PDA

View Full Version : How would you???

zoommedic
09-07-2009, 11:05 PM
My holloween idea is to have my house appear on fire, or like my wifes says "glowing red from below". I was also thinking of having it glow green. I only have red green and white lights. The white is going to be under the eves to simulate lightning.

In the picture, the blue section, is going to be used to hide the red lights and reflect light up onto the house. My cheap idea was to buy a sheet of plywood, cut it into long strips about 6" high. Next I was going to paint them black, and glue (shiny side out) foil on the back side to reflect the light.

Any better ideas?

This is not all I am going to do, but i got everything else covered.....

WWNF911
09-08-2009, 02:09 AM
If you've ever been to Disneyland you'll notice that each house at one point in the Pirates of the caribbean is on fire. Disney achieves this look I believe by shining a red or orange light on a certain color of a satin looking material and then blowing on it with a fan to achieve the flame look.

Take a look here at about the 6:20 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxohRq_3_yI

A word of caution though. This look is very real. I hope the fire dept. doesn't show up. :)

deplanche
09-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I have a "flaming" couldrin that I purchased from a Halloween store that uses the same concept. A piece of satin reflects the light, and the fan makes it look like it is moving like a real fire. Could very easily be done with an old household fan, or a cheap fan that would be about the same cost as the plywood.

ppohlman
09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
A friend here at work was wanting to make a fake campfire. I helped him find several different websites that created fake fire effects.
Attached is a word document with several links. One of the easiest and most common ideas was the silk blown by a fan and lit up with lights.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

BuzzKill
09-08-2009, 08:05 PM
The silk and fans thing is great under controlled environment like inside the tunnel of an amusement ride. But when you scale it up and try to use it outdoors the results are not always same. Plus you have the noise of the fans, and the additional challenge of setting up large enough fans.

But if money is no object... GO for it!

Or... Depending on the lenght of the front of the house try this recipe...

Orange flood light always on. And then clustered with it a red and yellow set to random flicker. You may make 2-3 sets like this and syncronize them, or have them flicker independently.

You get a nice red, yellow, and orange flicker, and throw in a flaming sound track with some roar, and crackle to complete the illusion.

budude
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Perhaps use the outlet of a vacuum cleaner (hidden away) and run some PVC pipes (any plastic pipe really) from it with the silk attached to the ends. No fans out in the rain, etc that way - in fact no outside electrical issues to worry about other than the lighting. Put a strong LED along the same pipe fitting shooting up the silk maybe? Flicker that thing with Vixen - might be a passable "fire"...

Wayne J
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Perhaps use the outlet of a vacuum cleaner (hidden away) and run some PVC pipes (any plastic pipe really) from it with the silk attached to the ends. No fans out in the rain, etc that way - in fact no outside electrical issues to worry about other than the lighting. Put a strong LED along the same pipe fitting shooting up the silk maybe? Flicker that thing with Vixen - might be a passable "fire"...

Very creative!

dirknerkle
09-08-2009, 11:23 PM

One thing the silk is going to need is wind speed -- you'll want to restrict the air flow to a narrow nozzle (or slot, like the bottom of a vacuum cleaner) so that the higher pressure on the fan side of the nozzle will cause it to flow faster. The PVC pipe is a great idea -- consider cutting it lengthwise so it has a slit in the side and fastening the tube from the blower onto the end of the tube. You may have to experiment with the narrowness of the slit but I'd guess 3/16 to 1/4" might be pretty close...

zoommedic
09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Good Ideas, but I am looking for the glow of fire, not actually the fire effect. Maybe I did not clarify myself. I am going to use the board to block the view of the actually lights. I want the board to help reflect the light onto the house, just the "GLOW" effect.

budude
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
No No - we've all decided you're going to use the silk thing - better get started on that... :rolleyes::p

Any way you could get some yellow lights? A mix of red and yellow would give a pretty good effect when diffused properly. Maybe use some of the whites with yellow plastic over them... How much space are you allowing for the lights - like 6" or so?

ppohlman
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
One thing that I read on several sites was that you should use a little bit of blue color in the lights as well as the red,orange,yellow.

I have not tried it, but that's what people have said and I'm just passing it along.

dmcole
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
FWIW, my treatise on fire light:

http://www.45mm.com/lighting/flickering.html

\dmc

ppohlman
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
FWIW, my treatise on fire light:

http://www.45mm.com/lighting/flickering.html

\dmc

FYI - This link was included on the list that I supplied in post #4.

51fordf2
09-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I know it's moot, since you weren't looking for the silk idea, but FYI, cellophane works very well, in lieu of silk, and I think even a little better, since it's transparent. Also, lighter, so it takes less air to move it - in fact, almost none (think muffin fans). Very realistic.

Now, back to our regular programming...

:)

R