PDA

View Full Version : 45000 lights up in 2 days

Sloanhaus
02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
After reading posts about not having enough time, or there was too much snow, or too hot, I wanted to come up with ways to hang the masses of lights in a short amount of time. Please share your ideas as I won't have alot of time this year with a newborn on the way. Here is a video to show what I have planned out already.

Brad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLzkfg3DfKk

kychristmas
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Great work Brad. Thanks for taking the time document.

I like the Windows, but I'm not sure my family would appreciate their Windows being blocked-out for 2 months. It is definitely a window technique that I haven't seen before.

Sloanhaus
02-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Ya, If you watch my video, the 3 windows are a spare bedroom, and the big window is the baby's room. The baby loves the colors that show up on the ceiling... We also put up a black curtain if we dont want the lights to be seen in the baby's room.

RichF
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Great idea Brad. I think I may use this method for some of my applications.

Santa Don
02-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the video Brad. I'm too old and knees are too bad to be doing a lot of climbing, so modularizing (Is that a word?) my elements make a lot of sense to me. I went to Lowes today and bought tomato cages and some pvc pipe for my mega tree and starburst pole I'm planning. Everything I have planned will be easy up and easy down. I'm thinking about using a method involving hardware cloth for the straight line elements (eaves and windows).

Funny story: The girl who checked me out at Lowes asked me how to use tomato cages. I got a strange look when I told her they were supports for Christmas lights.

Santa Don

cbell
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Great video Brad. It's always nice to see ideas as opposed to trying to visualize them. I'm interested in your icicle light idea as I was planning on doing something similar myself this year. Keep in mind, I'm not asking for a video or anything because I wouldn't want to embarrass your wife any more than necessary :D, but can you describe your icicle light arrangement a bit. Namely I was curious if you used single sections of 10' pvc, or if you linked them all together and raised them all at once.

My idea was to use single sections of pvc that had some sort of hook at the end that I could just lift up and hook onto the gutter. I always like to hear how others are doing things because it sparks ideas that weren't there before. Thanks again for the video!

g2ktcf
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Funny story: The girl who checked me out at Lowes asked me how to use tomato cages. I got a strange look when I told her they were supports for Christmas lights.

Santa Don

Get used to the funny looks from salespeople. The looks I have gotten while checking out with 100+ boxes of lights or the 100+ load of extension cords are wierd to say the least!

Chris

Sloanhaus
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Great video Brad. It's always nice to see ideas as opposed to trying to visualize them. I'm interested in your icicle light idea as I was planning on doing something similar myself this year. Keep in mind, I'm not asking for a video or anything because I wouldn't want to embarrass your wife any more than necessary :D, but can you describe your icicle light arrangement a bit. Namely I was curious if you used single sections of 10' pvc, or if you linked them all together and raised them all at once.

My idea was to use single sections of pvc that had some sort of hook at the end that I could just lift up and hook onto the gutter. I always like to hear how others are doing things because it sparks ideas that weren't there before. Thanks again for the video!

If you look at my roof line at sloanlights.com, I use 7 sections (3 on the top, 2 on the right, and 2 on the lower left) The two on the right and 2 on the lower left are 10 foot each, the top is a 10 foot beam on the left and than 2 smaller angled beams on the right. I use 2 inch pvc as it doesnt flex as much, and I painted the pvc black. I did have one section where I used some left over 1 inch pvc and than I put in some rebar to keep it from bending... Either way worked fine. Just make sure that for each 10 foot section, you attach 3 strings (1 on each end and than 1 in the middle) I pull the beams up on the ends and than I will use the middle string to keep it from sagging. Its nice because last year I had a strand go out and I was able to just lower one beam and add another strand of Icicle lights. For storage I put 3 eye bolts in my garage ceiling and hosted them all up the same way... They are still strait. Make sure that you dont zip tie all of the strands together and do each strand individually so that if one goes out, you dont have to take off all the strands. I used color coordinated zip ties so it is easier to identify which strand is which. Let me know if you need more information.

Brad