PDA

View Full Version : RPM's DMX

kfindley
07-13-2009, 01:35 AM
i have my dmx build just havent hooked it up yet been very busy lately and i was wandering if i could just cut the female end off of an extansion cord and use that to power it.

JEC
07-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Generally a DMX signal is happiest traveling on cable containing a twisted pair for data and foil / braided shield for ground.

I wouldn't trust the signal integrity to hold more than a couple feet on any other type of cable...

Some people have had good success using a twisted pair + one other conductor from a cat5 (network) cable.

DynamoBen
07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I know of someone who sent DMX down a barbed wire fence, only really worked for about 2 feet.

To answer your question, the capacitance, resistances, and makeup of an extension cord doesn't really work for DMX. If you are just running a test alligator clip cables (jumpers) or paper clips should work.

TimW
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Is the question about how to provide DMX signal to the board or how to power it?

(if its powering the board... don't use the paper clips... or the barbed wire!!! :) )

RPM
07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
If you are looking for a way to power your Grinch DMX dimmer, yes you can use a cut off extension cord to power it.

If you need help getting it setup, please PM me.

Robert

kfindley
07-14-2009, 05:17 AM
yes it was about powering it. Sorry for the confusion bout that it was a long day for me. Thats wat i thought just wanted to double check myself b4 i did anything to it