PDA

View Full Version : Printing mirrored silkscreen images

ctmal
07-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm just putting this out there to hopefully save others a headache I've run into.

I am self etching some boards I've designed in ExpressPCB using the toner method and I wanted to add a silkscreen. The problem I ran into is that my Samsung Laser printer does not have a mirror image setting.

My first attempt was to print the silkscreen using PrimoPDF, do a print screen and use GIMP to resize the image to the correct size. It worked but the quality of the image was horrible.

I finally found the solution....PrimoPDF itself has a mirror setting. Here are the steps I used to get the inverted image.
1. In ExpressPCB, print the silkscreen(or any layer you need inverted) to PrimoPDF. This will open the printed pdf file in Adobe Reader.
2. In Adobe Reader, Select File>Print Setup. Change the printer to PrimoPDF and select Properties. Towards the bottom of the Advance options page click on the + sign next to PostScript Options. Click Mirrored output and change it to yes. Click Ok 3 times to get out of Print Setup.
3. Select file>print. Make sure PrimoPDF is selected. When PrimoPDF opens you'll need to change the filename in the "Save As" section. Select create PDF. Adobe Reader will open with the inverted image.
4. Print the pdf to your laser printer.

Good luck,
Chris

budude
07-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't have ExpressPCB but by any chance is there an option in it to flip the image? That would seem like a typical option for PCB software to me!

ctmal
07-02-2009, 07:53 AM
I wish...there would've never been an issue if there was.

g2ktcf
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
PCB Express was not meant for this type of work. It was made to submit designs to the vendor. That is why you have issues doing a mirror print. This is one of several reasons that I no longer use it.

Wayne J
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I finally found the solution....PrimoPDF itself has a mirror setting. Here are the steps I used to get the inverted image.
1. In ExpressPCB, print the silkscreen(or any layer you need inverted) to PrimoPDF. This will open the printed pdf file in Adobe Reader.
2. In Adobe Reader, Select File>Print Setup. Change the printer to PrimoPDF and select Properties. Towards the bottom of the Advance options page click on the + sign next to PostScript Options. Click Mirrored output and change it to yes. Click Ok 3 times to get out of Print Setup.
3. Select file>print. Make sure PrimoPDF is selected. When PrimoPDF opens you'll need to change the filename in the "Save As" section. Select create PDF. Adobe Reader will open with the inverted image.
4. Print the pdf to your laser printer

Yep, that's how I do it.

ctmal
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep, that's how I do it.

I should've figured you already had it figured out!:grin:

Wayne J
07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I should've figured you already had it figured out!:grin:
LOL, yeah, it took me a bit to figure out also. I wanted to do a double sided board a couple years ago, and had to mirror the top layer, then I started the silkscreens also. I just never posted how to do it, so good post!! Thanks for sharing with everyone. :cool: