PDA

View Full Version : OOPs Wrong wiring and turned on

synnie
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Had a slight brain freeze yesterday.Decided to redo my Simple ZC, place it all in a enclosure and have 2 setups to run of both COM ports.Easy, made it all up and hooked it to the REN-C and Grinch and Olsen to test.Had heartbeat even though it was slower than before, power LED and Data led light up, but nothing worked on the Grinch or the Olsen except for a very erratic flashing on the star.Was like it was getting a signal to switch on but then thought about it again and stoped.Went through the recheck again and then compared to my old ZC wiring. OOPS....i had the wires back to front ie pin 1 was pin 8 on the RJ45.Now i have a 3rd REN-C which i tested in case i blew something, i have the LEDs on the OLSEN come on in all channels on mode but they flicker, the star works but it doesnt dim, just on or off. Now would something blow on the REN-C or the Olsen/Grinch , the 3rd REN-C runs the same as the 2 i had hooked up with the reversed wires?
Cheers Synnie

pete
02-21-2009, 09:29 PM
have you tried testing just the olsens/ grinch w/o the ren-c?

Pete

synnie
02-21-2009, 10:06 PM
i dont have a lead handy to modify to try them on the parallelport, then again im not sure if that puter has a port.Ill swap the 595 chips and ULNs after and just see if that makes a difference

synnie
02-22-2009, 02:26 AM
tested it with a parallel lead and nothing worked, so went ahead and swapped out the 595 chips.plugged all back together again and still nothing...plugged lead into the out socket not the in socket...DOHHHHHh...worked fine.Hooked the REN-C up and indicator lights flicker on the 595 board , bit strange as they fade back and forth across one side when all channels are on. Im thinking i might need to check out the ZC to start with as all the REN-C's have the same problem, heartbeat slight is very slow, couple of seconds per flash.Just tested the voltage to the REN-C, one circuit is 3V and 2nd is 6V, one circuits using 1N4148 Diodes, same as my old circuit was using so a bit puzzling for me.

jpb
02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
What cable did you have reversed? If you have reversed pins 1 and 8 (and all in between) your talking about a cable from the REN-C to the Grinch, or have I misunderstood you?

Jon

synnie
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
cable from puter and ZC supply to the REN-C

jpb
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Having a look at the circuit you used ( from your posts back in December ) you may have damaged your ZC source. Pin 1 should be gnd and pin 8 the ZC so if you have reversed 1 and 8 it is possible that you have fed your ZC signal straight to the gnd on the REN-C and pulled a bit too much current.

Check the output of your transformer and maybe replace your diodes.

But then again, I could have no idea.

Jon

synnie
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
REN-C survived fine,replaced one transformer and the diodes on one ZC circuit and all the 595 chips and the Olsen works. Have to remember to double check before crimping next time...lol

bmcgeeny
02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
REN-C survived fine,replaced one transformer and the diodes on one ZC circuit and all the 595 chips and the Olsen works. Have to remember to double check before crimping next time...lol

So this means you have the little devil working?

synnie
02-26-2009, 03:54 AM
I have all the little devils working again, the grinch and olsen suffered from my stuff up...live and learn

bmcgeeny
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
I have all the little devils working again, the grinch and olsen suffered from my stuff up...live and learn

I am so glad I have never done anything like that. I mean like wireing the neutral to the wrong spot on the Ren 24 and blowing the transformer, (oh wait I did) or putting the opto's in a SSR backwards (oh wait I did) or wireing the PCI DIO 96 card without buffer chips backwards and blowing half the channels on the card (oh wait I did) or putting the LED indicators in the board backwards and pulling the trace off getiing them out (oh wait I did).

I always say it is not a mistake if you eventually get it working and learn from it. It is just a different way to do it.!

jmksparks
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
I am so glad I have never done anything like that. I mean like wireing the neutral to the wrong spot on the Ren 24 and blowing the transformer, (oh wait I did) or putting the opto's in a SSR backwards (oh wait I did) or wireing the PCI DIO 96 card without buffer chips backwards and blowing half the channels on the card (oh wait I did) or putting the LED indicators in the board backwards and pulling the trace off getiing them out (oh wait I did).

I always say it is not a mistake if you eventually get it working and learn from it. It is just a different way to do it.!

L.O.L. Now thats funny. I think we have all been thier if we care to admit ! I,ll admit!! JK.