PDA

View Full Version : XBee Wireless Modules

dirknerkle
09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I thought I'd start this thread by sharing the prototyping PCB layouts I'm using to develop a generic wireless add-on solution for DIYC controllers. While the project test base will be made with Renard SS24 units, the eventual goal will be to make the concept easily transportable to other controller types as well.

I have placed the basic set of prototyping board layouts in the COPPER section of the File Library. The boards are certainly excellent candidates for home-etching. Enjoy!

Here's a sample of what the "Spyder" board looks like:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/attach/3/0/4/4/xbee_spyder_proto_board_1251778582.jpg

dirknerkle
09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Progress report...

I have a working setup that is pretty kludgy at the present time, but the concept seems to work. More Xbee modules are on the way for more testing, as well as a single 2-3/4" square circuitboard that can simply plugged into J1 and J2 on the Renard board, with a tap off the +5v of the Renard's power circuitry (my current thought is to use the 5v test hole).

Parts for a completed board include a MAX232 chip, three capacitors, a 3.3v voltage regulator, a couple RJ45 jacks and a couple XBee modules...

More later, but things are looking up for a pretty simple, near plug-n-play wireless add-on transmit/receive adapter for under $50... or under $30 if it's a receive-only adapter.

Matt_Edwards
09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Great concept.

What speed will is run at? (sorry I know I should look up the spec, but today I am lazy)
Will it be protocol dependant, or are you attempting to make a wireless piece of string.

Your picture is very small. have you got a bigger one 1/2 blind folks like me can see?

Cheers
Matthew

dirknerkle
09-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Great concept.

What speed will is run at? (sorry I know I should look up the spec, but today I am lazy)
Will it be protocol dependant, or are you attempting to make a wireless piece of string.

Your picture is very small. have you got a bigger one 1/2 blind folks like me can see?

Cheers
Matthew

Thanks for the interest!

My goal is to make it as generic and as configuration-free as I can -- even to the point of attaching it to a Renard board. Right now it just plugs into the Renard's RJ45s, and I'm experimenting with ways to get the 5v power from the Renard -- I'll probably use the left side of JP3 by soldering a wire to a jumper shunt and that way, you can either close JP3 or connect it only to the left side of JP3 to get the power.

In keeping with the "generic" concept, my testing is at 57.6K -- the basic Renard speed. I've tried it at 115 and it works fine there, too. When configuring one of the XBee modules, there are only 2 things to set: the PAN id and the transmission rate. Alternately, instead of using the PAN id, you could set each module's address manually, but more on that at a later date...

It uses the default XBee protocols right out of the box. No changes. I've figured out a mechanism to daisy-chain multiple Renards this way as so far, the control signals have been passed along properly from one Renard to the next.

Sorry about the pic -- the prototyping boards I made for this project are in the File Library under COPPER, and there's a larger picture of the "spyder" board there -- the same one as this small photo. (I'll see if I can fix the photo problem!)

Right now I'm waiting on a few parts so I can continue testing. The XBee modules plug into a wierd 2mm female header, which doesn't conform to almost anything. I haven't found the right part from Mouser yet, but I'm sure that'll be part of the BOM once I'm satisfied with this thing. So far I'm really pleased with it, but all too often we discover that stuff that works on the bench or across the room croaks when it gets outside. It'll be interesting to see what effect the broadband-type protective boxes most of us use have on transmission distance when that little 1" antenna is locked away inside...

omzig
09-09-2009, 01:29 AM
FYI, SparkFun has the 2mm sockets (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8272) as well as a lot of other XBee stuff. When I was doing a little experimenting with them I used these (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8276) with a standard breadboard.

budude
09-09-2009, 02:06 AM
FYI, SparkFun has the 2mm sockets (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8272) as well as a lot of other XBee stuff. When I was doing a little experimenting with them I used these (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8276) with a standard breadboard.

These are exactly what we used for the Helix systems which use the XBee Pro modules. Yeah - and what is with that 2mm socket?!

dirknerkle
09-09-2009, 09:51 AM
RE: 2mm female header sockets

Thanks, budude and omzig. I have ordered them from SparkFun in the past and have more coming from them -- I'm sure they're also available through Mouser because it would be so much more convenient for everyone to get all the stuff from one place in a BOM. I just haven't found the part number yet...

EDIT - 9/9/09: Mouser has more than a thousand of these on order as part # M22-7131042. They are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE for such a tiny part. To mount an XBee module, you'd need a pair of them. I'll try to find a suitable workaround but right now, at $1 each, SparkFun has Mouser's price beat hands-down...

EDIT - 9/10/09: If you search eBay for the word "xbee" you can find good deals on breakout boards, programming boards, and interface boards for USB and otherwise. Watch out for the shipping prices though...

EDIT - 10/12/09: Mouser finally has these in stock, but you'll have to buy 50 of them to get the price down to $1.02 each. (I told you they were ridiculously expensive!)

EDIT - 9/14/09: started new thread for "Renard-WC"

madane
08-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Hi i have buit two wireless renad one with emode and other as TX . i have connected the emode unit to serial port of PC with RS232 patch with two RJ45 and JP5 Jumpered. I have connected Xbee with USB explorer and connected to other pc.The Parameters for both Xbee module as follows 576OO Baud -Pan ID 3332 - MacMode 802.15.4 No ACKS - Parity Mark parity -PackTimeout 0. I use XCTU terminal to communicate but there is no communication between the module. I only see the TX led from the explore blinking when a data is sent . I tried with vixen also no response.

