PDA

View Full Version : Screw In SSR? (or controller??)

LabRat
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
In the suburbs where I reside, each and every house has a small (5') "Lamp Standard" at the lead edge of their lawn. These have the obligatory "plastic bowl" atop them, and are generally very unappealing all around.

As I sit here contemplating my BlinkyFlashy, I realized that I don't want that fardling thing coming on, and sitting there like a huge white bowling ball, throughout the presentation.

Option 1 - unscrew the bulb and leave it blank
Option2 - unscrew the bulb, leave it blank, and rig up a small "midi tree" (not quite MEGA)
Develop a "screw in " SSR unit so that I can control the light.
Develop a screw in SSR unit with 4 channels so that I can put RGBW LED's inside the globe
Etc etc.

Anyone done something like this before? Or am I breaking new ground?

ppohlman
07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Option2 - unscrew the bulb, leave it blank, and rig up a small "midi tree" (not quite MEGA)
Develop a screw in SSR unit with 4 channels so that I can put RGBW LED's inside the globe
Etc etc.

This is what I did for my front yard lamp post. All I needed was the Cat5 cable going into the globe. I liked the final effect and a bunch of visitors asked me about it.

If you can get into the globe, I'd at least screw in one of those adapters to get power from it. That way you have one less extension cord running from the house.

LabRat
07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
This is what I did for my front yard lamp post. All I needed was the Cat5 cable going into the globe. I liked the final effect and a bunch of visitors asked me about it.

If you can get into the globe, I'd at least screw in one of those adapters to get power from it. That way you have one less extension cord running from the house.

Pictures??

Yes.. I've got access into the globe, and I would even purchase a replacement globe that I could modify with a "sealed" jack, or cable
attachment for control. Not sure about how much space I would have
onece I screw in a power adapter. But this is exactly the route I was
thinking of going. :)

ppohlman
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I've got some pictures at home, I'll post them here when I get a chance.

I think I might also have some video too.

RPM
08-02-2009, 12:39 AM
In the suburbs where I reside, each and every house has a small (5') "Lamp Standard" at the lead edge of their lawn. These have the obligatory "plastic bowl" atop them, and are generally very unappealing all around.

As I sit here contemplating my BlinkyFlashy, I realized that I don't want that fardling thing coming on, and sitting there like a huge white bowling ball, throughout the presentation.

Etc etc.

I've seen an X10 screw in unit that is used to turn on/off a light.

Check it out http://www.smarthome.com/2005CM/X10-SocketRocket-Lamp-Module-LM15A-PSM04-RLM20/p.aspx

dirknerkle
08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Why not get another one to match, wrap some red & white tape around it and turn it into a giant candy cane?

kostyun
08-02-2009, 01:18 AM
could get an adapter that screws in to the socket and creates a 2 prong outlet....... I have some of those I use in a few sockets for the column amps in the front of the house - plug the SSR into that

ppohlman
09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry it's been so long for me to post some of the pictures posted. I've been busy and almost forgot about this thread.

Anyway, enough of my excuses, here are some pictures:

1) Complete unit - RJ45 socket is on the top.
2) Bottom of unit - Screw in socket and fuse jack on the bottom
3) Close up of LED "panels"

The housing was made from a small screw on container I found at Walmart. It was either a ziploc or rubbermaid brand (I don't remember).

I used an extremely simple circuitry to light up the LEDs using AC power so they don't really dim very well, but they do light up great.
I received a bunch of comments about how it was cool that I even got the lamp post light to change colors as well.

***** EDIT *****
After getting home and checking the packages, the housing is indeed made of a RUBBERMAID container. I have added a photo of the container package for reference.

LabRat
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
That is sooooooo coool. Exactly the sort of thing I was envisioning.
Well done!

Sorry it's been so long for me to post some of the pictures posted. I've been busy and almost forgot about this thread.

Anyway, enough of my excuses, here are some pictures:

1) Complete unit - RJ45 socket is on the top.
2) Bottom of unit - Screw in socket and fuse jack on the bottom
3) Close up of LED "panels"

The housing was made from a small screw on container I found at Walmart. It was either a ziploc or rubbermaid brand (I don't remember).

I used an extremely circuitry to light up the LEDs using AC power so they don't really dim very well, but they do light up great.
I received a bunch of comments about how it was cool that I even got the lamp post light to change colors as well.

dirknerkle
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Very, very creative!!! In the TRUE DIYC spirit!!!

RPM
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Very nice. Is there a DCSSR built inside?

Robert

ppohlman
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Thank you for your compliments. It means a lot coming from the people on this forum.

Very nice. Is there a DCSSR built inside?

I didn't have the parts on hand for a DC SSR, it's just the standard SSRoz parts arranged on a breadboard to minimize the space. I used a simple RC circuit and alternated the LEDs after the SSRoz to power them off of the AC voltage. Because of the capacitors it doesn't really dim, but it works well enough for my uses.

Here's a close up of the SSR portion of the light.

ppohlman
09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I actually wrote up a How-To and submitted it for the DIYC contest last season. Since I didn't have video of it online, I wasn't added to the official contest.

If people are interested, I'll see if I still have it and I can post it here.

Macrosill
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I actually wrote up a How-To and submitted it for the DIYC contest last season. Since I didn't have video of it online, I wasn't added to the official contest.

If people are interested, I'll see if I still have it and I can post it here.

Absolutely!

ppohlman
09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Absolutely!

Ask and ye shall receive.

XmasInGalt
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
This is cool. I gotta make one of these to check it out. thanks ppohlman!!

Macrosill
09-03-2009, 08:56 PM
That is a great How-To!

Thanks for sharing.

Ponddude
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
This idea is brilliant in my mind and I want to use it!! However, I would like to create LED light bulbs for my north pole lights. Is there a way, or even a schematic that shows how to do this with a full wave rectifier?

Great idea!

ppohlman
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
This idea is brilliant in my mind and I want to use it!! However, I would like to create LED light bulbs for my north pole lights. Is there a way, or even a schematic that shows how to do this with a full wave rectifier?

Great idea!

There are several different circuit designs that I have found on the web. The one that I chose to use was the easiest to implement and I already had most of the parts. Attached are two of the circuits that I found online that power LEDs with AC power.

1) The simple Resistor/Capacitor circuit that I used.
2) A circuit that includes a full wave rectifier.

ppohlman
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
... Because of the capacitors it doesn't really dim, ...

*** UPDATE ***
With the capability of the dimming curves in Vixen 2.5.0.8, I was able to adapt the power being sent to the LEDs to get them to dim properly.

I am now extremely pleased with the outcome of this project now that I have more control on the dimming capability. Thanks KC for that addition.