PDA

View Full Version : Another Strobe Question

mkess
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
I purchased 20 strobes from christmaslightshow.com a couple weeks back. I plan on using 10 or so in my mega tree, no problem there. Now for my extras I am trying to figure how I can just place one here one there etc. around the rest of the house. I have 10 spare channels I am thinking of using for these but only 2 short strings I can put them on. I was thinking that I could just cut the sockets off the strings I have and put some plugs on them and that would work. What do you guys think?

51fordf2
02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I do believe they will work just fine. I intend to put singles out and about, especially I'm the center of the mega star. Maybe on the points as well...

R

Wayne J
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
I highly suggest you guys test this. I tried singles and it was a no go. They just don't draw enough current for the triac to operate properly. I was using the 511-BTA08-400B triacs. It took 4 strobes on a channel for dependability. I also noticed this varied from triac to triac.

51fordf2
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Hadn't thought about the current draw...thanks!

R

oldcqr
02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
You guys are correct -- Since they draw so little power, the triac may not turn on. However, the easy solution is to place a single C7/C9 bulb on the same channel. That usually gives enough oomph to get the triac to turn on. (FYI: My AL controllers work fine with 6 strobes. YMMV).

And, you do know that each strobe doesn't need it's own channel, right? If you are going to put 6 in your bushes, all 6 can be on 1 channel and will still fire randomly.

You can also check out my article on creating your own Custom extension cords & C7/C9 Stringers (http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/77/39/).

mkess
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
You guys are correct -- Since they draw so little power, the triac may not turn on. However, the easy solution is to place a single C7/C9 bulb on the same channel. That usually gives enough oomph to get the triac to turn on. (FYI: My AL controllers work fine with 6 strobes. YMMV).

And, you do know that each strobe doesn't need it's own channel, right? If you are going to put 6 in your bushes, all 6 can be on 1 channel and will still fire randomly.

You can also check out my article on creating your own Custom extension cords & C7/C9 Stringers (http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/77/39/).

That was I thought I had after reading the post above. I understand the not needing a channel each but for me it would be easyest to just use as nohter channel for each one. Don't get me wrong if I can put a few close enough to each other then I will go that route but for the most part it will take extension cords I really dont have for that.

Greg in Canby
02-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Don't get me wrong if I can put a few close enough to each other then I will go that route but for the most part it will take extension cords I really dont have for that.
Watch Craigslist of freecycle for old C9 strings. I got two for free, recycled the bulbs, painted the strings the color of my house and hung 10 strobes out front - one channel - shazamm!

dfranks
02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

Very nice article on wiring. Great source for prices on plugs and sockets. I see where someone on Ebay is selling the exact same items for more than twice the price.