PDA

View Full Version : LED Strobe Question

ishane
07-19-2009, 02:44 PM
After seeing the LED strobes by Creative Displays at the Carolina Mini I decided to give them a try.

I ordered 10 of them and they look great. The problem I have is that with all 10 on the same light string, the first 4 or 5 flashes of the entire string are all in sync. After that they seem to randomize just fine.

I could put several on different channels and program a delay that way, but wanted to see if there may be other options.

Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, what can I do to get the random flashing when the channel is first activated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xtreme christmas
07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I have been wonder the same thing. Can't wait to see what some of the creative people in this forum come up with.

WWNF911
07-19-2009, 03:29 PM
After a talk with RJ, I tested the strobes through vixen. There is a threshhold at which they will not strobe but just glow. I found that by doing this for a smal period (4-5 seconds) prior to when I want em to flash that I could decrease the time at which they flash together down to somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds. The plan now is to split em up to possibly 3 channels, stagger the channels and use the glow technique. I haven't tested it yet but it should work. It would be nice if Paul could get the manufacturer to make 3-4 different delays on their stores to accomplish the effect we need.

Leon

BTW - I am curious of what others have experienced. I ordered 25 and got 2 duds. Anyone else experience this fail ratio?

ishane
07-20-2009, 01:14 PM
None fo the 10 that ordered were duds. Or, should I say, they all flash, just not they way I was expecting. :)

I would rather not have to tie up 3 or 4 channels to handls the strobes, but if it works, so be it. Thanks for the tip on dimming them. I will give that a try as well.

ishane
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
OK, based on some of what Leon posted I tried some more tests, and believe I have found a reliable working solution.

I have 10 strobes connected to a single channel on a Ren24.

Using Vixen, I did the following...

-Mark the ON point and duration for the strobes normally.
-For 1 second prior to the ON point, set the intensity to 25%.
( I call this the charge step )

I did notice that you may have to adjust the ON point slightly after you set the charge step. The 25% level is low enough that the strobes do not glow as Leon mentioned. You might see a very faint blink, but it is so fast and dim that I dont think it will be an issue.

I only have the 10 strobes, so I dont know if more strobes = a longer charge time or not. It would be interesting to see what others find out.

Just thought I would pass along the findings.

christmas-light
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I do not know if this can help, but look at it :D

http://www.christmasinkent.com/howto/HowToChaseStrobes.htm

WWNF911
07-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Those are the regular curtain strobes. They do not experience the non-random pattern that these LED strobes have. Thanks for trying to help though.

Leon