Please kindly help me for the same
Madane

dirknerkle
08-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi i have buit two wireless renad one with emode and other as TX . i have connected the emode unit to serial port of PC with RS232 patch with two RJ45 and JP5 Jumpered. I have connected Xbee with USB explorer and connected to other pc.The Parameters for both Xbee module as follows 576OO Baud -Pan ID 3332 - MacMode 802.15.4 No ACKS - Parity Mark parity -PackTimeout 0. I use XCTU terminal to communicate but there is no communication between the module. I only see the TX led from the explore blinking when a data is sent . I tried with vixen also no response.

Please kindly help me for the same
Madane

When you're daisychaining one Renard to another, you need to use 57600, 8 bits, NO parity and 1 stop for the XBees. This is because the Renard firmware does not generate a parity bit. The MARK parity only applies to communication between an XBee at the computer and the first Renard controller. Change the Xbees to use no parity and I'll bet they'll hook up fine. BTW, remember than in eMode, the Xbee radio is on the TX side of the Ren-W and JP5 is connected.

madane
08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Dirknerkle,
Thanks for the reply. I changed both Xbees 57600, 8 bits, NO parity and 1 stop but still i am not able to hook it up.
My installation is like this . I send the sequence of VIXEN to serial port where the Renard-WC connected, to Transmit the RF signal, and i use another Renard-WC to receive the sequence to the Renard controller.

I also hooked the xbee unit to two pc one direct with Renard_WC and other with Xbee explorer using the XCTU.No communication with the Xbee module.
Thanking you in advance
Madane

gdyrdave
08-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey Dave,
I have XBEE modules out the kazoo!!! Want me to help?

The other Dave

PS: I am NOT one of the DIGWDF engineers..... Not fond of lutefish....lol

gdyrdave
08-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Also if you need connectors for the XBees i have some I got from china... Need some?

the other Dave

dirknerkle
08-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi Dirknerkle,
Thanks for the reply. I changed both Xbees 57600, 8 bits, NO parity and 1 stop but still i am not able to hook it up.
My installation is like this . I send the sequence of VIXEN to serial port where the Renard-WC connected, to Transmit the RF signal, and i use another Renard-WC to receive the sequence to the Renard controller.

I also hooked the xbee unit to two pc one direct with Renard_WC and other with Xbee explorer using the XCTU.No communication with the Xbee module.
Thanking you in advance
Madane

Okay, if I understand your setup, it's like this:

The vixen Renard plugin is set to 57600baud, 8 bits, no parity 1 stop bit. and it's set to go out the PC's serial port.
The serial port is connected to the Ren-W to transmit.
The controller has a Ren-W to receive.

For this to work, you need the following:
1. The serial connection from the computer to the Ren-W must be RS485. RS232 is not going to work. You need an RS232 to RS485 converter and you need to set the cable connections from the RS485 converter correctly so it connects to the Ren-W using the standard, Renard cabling setup for RS485.

2. The Ren-W at the computer must be in TX mode. The XBee in that Ren-W can be at 57600, N, 8 1 or it can be at 57600, M, 8, 2. Whichever setting you use, the Vixen Renard plugin setting must be set the same way. If the transmitting Ren-W is a Rev6 board, you need the jumper settings on the TX header pins and nothing on the RX pins. If it's an SMA version of the Ren-W, you need the XBee radio in the TX side of the board, and the cable from the computer in the LEFT side of the board, and the JP5 jumper OFF because it is not an e-mode repeater.

3. The Ren-W at the receiver controller must be in RX mode. The XBee in that Ren-W must be at the same setting as the transmitting Ren-W. If it's a Rev-6 Ren-W, the jumpers must be on the RX pins and nothing on the TX. If it's an SMA Ren-W then the XBee must be in the RX side of the board and the data cable going from the RIGHT side into the controllers RS input.

dirknerkle
08-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey Dave,
I have XBEE modules out the kazoo!!! Want me to help?

The other Dave

PS: I am NOT one of the DIGWDF engineers..... Not fond of lutefish....lol

You have them out the kazoo? Is that painful? :omg:

(BTW, the DIGWDF engineers aren't fond of lutefisk either... they often use it to replace the soles on their sandals... when they're not barefoot...)

madane
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks Dirknerkle,

Today all shops are closed i will buy the converter and make a test and keep you informed on monday.

Thanking you once again for the information.
Madane

Xenia
08-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Mandane,

You mentioned an explorer board. Have you tried using the explorer as your transmit platform for the Xbee and use both of your Ren-W in receive mode on the renards?

Just a thought. It avoids the rs232/rs485 issue.

Randy

madane
08-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Hi Xenia
Thanks for the reply i have not yet assembled the controller board to test with the renard WC receiver

Madane

madane
08-06-2012, 03:46 AM
HI Dirknerkle

I have Purchased Hexin 485 converter as per the data sheet DB9 pin 1 = -Data Pin 2 = +Data so i have to connect -data to 1&2 of J1 in Renard WC and +data to to pin 4 of J1 in Renard WC.

Thanking you in advance
Madane

madane
08-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi ,

Renard wireless connected with RS 485 data to Renard wireless and i am able to communicate with the other wireless after changing the configiration in XCTU funtion set as RS485 in the transmitter and the fontion set as USB adapter in the explorer i am able to comunicate with the XCTU. Changing the Xbee confiration reciver to RS485 and connecting with the other renard wireless , now i can communicate with the Renard wireless unit. I have added one led with resistor to the unit and i am able to see the blinking led as per the sequence transmitted.
Thanking you all for the infomation given to me
Madane
Now i am going to other thread for my renard48LSD controller which is problem