PDA

View Full Version : New frame builds

cenote
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Just came in from building these this weekend. Now to start adding lights, Fun Fun

dirknerkle
08-30-2009, 07:21 PM
WOW! Terrific work!!! You'll have fun lighting those!

cenote
08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Another one done

piesrule58
08-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Great job. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the second one?

budude
08-31-2009, 12:21 AM
That's a Dreidel (a jewish top basically).

Matt_Edwards
08-31-2009, 03:35 AM
And I thought is was an appropriation of Noah's Ark. Well now I know better.

Great work. I wish I had those sort of skills and ability.

Matt

lakewood
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi cenote

What material are you using to build your wire-frames? And are you using a wirefeed welder to hold them together?

Thanks
Robert

cenote
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi cenote

What material are you using to build your wire-frames? And are you using a wirefeed welder to hold them together?

Thanks
Robert

1/4" cold roll steel (20') lengths
Using a miller 140 mig welder w/argon

CN

cenote
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
That's a Dreidel (a jewish top basically).

OK, you figured it out, now can you figure out what song it is ???

lakewood
09-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Chuck - I'll be out looking for materials this weekend.

Robert

budude
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
OK, you figured it out, now can you figure out what song it is ???

Well... I DO watch South Park :p so I believe it goes something like...

I have a little dreidel, I made it out clay ...

ג!

So - what do I win?!

kostyun
09-03-2009, 12:32 PM

ג!

So - what do I win?!

But is it better than a Mr Hanky Mega Tree topper?

budude
09-03-2009, 12:53 PM
No - but definitely better than the Towlie banner - always smoke coming from it for some reason...

cenote
09-07-2009, 01:46 PM

ג!

So - what do I win?!

Wrong Answer...Guess again

djgreg3823
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey Cenote:
Great frames! I am a noob at building my own. Where do you find your cold roll steel ( local supplier or web? ) Also any tips for someone starting out? I appreciate your help!
Greg

cenote
12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Cenote:
Great frames! I am a noob at building my own. Where do you find your cold roll steel ( local supplier or web? ) Also any tips for someone starting out? I appreciate your help!
Greg

I buy my steel from a local supplier. Luckily I have two of them very close to me which I deal with for my company. Very cheap from places like them. I buy it at about $2.00 - $3.00 per twenty feet. Places like lowes and tractor supply will rip you off. Seen is as high as $4.00 per 3' section. I would think you would get murdered on shipping off the web. Not many freight places deal with 20' long stuff.

I found it easy for us to have my wife draw the frame out with chalk on the floor, than start bending. Don't have to waste your money on a pipe bender or roller. Just find anything around that is solid and bend around. Things like bumpers, trees, etc. I built a stand that bolts to my floor, that has two small pipes welded to it about 3/8" apart, and I bend every thing around that. Than some times tweak it in a vise.

Hardest part I found is preping it for paint. I still haven't found a good method for this. I just came across a chemical which is used for cleaning auto body's before paint. You need something with a high flash point to clean with. All medal you buy has a lot of oil on it.

Planning on stripping off all the lights this year, sandblasting them this summer, and painting them with auto paint. The Krylon I used this year does not work. And if I hit the lottery, I will be paying somebody to powered coat them.

If you are serious, invest in a descent mig welder. You can search on hear for good ones. Always a hot topic on these boards. I suggest buying one with argon gas. Flux core welding is cheaper investment, but the core wire is very expensive, and I still have not seen a good weld come from one of theses machines. They work, but are real ugly welds. I scored one of my welders (150amp mig) this year off craigs list for $200, was like new from owner. Long story short, owner bought, assembled, never worked for him. Sat in corner of garage for years. I grabbed it, found that he assembled it wrong (gas line plugged, wrong polarity, wrong wire) and now it works great. I see them all the time on craigs list for good deals.

OK, enough out of me, hope this helps.

cenote
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Here's a couple a newer shots. The first one is a shot of my bender I made.

djgreg3823
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Cenote:
Thanks so much for all the great info to get me started. I really appreciate it!

Greg

kychristmas
12-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, I have one of those $130 wire feed welders from Bottom of the Harbor Freight. They don't work well and they do not create a clean weld. Of course for Wireframes, it doesn't have to look perfect.

Chuck,
I want to build a bunch of animated wireframes. Does your wife Freehand those?

cenote
12-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Chuck,
I want to build a bunch of animated wireframes. Does your wife Freehand those?

Yes, my wonderful wife does 100% off the wire frame drawings. Some how, she can look at a picture, and than draw it any size on the floor. I knew I was keeping her around for something...

dj merritt
12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
CEnote I was planning to do some wire frame's for 2010 and cant draw a stick man heck i cant even draw flies. I was wondering what you think about using an overhead projector to do the art with? OH and I own the cambel hausfield wire feed welder and it seems to work well for me I even welded a complete 4x8 trailor with it. I did use two rolls of wire @ 26.00 each.

Merry Christmas
Bud & Melissa

bobkeyes
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Just for info, I don't have an electric welder of any sort, but I do have a torch. I braze all my frames. Works well and it's not expensive.

cenote
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
OH and I own the cambel hausfield wire feed welder and it seems to work well for me I even welded a complete 4x8 trailor with it. I did use two rolls of wire @ 26.00 each.

Hey now, I mean no disrespect to anybody. I've been welding since a kid, and I am bios to Mig and stick welding. I have just seen a lot of results from wire/flux welding and have not been impressed. But there is always a first.

Merry Christmas, Chuck

Elmo2resc
12-18-2009, 02:51 AM
I did some halloween frames this past year with 1/4" aluminum rod. I will have to check what alloy it was but it was pretty easy to work and pretty strong. The nice thing is not having to worry about rust and I don't miss the prep work for painting the steel. The material is a little more money but worth it in my opinion.
Jerome

dj merritt
12-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Hey now, I mean no disrespect to anybody. I've been welding since a kid, and I am bios to Mig and stick welding. I have just seen a lot of results from wire/flux welding and have not been impressed. But there is always a first.

Merry Christmas, Chuck

Hello Chuck I wasnt being neg I was just putting a plug in for what i use to think was junk which is Cambel huasfield. Now the truth is i did have alot of grinding to do to make it look as good as i wanted it thats why it took 2 rolls of wire.

Merry Christmas , Bud & Melissa