PDA

View Full Version : WHERE Is your G R I N C H????

dadams14
05-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I struggle with this all the time...
Last year I placed my pc and grinch in my garage and ran all of my cat5s out the window to the ssrs, most over 60 feet away... This ate up a lot of cable. I only had 32 channels..
Now I want to expand to 64 channels (small steps )...
Should I
1. Keep my grinch in the garage , out of the weather , and continue running massive amounts of cat5 to the yard?
or
2. Move the grinch to a weather proof box in the yard near the ssrs .?

I know you guys with many many channels have addressed this and I would love for you to give your opinions...
Thanks in advance
Dennis

RichF
05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
I do not have a Grinch but I do have 4 595 boards and I place all of them out in the yard in various places. I only have 4 cat 5 wires leaving from my garage. 2 for 5vdc power to power the SSR's and the boards and 2 for data to each pair of 2 595 boards. This year I will have 5 wires leaving my garage as I am adding 10 ren-24's

dnesci
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
My two Grinches were in the garage and I ran 1100' of Cat5. Yes that was 32 cat5 cables. Several of the cables were over 50' long. The cat5 come out of the bottom of my garage doors (on both sides of the door). This year going to 2 Ren64 and 2 Ren24 in the yard and only using 1 Grinch in the garage.

Aurbo99
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
My two Grinches were in the garage and I ran 1100' of Cat5. Yes that was 32 cat5 cables. Several of the cables were over 50' long. The cat5 come out of the bottom of my garage doors (on both sides of the door). This year going to 2 Ren64 and 2 Ren24 in the yard and only using 1 Grinch in the garage.

I did exactly the same with my Grinch and 2 Ren64's, nearly 2000' feet of Cat5 and 9 power cords snaking their way out my garage and across the yard.

This year I'm looking at using a large weather proof electrical box with some water tight glands to allow the cat's to be shorter by moving the Grinch and Ren's into this box in the yard.

Wayne J
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I have 6 Renard XC's and over 90 SSRs. The controllers are indoors and I have over 4000' of cat5 running around with 90+ cables. It takes 3 large tubs to store it all. I do bundle the runs to make it as one cable, so it is easier to roll up and put away. I don't think that cables are a real issue until the count goes up to 100 channels or so, then it starts to become cumbersome.

http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/files/pictures/th/2008dth.jpg (http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/files/pictures/2008d.jpg)

NogginBoink
05-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Anecdotal evidence is that long cable runs between the PC and the Grinch can cause data corruption. I'd do some testing before making the decision to locate the Grinches away from the PC.

dnesci
05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I have 6 Renard XC's and over 90 SSRs. The controllers are indoors and I have over 4000' of cat5 running around with 90+ cables. It takes 3 large tubs to store it all. I do bundle the runs to make it as one cable, so it is easier to roll up and put away. I don't think that cables are a real issue until the count goes up to 100 channels or so, then it starts to become cumbersome.

http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/files/pictures/th/2008dth.jpg (http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/files/pictures/2008d.jpg)

Hey Wayne, is the dog guarding all those cables going out the window? I never thought to get the dog involved in the project.

Don

Wayne J
05-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Wayne, is the dog guarding all those cables going out the window? I never thought to get the dog involved in the project.

Don

LOL..Yep... she'll chew your ankles off before you can say "RJ45" :p

deplanche
05-27-2009, 09:50 PM
If you can afford the cables and don't mind the looks of them in the yard, I think keeping the grinch inside, away from weather, vandals, and critters would be best. There are many ways you can make it work outside very easily, so that is an option if you want to take that route. I just don't keep the "brains" outside... just have the SSRs otuside because i have extras of those.

scorpia
05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
yeah if you want the brains outside it might be better to look at the different renard (or similar) boards with the onboard ssr's.

i find them easier to deal with than multiple ssr's around the place. but i have alot of strings coming from one corner or the house, so it makes sense to me to have a controler there

WakeFan
05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I placed my 2 595's in the yard 2 years ago. You do need to test it. I had some data issues with a 25' run, but most everyone couldn't tell. I could spot them every time. Last year, I changed my 595's to a Ren64 and it was in the middle of the yard. I have about 40 cables around 500' total. I am using several Ren24's as well.

piesrule58
05-28-2009, 03:22 AM
For 2008 I had 3 Grinches and 48 SSR's all located in the Garage. I simply added wire to the light strings and ran them back to the SSR's in the Garage.

klanger
05-28-2009, 07:01 AM
I put my Grinch and 595 ina cabinet on the verandah, (under cover) and the ssr's in an other cabinet on the verandah, and like Terry just extended all the hook up wires back to the cabinets.

g2ktcf
05-28-2009, 07:06 AM
VERY NICE LAYOUT Kev!!!

klanger
05-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks Chris, unfortunatly for me, the devil is in the detail.
I would probably be happy just to get it all setup nice than run a show.lol

RPM
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I ran my Grinch out in the yard with my computer in the garage.

I used my DMX dimming interface, so all I needed was one Cat5 cable from the garage to the first Grinch (about 80 feet) and then split off from there to the rest of the DMX devices in the yard.

It's all mounted (Grinch/DMX Interface/DMX Splitter/Power transformer) in an Orbit sprinkler timer box and since it's right in the flower bed right next to a sprinkler head, I covered the whole thing up with a green trash bag and it stayed dry.

Here's a picture of it

dadams14
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I ran my Grinch out in the yard with my computer in the garage.

I used my DMX dimming interface, so all I needed was one Cat5 cable from the garage to the first Grinch (about 80 feet) and then split off from there to the rest of the DMX devices in the yard.

It's all mounted (Grinch/DMX Interface/DMX Splitter/Power transformer) in an Orbit sprinkler timer box and since it's right in the flower bed right next to a sprinkler head, I covered the whole thing up with a green trash bag and it stayed dry.

Here's a picture of it

I like your approach.. I ordered the dmx board , no splitter yet, I don't know where to start and it is almost June ....GEEZ look at the time!!!