PDA

View Full Version : Olsen 595 Coop Schematic in Express PCB

synnie
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi again, im looking for the 595 coop schematic for ExpressPCB if anyone has it.I have the old home etch one but is confusing rewiring the parts. Also after one for the REN-C if possible.Trying to combine the 2 on one board with a few changes so its suitable for running LED strings without having SSR's around the place.
cheers Synnie

P. Short
05-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you talking about board layout or schematic? The 595 board pre-dates the expressPCB schematic program, I think, or they both came out around the same time. As far as the Ren-C goes, I think that the only schematic version is the one that wjohn has (unless I have an Orcad version somewhere or other).

synnie
05-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Ummm...the layout i guess , i can get hold of the old layout with the indicator LEDs between the 595 and ULN which wayne has on his site,im after the one with the LEDs after the ULN as is on the COOP board.Im using expressPCB which is about all my brain can handle for redesigning the boards.I have eagle but still trying to work it out....

RPM
05-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Ummm...the layout i guess , i can get hold of the old layout with the indicator LEDs between the 595 and ULN which wayne has on his site,im after the one with the LEDs after the ULN as is on the COOP board.Im using expressPCB which is about all my brain can handle for redesigning the boards.I have eagle but still trying to work it out....

ExpressPCB can only be used to create boards for their PCB manufacturing service.
The problem with the freeware version of Eagle is that your board size is limited to 4"x3.2", which will be too small for a '595 board.

Robert

synnie
05-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Yep, im hoping i can print out the expresspcb and have a go at home etch.I bought some SSR's from US and the Seller(hi Tom if youre here) threw in a double sided board so i thought ill have a go.Not going to be a priority job but ill get it done.
Cheers Synnie

51fordf2
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
PCB Artist is free, and really easy to use, and great for printing to the laser, lot's of options. If you have the layout, it's easy to put it in, as long as you have the components in the library. I have the RJ45, which isn't good in the original library, but David (ukewarrior) showed me that you can cut n paste from one board to another, so I "snitched" his, which WAS very good. If you go PCB Artist, I can send you a board with the jack on it, you can snitch, too!

I'd like to see it if you find it, I've looked all over for it, also, but only found the one with the led's different from what you are looking for. I know it's out there, because our buffer boards, are taken from it, if I recall. I might have the buffer boards, but I think they are in Atrium, or Protel. It would be nice if they all played nicely together!!

And if you find it, I can put it in PCB Artist for you, if you'd like...

Roger

RPM
05-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised that with all the interest in 595's that there are no board layouts to be had.

I may be wrong, but I believe the version of the 595 board you are referring to was done by Macrosill (Brian Bresocnik). You may want to ask him if the layout is available.

Robert

synnie
05-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Yep, Brians is the one im chasing, now ive a few hours to kill i can check into it, and also ask Phil and John very very nicely if they have a copy of the design for REN-C.
Ill look for PCB artist, but ill print to normal paper and then photocopy it at work, easier than buying a laser printer for now..I can open .sch attachments with expressPCB so i just found out...even that would work i guess...looking more now
Thanks to all so far
Graeme

51fordf2
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Graeme - you can only open .sch files made with Express PCB in that program, and sch files made with other programs have to be opened with the program they were made in. Same with .pcb files - they aren't all created equal. So you need to know what program made any files you get. Sounds like you got an Express sch...

Bites, sometimes, when you think you've found what you need, but can't open it. But a lot of people use Express.

Roger

synnie
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Lol Roger, yep found that out, Phil has given me a schematic which im slowly nutting out with help from a REN-C sitting beside me, the pics on the Wiki and all the input you guys and gals are giving me:)

rice66
05-15-2009, 11:38 PM
when I home etched my olsen 595 boards I used the pdf file located on Sean Bowf's how to . Here is the link:

http://computerchristmas.com/index.phtml?link=how_to&HowToId=57

there is a full color layout of parts, jumper places etc.. Also there are links for express pcb files Hope this helps. I havent Ren C my boards yet, but hey, all things are possible.
rice66

synnie
05-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks Rice,thats the one i have , having to redo all the connections between the 595 and ULN is a pain...COOP board has the LEDs after the ULN...Have got half a design for the REN-C.Using picture on the wiki for the top traces and one of my REN-C's for the bottom traces..then make it all fit together...thats the FUN bit

wjohn
05-16-2009, 01:48 AM
The Olsen boards was published and developed back on Computerchristmas.com. I'd go looking there.

