PDA

View Full Version : First Halloween ideas...

zoommedic
09-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Well this will be my first halloween using lights.

I was thinking of placing my white string lights under the eves of the house, where no one from the street can see them, and using them as a lightning effect. Second I was thinking of taking my red string lights an laying them out along the ground on the edge of my house, with a cover kind of directing the light to the house, and attempting to immitate the glow of fire. All i got is red, green, white lights.

Any ideas on vixen sequence, or other ideas?

ppohlman
09-03-2009, 09:30 AM
It seems to me that a lot of people like to use props for Halloween. I for one was looking forward to the Renard Servo Controller by Omzig that's been put on hold. I was wanting to make a couple 3-axis skulls. You can control just about anything you can think of with Vixen, not just lights. So let your mind wonder.

ErnieHorning
09-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Red and green gives you yellow (sort of), add a little more red and it looks more orange. A lot of white dimmed down to 30% or so will give a dark yellow. With multiple channels you could have the house slowly changing colors and brightness to give a creepy look. It depends on what you’re reflecting off of and you’ll need to experiment a bit to see what you like. I like to use Halloween as my experimental holiday. We don’t get a lot of kids for Halloween so I don’t want to scare off the few that do come around.

dirknerkle
09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I afraid of even attempting to do Halloween. The morning of November 1st is always interesting around our area -- interesting to find out what's missing.

Any controllers or displays I might set out for Halloween would most certainly no longer be there the next morning - even if they were chained down.

BuzzKill
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I run the lightning independently of the rest of my halloween light show. Seems more natural that way - it is more "analog". It looks kind of cool to have the lightning and thunder interspersed with the rest of the lights randomly. I do not use strobes. I use 3 x 500 watt quartz halogens that are place strategicly in the front of the house, with one high up in a tree. The one shining down through the tree casts great shadows. The lighting is via a sound organ. An MP3 player plays one channel into the sound organ and the other channel is sent to my audio amplifier with a splitter to fill but channels. I really like the effect. More of creepy, summer, distant lightning storm.

I have a great fence that I constructed with the neighborhood kids that was made out of gray PVC pipe and 1 x 2's. Each post is topped with a plastic skull. And each night I drop little electric votive led flicker candles into the skulls which gives them a great glow.

Song list currently includes: Ghostbusters (Of course), Monster Mash, and theme from movie "Halloween". I am thinking of adding "Thriller" this year. Will see if I get the time.

deplanche
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a great fence that I constructed with the neighborhood kids

I like that idea. Just have to be sure you don't use too many kids for the fence or you won't have any trick or treaters to enjoy the show. :)

DynamoBen
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I do a singing pumpkins show. All that is needed is a way to illuminate some carved pumpkins. In my case its 4 pumpkins with ceiling fan light bulbs dangled in them from the top by their cords and sockets. Very low cost, super high "return" because the kids love it.

Each year I add a new song or new effect. After four years of doing it this year I'm adding some servos to cheap plastic light up skulls so that they look like they are moving their "heads" to the music.

BTW If you search for my username in youtube, you can see clips of my show.