dirk and he'll tell you.

budude
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
That's OK - his "sharing" of what Lutefisk is tempered any more discussions of fish from Dirk... :rolleyes::p

dirknerkle
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
That's OK - his "sharing" of what Lutefisk is tempered any more discussions of fish from Dirk... :rolleyes::p

Awwww...geeezzzzz.....there you guys go again.... bad-mouthing a bad-tasting fish.... :rolleyes:

When you really get down to it, pre-digested fish would just have to be easier on your stomach, wouldn't it?!?!? :lol::lol::lol:

(only trouble is.... you can't get it past your nose!!!)

sallz0r
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi Guys,

wow, that's great. Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think the way to go is some of the thicker metallic looking wrapping-paper style stuff .... now just to figure out where to get it from! :-)

I like the shower curtain idea as well, just don't know how well that would go with lights (would it block too much light?). I think I'll use that as a backup covering idea. :-)

Does anyone have any idea how to make it look like a 'drum', rather than just a 'bizarre coloured plastic cylinder full 'o' lights'? I'm not sure if I'm just worrying over nothing, but I'm trying to figure out what 'extra' things are needed to make it look realistic. eg. for those presents, there's the bow at the top and ribbons around the 4 sides that gives it the characteristic 'present box' look. Is there anything like that for drums that people can think of? Maybe something for the skins, or the rims? but I'm not sure what.....

Thanks again for all your help! :-D

Cheers,
Michael

dirknerkle
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Does anyone have any idea how to make it look like a 'drum', rather than just a 'bizarre coloured plastic cylinder full 'o' lights'? I'm not sure if I'm just worrying over nothing, but I'm trying to figure out what 'extra' things are needed to make it look realistic. eg. for those presents, there's the bow at the top and ribbons around the 4 sides that gives it the characteristic 'present box' look. Is there anything like that for drums that people can think of? Maybe something for the skins, or the rims? but I'm not sure what.....

Thanks again for all your help! :-D

Cheers,
Michael

I posted a thread in the "how-to" section about building a metal-free mini tree, and some of the ideas there could be easy to work up.

You could take a thin piece of PVC (the 1/2" size, which is really quite flexible) and easily bend it into a circle shape having a diameter as small as 26 inches. You could attach the ends either with a PVC coupling or for a cleaner look, a short piece of wooden dowell on the inside -- drill a couple holes through the PVC and dowell at the junction and fasten with a zip tie to hold the hoop together. You'd need two of them -- for the top and bottom rims of the drum.

You could fasten the top to the bottom using straight sections of the 1/2" PVC pipe and simply attach them between the top and bottom rims by drilling small holes and fastening with zip ties. This sort of frame would be light, paintable with black paint, strong enough to wrap or hold lights on its own, impervious to water and not electrically conductive.

Just an idea...;)

sallz0r
09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I posted a thread in the "how-to" section about building a metal-free mini tree, and some of the ideas there could be easy to work up.

<snip>

Nice! That's a brilliant idea... thanks mate, that's great. Yeah, I think that'll make it look like the real deal...

Too easy! Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Michael