PDA

View Full Version : strobes and SSR's don't play nice together

xmus
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM
So I'm setting up my Halloween display, and i hooked up a strobe to one of the channels. It kind worked really strange, unpredictable, basically worthless. Then I remembered "only use with inductive loads".... so i hooked up a single 7watt c7 bulb on the same channel (just screwed it in, inside my water master case) and then it worked perfectly.. just needed a little inductive loading on the same channel.

I had a test pattern running on Vixen, random, ramps, etc, and it didn't seem to hurt the strobe by the way..... it just kinda takes the abuse apparently.

DynamoBen
10-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Actually it is "only dim inductive loads." As long as you're not trying to dim the strobes (just on/off) then you are fine. If you try to dim it you will damage it.

From your description the problem you had was the load wasn't using enough current to keep the SSR open.

xmus
10-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Actually it is "only dim inductive loads." As long as you're not trying to dim the strobes (just on/off) then you are fine. If you try to dim it you will damage it.

From your description the problem you had was the load wasn't using enough current to keep the SSR open.

I actually tried to force the channel on 100% of the time, and that didn't work..... I had to have the C7 (7 watt) in there for it to work...

Macrosill
10-12-2007, 07:40 AM
I had to have the C7 (7 watt) in there for it to work...

For the exact reason Ben wrote: