PDA

View Full Version : New at this with new Olsen

lowrdsdime
04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello all, I just recently purchased a used olsen I am pretty sure i understand most aspects except where and how to power it up. The person I bought it from sent a power supply that plugs into the wall to test it with but it just has two wires on it so i dont know where to put them? where is the power input. I apoligise for my dumb questions but I really dont understand everything especially specific parts involved but i do know how everything works together. any input would be great or some good links. I already read the wiki.

synnie
04-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Hi lowrdsdime, first off do you have a COOP 595 or a home made 595? The COOP 595 will have the LEDs in a line behind the RJ45 jacks on either side and 595 ver ? on the end. mine has ver 2.4.1. There mightve been earlier versions whicha re a bit different. Looking down on my board with the 2 input/output RJ45 jacks on the right hand side,there is a P1 connector just below the output RJ45. The bottom pin is +ve power and the one next to it is negative.There is another similar plug at the top right corner which is used if you intend to push a different voltage to the SSR's.Since the norm is for everything to be 5VDC then that isnt a problem. You will notice shunts at the end of the ULN's (larger chips) which can pull the voltage from the bottom connector or the top connecter if you have a COOP board.

lowrdsdime
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
ahh ok so if i were to test it I use the P1 slot, thank you, there is also a P2 slot on the other side, that one is for other voltage then? thanks so much for the answer.

lowrdsdime
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Do I need to have the computer hooked up to the board to test if it is working? i used a 5v power supply and put the positive and negative on but no lights lit up? am I an idiot lol?

Ronp
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
you should have a power led lit but thats all

lowrdsdime
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok so i got the power to work but when i applied power a row of the green LED's came on as well for channels 1-12 but then i took the power off and a bunch of other green LED's came on with the red and then again I took the power off and put it back on only to have different green LED's come on with the red. is this bad???

Wayne J
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Normal for a 595 board. Usually, you have to have Vixen send an "All Off" command to turn those random startup channels off.

synnie
04-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I get the same problem if im in a hurry and dont let the PC crank up.Usually ill have Vixen running before i turn the 595/REN-C on and it stops the problem.

lowrdsdime
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
thanks