PDA

View Full Version : Its working!

Daemon
05-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone who answered my newbie questions.
I have got my grinch and ren-c working and am most of the way through set up of the lights and transformers.

I appreciated all your help.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Cheers!
:lol:
Daemon

synnie
05-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Well done Daemon, very happy you have got it up and running....good luck with the rest:)
Synnie

TimW
05-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Congrats Daemon... a couple of great milestones there - bet it feels pretty good!

Tim

RichF
05-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Congratulations.

51fordf2
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Nothing like the feeling when a plan comes together! Most of my "goodies" are working now, just have the Triks-C to get going, then I am for the most part done...until the Helix gets here, of course...

Congrats!

Roger
"Lighting the world, one house at a time..."

ron d
05-23-2009, 07:02 PM
it was this time last year and i was out in the shed and the lights came alive. that was one of the best feelings of the entire light show just knowing for sure it would all work. congrats but get to work on all the other stuff now. mega stuff,mini stuff and sequences and think snow!!!!!!

WWNF911
05-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Congradulations!!!

:)

Wayne J
05-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Glad to see another one experiencing first time blinky flashy! You only get that feeling once and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Congratulations!!

Daemon
05-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone.

It was fantastic to finally have the lighting working!

I thought the transformer part would be plain sailing, but I have one more hurdle left apparently.

I tested the cables and ssrs with my tester and pieced it all together and threw a sequence together just using the wave form add in but only 2 or 3 of the outputs seem to work.

Attached the tester again and all 4 channels turn on with the tester but not with the sequence.

Any ideas why that might be anyone?
I do have a diode in my power supply still, do you think perhaps that may be limiting my voltage too much now I am using the ren-c?

Anything else it could be?

Cheers again all.

daviddth
05-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Did you set the baud rate for the particular com port to 57600 in both windows (control panel/system/ then Hardware tab, device manager & then Ports for win XP) as well as in Vixen?

Daemon
05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Did you set the baud rate for the particular com port to 57600 in both windows (control panel/system/ then Hardware tab, device manager & then Ports for win XP) as well as in Vixen?

Actually no. It never occurred to me.
I will give it a try.
Thanks

P. Short
05-24-2009, 04:17 PM

I've never had problems with setting the baud rate in the Vixen plugin config screen. In fact, I've never touched the setting in the windows control-panel tab. This is using both the built-in serial port on a Via CN-1000 mb as well as a Belkin USB-RS232 adapter.

P. Short
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

It was fantastic to finally have the lighting working!

I thought the transformer part would be plain sailing, but I have one more hurdle left apparently.

I tested the cables and ssrs with my tester and pieced it all together and threw a sequence together just using the wave form add in but only 2 or 3 of the outputs seem to work.

Attached the tester again and all 4 channels turn on with the tester but not with the sequence.

Any ideas why that might be anyone?
I do have a diode in my power supply still, do you think perhaps that may be limiting my voltage too much now I am using the ren-c?

Anything else it could be?

Cheers again all.

The voltage-dropping diode should not be needed when using a Ren-C, although I don't think that it should cause any problems if you leave it in.

Daemon
05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
The voltage-dropping diode should not be needed when using a Ren-C, although I don't think that it should cause any problems if you leave it in.

I took the voltage dropping diode out and checked the hardware com settings in windows anyway. The baud rate was set to 9600 so I changed it to 57600 just in case.

When I test the channels manually I get 2 sets come on when I turn on one channel and it seems like channel 3 turns on the same set of lights as channel 1. What does that sound like? There is no shorts between the connectors or anything else for that matter. All the channels on my tester come on in the right sequence when I use the test sequence in vixen?

EDIT. Definitely hardware related issues. I will have to revisit everything. As of yet I havent been able to find why 2 channels are coming on at once. Nothing seems to have continuity except the resistor and triac that is supposed to beside it. I found one faulty solder. I may find more so I will keep plugging away at it and doing pcb continuity checks on the ssrs until I do.

P. Short
05-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Several thoughts come to mind...

1) Make sure that the power to the Grinch board (and subsequently through to the Ren-C) is good. It should be rated for 5V at 1A (or more).

2) Make sure that you have good ground connections from the PC to the Ren-C (through the RS232 or RS485 cable). If you are bringing RS232 directly to the controller (without first converting to RS485) you need to have ground on three pins at the Ren-C end of the cable (pins 1,2 AND 5).

3) Use the latest Beta firmware from the other recent thread on this topic.

Daemon
05-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I got it sorted thanks.

I re soldered some parts which looked fine but obviously weren't on my connectors at a higher temp and now it is 100% functional.EDIT. Not quite 100%. I still seem to have a slight flicker on another channel when I activate 1 channel. I am still hunting for the cause of that.

I am a very happy man.

Thanks for hanging in there and for all your expertise everyone.

daviddth
05-25-2009, 02:31 AM
I've never had problems with setting the baud rate in the Vixen plugin config screen. In fact, I've never touched the setting in the windows control-panel tab. This is using both the built-in serial port on a Via CN-1000 mb as well as a Belkin USB-RS232 adapter.

I had issues with a 4 port card under XP and the only way to get it reliable was to set the baud rate under windows and Vixen. If I just did it in Vixen it often misfired, and failed to operate at all.

It was probably the drivers at fault, but ever since then I do it as a matter of course

Daemon
05-31-2009, 05:30 AM
I had issues with a 4 port card under XP and the only way to get it reliable was to set the baud rate under windows and Vixen. If I just did it in Vixen it often misfired, and failed to operate at all.

It was probably the drivers at fault, but ever since then I do it as a matter of course
When you say misfiring, did you sometimes get some flickering or extra channels activated?

I have some issues at the moment. My grinch works perfectly with my tester when manually activating without vixen but when outputting from vixen without the tester I am getting some strange results.