PDA

View Full Version : Streaming DMX via Ethernet

DynamoBen
10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
If someone is up for a challange I have a request for a plugin. A streaming DMX via ACN plugin. This is a subset of the new ethernet standard for lighting control. I've attached a zip with example code, test apps, and the current version of the standard.

This could be used in a number of ways; everything from ethernet based dimmers to remote control.

Anyone interested?

DynamoBen
10-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmm not takers... :(

teberle
10-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Maybe later. Need to finish my stuff for Christmas since I just finished Halloween.

DynamoBen
10-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I understand, I'm sort of in the same boat. ;)

DynamoBen
12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Not to be pushy but myself and another developer are working on a device that would be run from this plugin. Is there anyone free who might be able to work on this so we can do some testing? (I wish I knew how to program :( )

teberle
12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Let me see what I can do. I have some free time. I am restarting my X10 plugin so i can look at this one first.

DynamoBen
12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
That would be awesome, this should help with my development.

Duke
02-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Has anyone thought of using ethernet over AC?
Do a search for "HomePlug" and you'll get the idea.
Your AC line is also the comm line.

1. Plug your PC into a LAN/120 V module.
2. Run your extensension cords out to your display features.
3. Add a remote reciever module with addressing and dimming capabilities for each channel.

It is NOT X10 tech. It is MUCH faster.
Rates of -> 80Mbs according to specs.
Every AC line/plug becomes part of the network. Your whole house becomes networked in fact. No more need for extra wiring. Very clean and simple. Remote module size is questionable though.

Thoughts?

RJ
02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Has anyone thought of using ethernet over AC?
Do a search for "HomePlug" and you'll get the idea.
Your AC line is also the comm line.

1. Plug your PC into a LAN/120 V module.
2. Run your extensension cords out to your display features.
3. Add a remote reciever module with addressing and dimming capabilities for each channel.

It is NOT X10 tech. It is MUCH faster.
Rates of -> 80Mbs according to specs.
Every AC line/plug becomes part of the network. Your whole house becomes networked in fact. No more need for extra wiring. Very clean and simple. Remote module size is questionable though.

Thoughts?

Why yes, Yes I have.

Duke
02-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Why yes, Yes I have.

Care to share them?
Good? Bad? Won't work? Too expensive?
What?

scorpia
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
hhhmmm,

not sure i like the idea of DIY Data over Power convertors.

sounds like a very dangerous this to release on the unsespecting public.

but that might just be me being causious.

Peter

RJ
02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Care to share them?
Good? Bad? Won't work? Too expensive?
What?

I was using an intergrated chipset that isolated the power from the data. The companies name is intellon. The technology is totallt safe as it's in use all over the world. It use a transformer to couple the data set to the line.

That said biggest problem is the noise that triacs make turning on under load is not a very good enviroment for that system to work in. They also do not like GPF breakers all that much. But it's neat technology and your thinking outside the box and thats good.

RJ

Duke
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes it is safe. There is a multitude of products out there that use this tech.....
http://www.homeplug.org/kshowcase/view
I had thought the noise problem had been resolved by using more than one carrier and forward error checking.

mrpackethead
02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Removed because i was being overly harsh.

ben
03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I will tell you guys this is the way my house is setup. He didn't want to buy 3 desktop PCI cards so he wired it with Linksys wall modules. That way its really interupted. Sometimes the signal will fade in my room.

Ben

MaxS
06-09-2008, 10:51 PM
There's been some recent interest in this lately, so I'll bring this back up. The idea of DMX-over-ACN was presented as a way to wirelessly connect an entire lighting set-up, and an ACN plug-in or ACN gateway would be needed. The former would be better. If there is any new interest in coding an ACN Vixen Plug-In, please post here, and see the related thread:

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3427