PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it ?

dj merritt
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Ok I am moving to FL and will be living in an all brick home and today it just dawned on me that every year I have detailed my home with lights and now how in the heck will I mount them to the brick. so now if you have any Ideas please let me know what you come up with.

Thanks !!!
DJ Merritt

ppohlman
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
One thing that you can do is drill holes in the mortar between the bricks and insert those little plastic expandable wall anchors (as seen below).
Then you can screw hooks into the anchors to hold your lights.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/i/plastic1.jpg

chilloutdocdoc
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok I am moving to FL and will be living in an all brick home and today it just dawned on me that every year I have detailed my home with lights and now how in the heck will I mount them to the brick. so now if you have any Ideas please let me know what you come up with.

Thanks !!!
DJ Merritt

it depends on what type of lights you want to use

dj merritt
05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
The lights I will be hanging on the brick will be three sets for three colors of 100 count mini lights .

51fordf2
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I would recommend, building something to hold the lights, then attaching THAT to the brick. You should be able to use a lot fewer "intrusions" into the brick that way. Hope that makes sense...

Sort of like a wireframe - if you had to string the lights in the shape of, say, Santa, without the wireframe, you'd need a whole bunch of fasteners. But, with a wireframe, you just need one or two to hold the whole thing.

The expandable hangers are fairly small, and hardly noticeable. I would try to find a color that closely matches the brick. I would also probably shoot a gob of caulk that says it works on brick, in the hole before mounting the expandable hanger. It would help keep it in place, especially once the screw is out (sometime in May or June!!), plus keep water from welling in it.

At least that's how I would do it, but I'm always anxious to hear other people's takes on it.

Roger

dj merritt
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I would recommend, building something to hold the lights, then attaching THAT to the brick. You should be able to use a lot fewer "intrusions" into the brick that way. Hope that makes sense...

Sort of like a wireframe - if you had to string the lights in the shape of, say, Santa, without the wireframe, you'd need a whole bunch of fasteners. But, with a wireframe, you just need one or two to hold the whole thing.

The expandable hangers are fairly small, and hardly noticeable. I would try to find a color that closely matches the brick. I would also probably shoot a gob of caulk that says it works on brick, in the hole before mounting the expandable hanger. It would help keep it in place, especially once the screw is out (sometime in May or June!!), plus keep water from welling in it.

At least that's how I would do it, but I'm always anxious to hear other people's takes on it.

Roger

thanks I like your Ideas I was thinking on the lines of mounting a 1x2 and then staple to it but the thought was it would be to exposed thanks all and keep the ideas rolling I like to see what several great minds can come up with.

:p

51fordf2
05-27-2009, 12:17 PM
thanks I like your Ideas I was thinking on the lines of mounting a 1x2 and then staple to it but the thought was it would be to exposed
:p

That would work great, just be sure you paint it with a color very close to the brick, and it would "disappear". Maybe even a red flat primer? Of course, you might have different colored bricks. It would also help "preserve" it, from any weather. Of course, I'm sure you aren't worried about much snow, whereEVER in Florida you go!

:)

R

oldcqr
05-27-2009, 12:37 PM
If you go the fastener route, you'll need to learn about 2 different types.

The first are the plastic anchors people have already posted about. I personally use small ones in the same color as the house, combined with small cup hooks to hold light strings. I leave the cup-hooks in year round, since they can't be seen from a few feet away.

For attaching bigger stuff - think heavy light controllers, large wreaths, etc - I use Tapcons (http://www.tapcons.com/). You drill a hole using the included masonry bit, then screw the Tapcon in. You are going to need an electric drill/driver, otherwise you are going to twist your arm off. I don't recommend the slotted or phillips versions - go with the hex-head and use a hex driver. Since they are big, use them only where you need them and plan on removing them after the season. When you take them out, shoot some caulk into the hole and throw away the screw-they can't be re-used.

Warlock
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
What I have seen done is if the mortor joints are large enough(which is most often the case) you can slip the lights right into the joint easily..For larger items like a wreath etc . Then you the plastic holders with hooks..
It has worked in the past for alot of people..

ErnieHorning
05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I donít remember who it was otherwise I would be able to show you pictures. I remember someone assembling a lattice type of structure across the bricks and supported between the ground and the bottom of the eve or other brick structure. It was made of wood 1/2" x 2Ē slats. Maybe these are not the exact dimensions, but something similar. It looked like it was a pretty cheap method and it didnít damage the brick or mortar.

dirknerkle
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Duct tape. It's a solution looking for a problem. It's a "guy" thing -- what more needs to be said?

(My wife made me post this...)

-d

RichF
05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Why not use something Like this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000RN7K94/sr=8-6/qid=1243460599/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=1055398&s=home-garden&qid=1243460599&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000RN7K94/sr=8-6/qid=1243460599/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=1055398&s=home-garden&qid=1243460599&sr=8-6

Wayne J
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM

I have seen those on TV. From what I saw they work great!

ErnieHorning
05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Depending on how many you need and Iím guessing that you probably need quite a few to keep things from drooping, those clips can be quite expensive. One clip typically costs more than a string of miniís.

You also have to have a lip on the edge of your bricks. The mortar canít be flush with the face of the brick.

I think I also heard that someone used hot melt glue. I donít remember what they hung, but I remember that they said that the glue came off completely without leaving a residue.

oldcqr
05-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I think I also heard that someone used hot melt glue. I donít remember what they hung, but I remember that they said that the glue came off completely without leaving a residue.

Hot melt should work on TRUE brick. However if you have painted stucco, painted block, or stucco that has been troweled to look like brick, hot melt will take the paint/finish off.

deplanche
05-27-2009, 10:02 PM

I have some of those that I use to hang pictures on an indoor wall with a fireplace. But as was mentioned before, you can't have the mortar flush with the brick to use them. Plus, the teeth on them tend to scratch up the brick if you are putting them up and down repeatedly. For the pictures, that are staying up all the time, it works great. But outside, I would worry about damaging the brick in the long term. Also, not sure what they are made up, and if they would corrode with the weather or not.

dj merritt
05-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas there are A bunch of great people on here.
When I decide you know what I mean im like Bush I am the decider on this one and when I do I will share pics and Info on how it comes out just incase someone else can use the information. Again you guys are awsome and thanks for the input .
Bud Merritt :p

bmcgeeny
05-28-2009, 09:47 PM
I'll try and describe simply clips that fit in the mortar joints made from PVC. I am assuming we are talking standard fireplace size brick. It needs to have a mortar joint at least 3/8 " deep. Then it is just a matter of cutting either 1/2 or 3/4 round PVC both in 1/2 lengths and cutting part of the circumfrance off so it fits between the morter joints with a moderate amount of friction. Takes a little experimentation to get it right and sometime even then it takes some sorting to get on clip to fit in a specific location. I'll try and com up with a drawing of it.