PDA

View Full Version : Running Vixen on a Mac (Parallels)

tealman353
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I am still here... out in cyberspace... Wondering what to do next...

I am running Parallels 4.0 on my Macbook I got December of 2008.

I have loaded Windows XP into the virtual machine.

Every program I try that is meant for windows works fine on Parallels.
Except for Vixen.

I have the most recent beta of Vixen and I cannot open the program for the life of me.

I have downloaded Windows Installer and then installed the 2.0 .net framework, then downloaded Vixen 2.0, dumped the update and got the new update.zip file.

Vixen closes as soon as it tries to open.

I right clicked and chose "run as" and the first attached window pops up.

If I simply choose "current user," the second attached window pops up.

If I log in using "the following user," the third attached window pops up. , it always pops up with the same error window (third attachment).

What can I do?
Thanks for listening...

Tim Ambrose: Teenage Inventor/Scientist

dirknerkle
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
You can buy a 2.8ghz P4-based Dell GX280 for $160 at Micro Center, preloaded with Windows XP and ready to run. Why would you go through the anguish and waste all the time to try to get things running on a Mac even in emulation mode? :confused:

It's admirable that you're giving this your best effort, but I'd suggest avoiding the trouble. Bite the bullet, buy a good, pre-owned PC and go from there. I think it'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

-d

Mudsculpter
05-01-2009, 05:34 PM
found a cheap PC on craigslist in your area.

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/sys/1141051512.html

Or you may want to poke around there for other options. You may find one for free in there.

rocksolid
05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
If you are buying used, pop the case to inspect the motherboard first. You will find that some older motherboards have capacitors that are leaking and/or bulging. If it does have bad caps it will most likely fail in the future (pc continuously rebooting, weird errors, or no power at all). For the most part you can repair it by just replacing the caps. Point out the damage to the seller and you might get it next to nothing.