PDA

View Full Version : Second Olsen 595 dimming curve not working

XmasInGalt
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi all. I'm hoping that one of you bright folks out there may have an idea on the problem I having. I have a set of 2 Olsen 595s set up with Ren-Cs and a Ren-T. I decided to started testing dimming curves on the Olsen 595s. In my test, I'm using two channels (one with a regular linear curve and the second channel with a 30%-100% curve. The first Olsen that is connected to the Ren-T does the dimming curves just fine. The channel with the modified curve starts to ramp up then the unmodified channel start at about 30% or so (fyi, I using regular mini lights only). On the second Olsen (channels 65 & 66 in Vixen) I do the same test. Both channels don't light until about 30% even though one has the modified curve. I swapped the position of the two Olsen 595s to see if the problem moves with the Olsen/Ren-C combo. It doesn't. The first Olsen works properly and the second doesn't. Then I swapped the second Olsen with another Olsen/Ren-C (I have 4 of them) and get the same results every time. Any ideas would be appreciated as I have run out of tests that I can think of to isolate the problem.

dirknerkle
08-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Interesting problem!!!

When only one 595/Ren-C is connected, does it work properly with both curves? How about the other one?

How about if you swap Ren-Cs, do they both work properly when tested separately then? The idea here is to make sure both Ren-Cs are working with either 595 equally, which would eliminate issues with either 595 or either Ren-C.

If both work singly, and all the boards are interchangeable, then the issue seems to point to software and not to a hardware conflict of some type.

Hmmmm....:confused:

XmasInGalt
08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I tested all the Olsens in turn (only one connected at a time) and they all dimmed like they should using the dimming curves. When I reconnect a second Olsen behind the 1st (with a dimming curve assigned to the 65th channel), the dimming curve does not work on the 2nd Olsen. I swapped out all my Olsen 595s in the 1st and 2nd positions and the results are consistent.

Warlock
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Seems to me it is a hardware issue..It is not seeing it as a combined number of channels..Instead it is seeing it as 2 boards...All the boards are fine,ren t's are fine and the ren c is also fine from your tests...So my guess is it is not seeing all the channels available...I would start looking at either a: connection issues seeing as you said it does not come on at all and simply see if you are getting a signal to the second 595 and b: make sure it is hooked up correctly to send the signal to the 2 595 boards...Other then that in theory it should be working (can you include a hook up diagram as that seems more likely the issue)