PDA

View Full Version : Show is stuttering

Santa Don
06-30-2009, 11:37 PM
I have been running my July 4th show for a week now and it has run flawlessly.... until tonight. Every minute or so the lights and music stutter for a second or two, then it plays ok for a minute. I'm thinking computer since both lights and music do it at the same time. And, I usually play a patriotic internet radio station for awhile before the first show starts and it was doing it too. I am running Vixen software and three Renard 16's. Any ideas what may be happening? I am getting close to panic mode because Channel 2 is supposed to be out Thursday evening. I am no computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination, so would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Santa Don

toodle_pipsky
07-01-2009, 04:06 AM
"Have you tried turning it off then on?" Heheheheheehe (IT Crowd)

Seriously . . . off the top of my head, just a simple reboot usually fixes 99% of any problems I've ever had. Sorry if you've already done that.

Ronp
07-01-2009, 07:22 AM
tootles right. low ram will cause the shutter. If it was running fine before then a
restart of the pc may be the fix.

Santa Don
07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Problem identified but not yet resolved. It was my wireless router. When I disabled it, the stutter cleared up. My internet quit working yesterday and I had to call tech support at Linksys. They did a software and firmware update. The internet problem was gone, but the stutter replaced it. I am going to have to call them back and see if they can ge rid if that problem now. By the way, my first step was to reboot. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Santa Don

Macrosill
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Just for informational purposes, what version of Vixen are you running?

ctmal
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Do you have Windows automatic updates turned on? If it is trying to update everytime it sees a network connection it can cause some slowdowns(Same holds true for antivirus software, etc).

51fordf2
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree with Chris - it's possible that something is running in the background, that's stopping Vixen momentarily. I've cured that, by using an old "dedicated" computer, without any programs except those absolutely required to run the show. Not even connected to the i'net.

R

Santa Don
07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Just for informational purposes, what version of Vixen are you running?

I'm running Vixen 2.0.9.0 and I LOVE it.

I think all of my update stuff is set to ask first.

If you Google Linksys and stutter, you get quite a few hits, so it seems to be a widespread problem.

Yeah, my goal is to pick up a computer that I can dedicate to the show and nothing else.

agbrint
07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I used to have a similar stuttering issue with one of my PCs. Through a lot of research I discovered that my wireless PCI card (draft-n) had issues which caused the stutter when it was connected to a draft-n router.
I was able to remove the stutter by either disabling the wireless card, or changing the routers settings down to b/g only.

If i remember correctly, the card in question was a Netgear WN311b, however it also affected a lot of other similar cards, all using the Broadcom 4321AG chipset. If you have this chipset and one of the above solutions help you, there are third party drivers that will allow the card to work. I ended up using an updated HP driver (which I still have if you need it) that I found on the internet - as Netgear (like others) refused to update their driver... It worked great, just lost me the (annoying) netgear wireless software!

Hope this helps!