PDA

View Full Version : My Ren-C doesn't work $#@#$^

jpb
02-14-2009, 01:23 AM
I have just completed my first (and only) Ren-C and it doesn't work. Could I check a few things please with you all please. I am using the standard co-op board.

Serial Connection
I have connected pin 3 on the DB9 to pin 4 on the "RS In" RJ45
I have connected pin 5 on the DB9 to pins 1,2 and 5 on the "RS In"
I have buzzed these from the DB9 onto the circuit board and are all fine.

I am using the Renard Dimmer (modified) plugin with a port speed of 57600 8N1
The Ren-C is being powered from the Grinch.

I am generating my ZC using the H11AA1 chip and feeding it in on the "Gnd" and "ZC" connectors on JP3.
I don't have Q1, R9 or R1 installed.

I do not have a lead from the Grinch back to the Ren-C (From 595 Out) because I have run out of RJ sockets. I have more somewhere but I can't find them. I will have to buy more next week.

My grinch works fine in normal mode

The power led on the Ren-C is on and the ZC led is flashing. The other leds come on at power up but go out after a second or so.

At no time during testing does the Rx led on the Ren-C come on.
Will the lack of the lead from the grinch back to the Ren have an impact?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Jon

toodle_pipsky
02-14-2009, 01:44 AM
IAt no time during testing does the Rx led on the Ren-C come on.
Will the lack of the lead from the grinch back to the Ren have an impact?

Oooh I feel you pain!

No, the cable back from the Grinch to the RenC won't matter, unless you're testing with LEDs, then it won't work. For the purposes of testing until you get what ever your waiting for, just chuck a set of incan lights on an SSR. Might be a bit combersome, but it'll get you working.

The Rx light should blink every time Vixen sends data. If this ain't blinking you've narrowed it down to a communication problem between RenC and computer. Check your com port settings on the computer (for example when I did it I had to change setting in 2 places, in Vixen and in Device manager). If you're satisfied all the settings on your computer are ok, check the cabling and plug for the nine hundredth time :)

Good luck!

synnie
02-14-2009, 04:02 AM
I had the same problem with my REN-C, all i did was check the solder joints and there was a couple that werent quite right, after that all was ok.

jpb
02-14-2009, 11:54 PM
The Rx light should blink every time Vixen sends data. If this ain't blinking you've narrowed it down to a communication problem between RenC and computer.

Thanks Toodles, I thought it should blink.
I replaced the RS232 rec/trans and it all works fine now.
I can dim my incandesent lights ok and hopefully I will be able call past Altronics next week and pick up a couple of RJ45 sockets so then I should be able to test the LEDs.

Thanks both of you for your advice
Jon

toodle_pipsky
02-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Aww shucks. It's easy to throw out tips and advice, you did the hard yards getting it to work. Good on you!