PDA

View Full Version : Bethlehem Star help

Aurbo99
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Looking for some suggestions or help with the Bethlehem star project.

I have an extra 6 days coming up thats not slated for anything, I thought I would try to get a Star built in secret and surprise the wife as its one thing she wants in the display and so far I've not had time to build.

I would like suggestions on what lights to use and how long each string needs to be.

I dont have time to lay it all out and re-jig to match lengths etc..

Does anyone have a completed star that they can pass on the measurements and light count for each segment.

I would like to break the star into 4 segments.

1 the main 4 point star
2.the halo around it
3,4 the radial lines
Main four point star

I have a batch of LED mini strings that might work if I can obtain measurements from a working Star.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Pwmcguire
08-28-2009, 11:02 PM
This description gets a little crazy but I included picture's I used my old c9's I had laying around. I took a 1/4" sheet of plywood, luaun dropped down about 18 inches from the top and drew a line, went down 4 feet and drew another line, (You can go smaller because I made this scalable), drew lines from corner where the line meets the edge of the wood to the opposite corner where the line meets the edge of the wood, to find the center. Drilled a screw in the center, with a string and a pencil made a circle, I used all four foot width. drew a line left to right and top to bottom through the center, these are the points of the star. The inside points of the stars are approximately 1/3 of the distance of the width of the circle, If you stick with the 1/3 the star will be scalable. Measure the distance across the circle, Divide by 3, for a 4 foot star it would be 16", half of that would be 8". measure out 8 inches from the center of the star on all of intersecting lines in the center and make a mark. Connect those marks to points of the star on the outside edge. The left and right points of the star go to the edge. The smaller star points are in a little from the edge, you choose where. The rays come off of where the sides of each star intersect. I drilled holes for the lights. I built a frame behind it and painted it black. I customized the strings of lights,(added and removed some) there are about 182 lights on it use 7 channels because of the amps it pulls. The drawing was laid out on a recipe card and looks proportional. If you are using LED's just leave the extra lights hanging behind and add another string if you need more, you don't have amperage to worry about. The light count is going to vary by the size of the light and the size of the star

Aurbo99
08-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks greatly..

its about 38F this morning and too damn cool to be mucking about my yard, this gives me something to lay out and start cutting.

Wayne J
08-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Here is mine...

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4056