PDA

View Full Version : dimmer switch on a ceiling fan motor

DanoNJ
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Do you think I can use a standard dimmer switch on a ceiling fan motor or do I need a fan dimmer. I am planning on using an old fan to power a small carousal / merry go round and am looking to slow the rmps.

eswets
03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
You should gear it down to the rpm's that you need. A dimmer many slow the fan down, but you need to use a fan control so you don't have a issue with the dimmer burning up. The fan motor may not have the torqe needed to spin. It is very easy to stop the fan. So depending on your weight, gearing down to a slower speed and then using a fan control to dail in the speed. Also Im not a motor expert, but I think if you use a fan control to slow the motor you lose torqe.

kostyun
04-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I would definatly look at gearing it down.

I was "planning" on making a train last year - and ended up buying two 24vdc motors (run at 1/2 speed at 12vdc) that are used in electric wheelchairs. You may want to look at this route - as the motors already come with quite the gearbox, and have a TON of torque

JFTiger
04-01-2009, 04:29 AM
If you are dead set on the ceiling fan route, use a ceiling fan controller. Modern ceiling fans use a capicitor and a regular dimmer will only make the fan hum. I do not remember the spicifics beyond a regular dimmer does not work well with the capicitor. I know Home Depot sells them, usually more expensive than a cheap dimmer switch. I believe around $30 for one.

DanoNJ
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I would definatly look at gearing it down.

I was "planning" on making a train last year - and ended up buying two 24vdc motors (run at 1/2 speed at 12vdc) that are used in electric wheelchairs. You may want to look at this route - as the motors already come with quite the gearbox, and have a TON of torque

Actually have two of those laying around! I just thought the fan would be simple, and I know the dimmer is $$$ that's why I asked if the reg dimmer would work (have a few of those around). Didn't think about the torque issue... Back to the drawing board!

Do anyone one here use a ceiling fan motor for anything in their display??

Thanks, guys. Once again, always helpful here, without the condescending remarks I sometimes get other places.

pete
04-02-2009, 02:14 AM
I have seen other projects like this that used parts from an old sewing machine. they usually have some kind of speed control.

pete

DanoNJ
04-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Now there's a good torque motor! Good idea. Added to the flee market list!

51fordf2
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
How about those "Power Wheels", or whatever they are called, for kids? I know that it's usually really expensive to replace the batteries, so I see them fairly often for cheap on Craig's, or even free on freecycle...they would have to be relatively torque-y, and maybe cheap?

R

DanoNJ
04-03-2009, 10:14 PM
I just read about those somewhere with a picture. Don't get old, you can't remember crap!

Wayne J
04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
How about those "Power Wheels",

That would be a good choice.
Those motors do have a lot of torque. It is usually the plastic gears that go bad in the toys, so you should be able to find one and a very good chance to get the motor out of one. I am pretty sure one toy has two motors in it also. ;)

wvengineer
04-04-2009, 11:44 PM
your best bet to use a form of gear reduction, by lowering the rpm with gears you increase the torque (mechanical advantage)

the problem with ceiling fans motors is they do not have a lot of torque to begin with

maybe something with a 12-16 sprocket on the motor and a 80 tooth sprocket on the carousel..

checkout
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets.html

chain for the sprockets
http://www.thesuperkids.com/curscootchai.html

i have a Schwinn electric scooter that uses a currie 600w motor and pulls me around at 17mph on 24v battery

maybe an idea toss around.... you are looking to try to find something that will give you a rpm anywheres 10 rpms but that also depends on how big you want to build this thing

TERBObob
04-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Right there ... what wvengineer said .
I used those motors AND controlls from those electric kids scooters ( ya know .. like the RAZOR scooters , just with electric motors in them )
These things will get a 200 lb man whizzing around at about 20 mph , AND the nice part ... the electronics , are PERFECT , since its a true speed controller . It cuts the volts , not the amps , and allows you to have a FULL torque at SLOW rpm's . These are totally speed controllable and would more than likely be perfect for what your wanting to do .