As for the RENC Schematic, I had published it to the Wiki when the first board was released. As with all open edited Wikis, the RENC page has been seriously re-edited since then and the sch file is no longer linked.

It is attached to this post. I'll go edit the WIki again,

scorpia
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
please dont take this the wrong way synnie but why would you want to build a 595 based led controller. surely there are more suitable options. and im sure phil would love it if the ren-c just sat in the corner and died :)

im not saying dont doing im just wondering the logic in doing it.

RavingLunatic
05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
The Olsen boards was published and developed back on Computerchristmas.com. I'd go looking there.

As for the RENC Schematic, I had published it to the Wiki when the first board was released. As with all open edited Wikis, the RENC page has been seriously re-edited since then and the sch file is no longer linked.

It is attached to this post. I'll go edit the WIki again,

No need to wjohn, it is still linked to from the wiki in this section:

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard-595_Converter#Circuit_Diagram

kostyun
05-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a pre-coop 595 drawing in express pcb out there somewhere. I could look for it if you get desperate.

P. Short
05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
please dont take this the wrong way synnie but why would you want to build a 595 based led controller. surely there are more suitable options. and im sure phil would love it if the ren-c just sat in the corner and died :)

im not saying dont doing im just wondering the logic in doing it.

I'm a little bit less negative than before about the Ren-C after the firmware changes that were made and if it is integrated with the 595/Allegro chips on one board. That said, there are some changes that I would like to see made on the schematic, those detailed in the firmware file. I've reworked one of my Ren-C controllers here to that schematic, and I'm happy with it.

synnie
05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
The only reason im really looking at doing this is because i know the Olsen 595 will work directly with LED strings without having to use SSR's, Im no technical whizz when it comes to designing the circuitry required to run LEDs.In my mind, having the ZC, REN-C and 595 on one board and being able to run LED strings direct from it is a simple way of doing it.I have a 595/REN-C setup now which does what i want, like to compact it all together.

synnie
05-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Ok,i have reworked the REN-C slightly, removed a few things which would make it harder to home etch, and a couple of things that ive never used with my 3 REN-C boards and moved things around.The Indicator LEDs will be located on another board with the Olsen channel indicator leds, thats why there is a molex connector near the Resistor pack at top.The lines for the RJ45 to the Olsen are just on there atm before i put the whole lot on one board.there maybe a cap or resistor missing somewhere but ill let someone pick it for me.
Phil, which changes do you mean on the schematic...im definately missing something in firmware department, or i cant open something needed.Its a start for me anyway
Cheers Synnie

n1ist
05-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Just a few issues with the board.

The trace feeding R4 crosses the one between R3 and R5. R7 only has one end connected. The trace connecting pin 3 on the RJ45s on the secondary side is hitting the pads for the other pins. There is no via connecting the trace from R2 (secondary) to C3 (primary). The ground side of C1 and C2 should go directly to a ground pin on the micro. Likewise, if C5 is the decoupling cap for the lower IC, it needs to connect directly to the pins.

/mike

synnie
05-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Mike, basically im copying the schematic and PDF for the REN-C, and did forget a couple of traces.Most of the caps on the PDF arent close to the IC's.Not working today(HOORAY) so looking at it after.Then it will go into the folder until next Sunday (6 days straight 12hr days...very big coal lift happening)
Cheers Synnie

Finally got it finished...i think or hope.Now maybe ZC built in also...............

dirknerkle
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Finally got it finished...i think or hope.Now maybe ZC built in also...............

Have you etched a board and tried your layout yet?

-dirknerkle

synnie
06-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Not yet, doing a double sided board is a bit much at the moment,having never etched anything.i have worked out the ZC and onboard power supply which i need to finish then im either going to take the plunge and try to etch it or redo the design in gerber format so i can get a company to make it for me.wait and see....