PDA

View Full Version : transferring from one computer to another

rwoomer
08-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I transferred Vixen 2.0 from one computer to another both XP with a memory stick. the sequence is hesitate. The audio is perfect it's the bar that goes acrossed that is hesitate and sometimes stops but the profile keeps playing then the timeing is off then the sequence jumps ahead to catch up.
Roger

dirknerkle
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I transferred Vixen 2.0 from one computer to another both XP with a memory stick. the sequence is hesitate. The audio is perfect it's the bar that goes acrossed that is hesitate and sometimes stops but the profile keeps playing then the timeing is off then the sequence jumps ahead to catch up.
Roger

Different computers often have different sound processing electronics, the hard disk drives may be faster/slower, a disk cache could have been on for one computer and not the other, the amount of RAM memory in the computers may be different, the processor chips may be of different speeds and types and the system processes running in the background on one computer may be different as well. All of the above make it impossible to know whether transferring Vixen and your sequences from one computer will work with the other computer -- you just have to try it to decide whether you like the result or not.

It's a little like saying "I was driving my old car that had a 300 horsepower motor but I just got into my new car and it doesn't run the same way."

BuzzKill
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I think what Dirknerkle was trying to say is maybe you could provide some more information about the difference in the 2 computers. When you say you moved Vixen with a USB stick, are you trying to Run Vixen from the USB stick? If so, did you try copying all the Vixen files to the new computer and run directly from the hard drive? Maybe your USB stick, or the port on the other PC an older USB 1.1 standard and the data can't be read fast enough to run smoothly.

bmcgeeny
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I will be following this thread closely. I ran Vixen 1.0 on my stand alone show computer last year (yes I know I was behind) It ran the show for 38 days without a hitch. Now I have upgraded all my sequences to 2.0 and been working with them on a differnt machine. Decided I probably should load everything on the show machine and make sure it runs. The audio is just slightly distorted and all the controls run extreemly slow. Is it possible that the machine can run all ok, but not preview?

The show machine is a 1.2 ghz and the one I have been sequencing on, (that flys through it) is a 2.2 ghz The 1.2 has 1/2 gig of Ram while the 2.2 only has 448 mhz so it's not ram.

I have been running from a 16 gig Geek Squad mem stick and it makes no differnce if I copy it to the hard drive.

I am really hoping the old show computer works because that's the one I installed the Moxa Board in.

We did just buy two new computers with Vista on them and I cannot get Vixen to run on either of them. Yes, I know I am behind with 2.0 but I tried the upgrade to 2.5 that wacked a bunch of sequences out of sync. I just don't have time to go through it one more time.

dirknerkle
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I will be following this thread closely. I ran Vixen 1.0 on my stand alone show computer last year (yes I know I was behind) It ran the show for 38 days without a hitch. Now I have upgraded all my sequences to 2.0 and been working with them on a differnt machine. Decided I probably should load everything on the show machine and make sure it runs. The audio is just slightly distorted and all the controls run extreemly slow. Is it possible that the machine can run all ok, but not preview?

Yes. Processing real-time graphics is more processor-intensive than just playing the sequence, especially with a box that has only 512mb and perhaps an embedded video card instead of a seperate video accelerator.

The show machine is a 1.2 ghz and the one I have been sequencing on, (that flys through it) is a 2.2 ghz The 1.2 has 1/2 gig of Ram while the 2.2 only has 448 mhz so it's not ram.

It can be just that. XP does "okay" at 512mb of ram, but when it has to shell out to the page file (hard disk-based memory) to process bigger things than can be in RAM, things usually get a bit slower. Sometimes a LOT slower and jerky.

I have been running from a 16 gig Geek Squad mem stick and it makes no differnce if I copy it to the hard drive.

I am really hoping the old show computer works because that's the one I installed the Moxa Board in.

We did just buy two new computers with Vista on them and I cannot get Vixen to run on either of them. Yes, I know I am behind with 2.0 but I tried the upgrade to 2.5 that wacked a bunch of sequences out of sync. I just don't have time to go through it one more time.

The fastest and least expensive way to improve a computer's performance is to eliminate extraneous applications that may be running concurrently on it. Costs you nothing other than your time. What you're left with is the base performance of the box. If it still is marginal or you feel it's underperforming, the next best thing is to add fast RAM. Get the fastest RAM chips your motherboard can handle and put 2 to 4 GB in. XP's performance increase from 512mb to 1GB is quite noticeable, and from 1 to 2GB is even better, especially if you have other apps running.

If you have a dual (or quad) core CPU, you can also offload various system functions to one of the co-processors, leaving Vixen to run on its own processor. Faster yet.

The biggest screen performance improvement you'll get is to replace an on-board video card with a 512mb or larger video accelerator. Very sweet. You'll find the whole sequence can load into video memory and bypass the motherboard's buss altogether. Now you're talking performance!