PDA

View Full Version : ... but I can't run a group buy....

oldcqr
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Sorry, I don't know if I should have asked this in a PM or in public. I picked here ;)

I need to order some wireframe clips. I have a source that has a substantial discount (30% ish) if I can get up an order of 5 or more boxes. I was planning on asking over on PlanetChristmas if anyone wants to go in.

I'd like to offer the same thing to people here, but I'd run foul of the Group Buy rules (specifically that I need to be a member for 1 year). Is there some way I can (within the rules) offer them here? I know there are people here that would vouch for me (since I have done a bunch of buying & selling), but rules are rules!

WWNF911
07-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Well Mike,

You're right rules are rules.

According to the rules (Rule #20) , you can run it off site and you're allowed to mention it / the offer in one single post.

Thats it.

Leon

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2919

daviddth
07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I understand the rules, but find it odd that with 240+ posts, and a pretty good history, Mike cant run a group buy..... Ah well, I hope his 1 mention nets 10 boxes :) Oh wait, are these for lamps, or ropelight? Size of both sizes of the clips would be appreciated Mike (Via PM please) as I might be interested........

:)

51fordf2
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Mike - although I understand the reasons for the rules, it can be tough, especially when you find a really good deal.

From what I have seen here in the past a few times, you have just "asked the question", not posted that ONE announcement, as you haven't answered any questions someone ELSE might have - price, qty, how, when, where, etc, you just asked how to go about it. Your question has been answered, you are allowed to post ONE announcement, of the "off the list" group buy. I have seen the announcement posted in several places in the past, but I would post it where you think the clips would get the most exposure on that ONE announcement. I would tend to post it in the "Group Buy".

I would have ALL my info together - what they are, how many you need to buy, what the costs are, etc, etc, and put it together in the announcement, along with the group buy rules, and a very serious explanation that it is the ONE announcement, that it IS off-list, and that ALL correspondence, etc, is away from the forum. I would even suggest to use JUST your email, and not PM's - keeps it free from the forum, as well as it can be a lot more organized, from my experience. You might even get one of the mod's to close the thread, after the announcement is made, so that people don't tend to answer here. These are just my observations. I made two rounds of "group buy"s for Helix parts, for a total of well over $1500, as well as a "sort of" buy for RJ45 Jacks, that I had purchased (2700 of them). Both went very smoothly, and I had zero complaints.

That seems to adhere very well to the rules, and I'm sure if any of the Mod's have exception to it, they'll let you know. But, these are just my observations...

Good luck with it, I'll be watching, as I may need some clips...

Roger

oldcqr
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Excellent replies. Thanks!

I'm not upset that I can't run a group buy, and I appologize if it comes off that way. I know the value of rules and don't mind playing by them. I know I am trustworthy, have a good record, etc - but I get that from playing BY the rules ;)

Once I have complete details, I will post what I have off-site and then link it here.

WWNF911
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
From what I have seen here in the past a few times, you have just "asked the question", not posted that ONE announcement, as you haven't answered any questions someone ELSE might have - price, qty, how, when, where, etc, you just asked how to go about it. Your question has been answered, you are allowed to post ONE announcement, of the "off the list" group buy.

True, sorry if I gave that impression. :oops:

I'm not upset that I can't run a group buy, and I appologize if it comes off that way.

Not at all Mike. Good luck!

Leon

51fordf2
07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
True, sorry if I gave that impression. :oops:

Leon

not at all, Leon...I was just putting emphasis to try and suggest it was within the realm of the rules, not that you had implied differently.

R

Wayne J
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Just remember guys (and I will keep it short, so don't take it the wrong way)... The rules were made to protect you, both buyers and organizers. Most of the members here that have not met the one year requirement, was not around when a few group buys went bad and forced the rules to be put in place. I'm not going to give a history lesson on it, if you want to know, you can search them up and see how bad they got in public, let alone the PM's and emails that got involved. Just a plain mess. One year is the requirement for a forum Group Buy and an off-site option for those not meeting that is just the way it is. Very fair deal for all. ;)