PDA

View Full Version : Roger's 5 foot star

51fordf2
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Here's some pics of my 5' star - I plan on putting 4 more segments on it, between each, to make it 8-sided. I am planning on using 8 channels of rope light, and my ropelight is in 24" sections, where I can cut it. So, the sides of the "points" are 24" (a 48" piece over-bent in half), and the five "flats" in the middle are 15 inches. I basically made 5 triangles with sides of 24" X 24" X 15", and welded them together. Then I joined all the corners of the flats, and had a one-dimensional star. I then made half-stars - two triangle sections as above, and then took a single 24" side, and a 7 1/2" flat, and welded them perpendicular to the first star. I then did it again, on the other side, giving me a 4-sided star. The last 4 segments will be done the same as the 1/2 stars, giving me an 8-sided star. Should be easy to animate, as each of the 8 "sides" will be on a separate channel. I can rotate it, or even start at the one side, and light each segment afterwards in order, or just about anything. Not sure what will look good, only through experimentation will I know. This will go on the porch, in front of the cupola...

Just thought I'd share...I'll update when I get the other segments done, and lights on it.

Roger

lboucher
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice, this will help convice the wife i need a welder.

budude
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice, this will help convice the wife i need a welder.

Was thinking the same thing but don't think it will fly...:-(

51fordf2
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Maybe after I get it done?....I'm hoping it will look as good as it does in my dreams!

I gotta figure out a way, to take movies!!

My wife's pretty cool - lets me have just about whatever I want. We only have ONE thing in common......we both love ME!!!

:)

Roger

dirknerkle
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
my wife's pretty cool - lets me have just about whatever i want. We only have one thing in common......we both love me!!!

:)

roger

roflmao!!!

lbro
08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Looks great Rodger.
I still say, I love that house.

51fordf2
08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Lou - how'd you like to donate to the upkeep?? :) It's really not TOO bad, but is kind of rough. Built in 1891, and they somewhat hacked it when they brought water in, and then some more when they got rid of the wood heat, and then once again, when they "electrified" it. Had knob and tube, but that's mostly replaced, still replacing the "lead pipe"...but, paid $25,000 for it, and last appraisal (before the bust) was $190K. I've done worse...

I have the other segments in place - looks pretty good! I have to figure out a way to add a little more support, then a stand, to lift it up a foot or foot and a half. I used free steel, and it's almost too light. 1/4" would be preferable, but the price was right. Thought about making it "knock-down", but figure I'll just cut it in 1/2 after Christmas, and weld it again, next year. Easy-peasy. Maybe I'll get some lights on it by the weekend.

R

WWNF911
08-06-2009, 06:07 AM
The last 4 segments will be done the same as the 1/2 stars, giving me an 8-sided star. Should be easy to animate, as each of the 8 "sides" will be on a separate channel. I can rotate it, or even start at the one side, and light each segment afterwards in order, or just about anything. Not sure what will look good, only through experimentation will I know. This will go on the porch, in front of the cupola...

Just thought I'd share...I'll update when I get the other segments done, and lights on it.

Roger

Looks terrific Roger!

Should be called "Roger's 5 foot Octo-star" :lol:

dirknerkle
08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
It really does look fabulous. How heavy is it going to be? After you get all those lights on it, will the frame be strong enough to be lifted and mounted? Geez, come to think of it, will you be able to lift it at all? You might need a cherry picker to put it up!!!

51fordf2
08-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Without the stand, and two stings of lights, I can still lift it with one arm. Haven't even begun to come up with an idea of a stand - has to be substantial, as well as have room to be weighted down with sandbags or similar. I have several HUGE chunks of lead, from balance weights from a T-34 Mentor training airplane. Might incorporate them into it. I'll come up with something.

I figure I can haul it up with a rope, hand-over-hand from the ground. I hope....

Octo-Star...I LIKE that!

R

kostyun
08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Darn you Roger creating a star like mine!!!

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiA8PyQqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Mine is also 8 sided - I did make mine collapsable - there are nuts welded to the top of each of the 8 segments, and I will them bolt it to the top mast for the mega tree, and then use 4 exhaust clamps for the final hold-down.

Also - with the 8 channels - and rotating capabilities you will LOVE! I've had mine built/done for about two weeks now - did a little testing with some of the songs I have sequenced - and I love it!

51fordf2
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Frank - your "Frank's 2-foot star" thread was my inspiration - thought I mentioned that, meant to. I didn't know you had gone with an "Octo-Star", though. I'm happy to hear you say it looks good! I think it will, but I need to paint it with Chassis Saver paint, then top-coat it, before I put the lights on. I did put a couple strings on, temporarily, just to get some idea of how it will look. Brand new ropelight, and found a bulb burned out! Oh well, can't have everything! Anyway, thanks for the idea...

Already planning for next year's Mega-tree - won't happen this year, but with a whole year to plan, who knows how it will end up??

R

g2ktcf
08-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I really have to get a welder or at least a torch that I can silver solder with. I love all these designs...keep them coming!

chilloutdocdoc
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I really have to get a welder or at least a torch that I can silver solder with. I love all these designs...keep them coming!

My two-year goal as well, don't know if i should bite the bullet and get a welder or just get a torch and continually pay for fuel, possibly o2 as well.

wm_r_martin@hotmail.com
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD PRICE FOR A 220V WELDER Was $489.99 SALE $399.00

Northern Industrial MIG 175 Wire Feed Welder 230V, 22-175 Amp, Model# MIG 175
Order Today and Save $90.99

The Northern Industrial MIG 175 Wire Feed Welder easily handles a wide variety of light-duty welding projects with ease. Welds mild steel up to 5/16in., plus aluminum and stainless steel.

Check It OUT: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200342924_200342924

Elmo2resc
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
The hell with that star....I love that house...
It really is a nice looking star. Great job!

51fordf2
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
The hell with that star....I love that house...
It really is a nice looking star. Great job!

Thanks!! On both!

When we got it, it had been painted (actually, HOSED!) every few years, with yellow paint, without scraping or anything. Took me 4 years, of almost constant work, stripping all the paint off with a needle gun and heat gun, before primering it. The paint was so thick in places, you could hardly see the siding! Looked almost smooth! But, the price was right. It still has the original oak trim, unpainted. Foot high baseboards, 6" door casings, etc. The right side of the picture, is an addition I built about 12 years ago. Had to mimic all the original woodwork, so I was buying 4 X 6's, and milling them down to true 2" X 4" lumber, not the smaller 2 X 4's you have to buy today. Building the window frames and trim was the hardest part. My computer/blinky room is the downstairs of the addition. Plumbing came in in '14, and I haven't been able to find when the electrical came in. We bought the house furnished with antiques, and almost paid for the addition, PLUS the tools to do it, with what we got for the antiques! Got very lucky. The old man was 90, going into a nursing home, and the kids didn't want to mess with it, or an auction or anything. They had JUST lowered the price down $9,000, to $25,000 the day I bought it.

Roger