PDA

View Full Version : Bushfires - up to 40 dead

wjohn
02-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Yesterday,

Melbourne had its hotest day on record since records commenced in 1850. The temp in the city was 46.3 C (about 116F), and peaked at 48C at our house. While that was hot, and followed a week of 43-45 maximums, it was nothing to what else happened around the state.

Saturday, 7 Feb2009,, is now called Black Saturday. Bush Fires have been burning all day, flamed are being pushed by 100kmh winds, and the trees are so dry after years of drought that the flames jump from the crown of one tree to the next.

Last evening, we could see the flames from our house, to the East - the Bunyip ranges were burning across a 20km(12 mile) frontage. To the north, Kinglake township, the flames were visible on the third ridge to our north.

Today, the temp has dropped to 23C, and the winds have dropped.

However, up to 40 are dead. 6 in one Kinglake family tried to drive out after flame reached their house. They could not drive faster then the flames. They all died in their car.

As we go about our day, thinking that it is either too Hot or too Cold; think about those who can no longer talk about the weather as they were taken by nature in the lst 24 hours.

A number of the fires were lit by Arsonists....

toodle_pipsky
02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I just finished reading about the bushfires near Melbourne and Adelaide. Truly horrific stuff. Bushfires here are kinda part of the landscape, terrifying and ravenous. But then you read about police investigating the cause of these fires and you feel anger - this isn't mother nature in her element, this is human nature at it's worst.

If anything, I pray for justice - for those who escaped but lost everything, and for those who lost the greatest possession, life. My heart goes out to all those effected by this tragedy.

scorpia
02-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I just came to put up a post about this. Good to see someone has allready beat me.

Looks like yesterday is going to go down as one of if not the worst bushfire day in victoria's history. they are talking about whole towns being wiped off the map. 700+ houses lost and i think the death figures are up over 70 now.

So everyone at least put a prayer out and for any locals dont forget that there is a fire fund line for donations to help the people effected.

Also i wanted to say dont forget the fire-fighters, the local CFA (country fire authority) is a volunteer organisation and is one of the best fire brigades around.

So please pray if thats something you do and if prayer is not for you please at least remember the effected people down here.

Peter

synnie
02-08-2009, 04:34 AM
And i hope the insurance companies come through to help instead of doing the normal sorry,cant help you.
But with the help of the major banks and their donation appeals it is actually good to see them doing something worthwile for their customers.....

The National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia and ANZ have stumped up $1 million each in funds or donations, while Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, through its Community Enterprise Foundation, launched a Bushfire Appeal with an immediate $100,000 donation.

NAB was the first of the majors to establish a relief fund of $1 million for bushfire victims.

It was followed by CBA, which also pledged $1 million and activated an emergency assistance package for customers who are victims.

As is usual in times of need Aussies will pull through and pitch in one way or the other!!!!!!!

b_legg
02-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Just read the latest on the fires and I can't even begin to imagine the horror of it. Everyone affected or threatened by these fires are in my prayers. Please be safe, fire is the worst way I can imagine to die. I have always lived in an area prone to hurricanes so I know how ruthless mother nature can be. The biggest differences in this situation and yours is that death in a hurricane is usually swift and not as agonizing as being burned, and a hurricane is not caused by someone with no regard for life or property who maliciously sets out to destroy both. Again, to all in the path of these horrendous fires, please be safe.

brian caruana
02-08-2009, 05:43 PM
108 lifes are loss and could go up to 170. today 750 homes are loss and 31 fires are still going on.and 31 people are in hoisptal with 3 degree burns brian caruana

Matt_Edwards
02-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Woke up to today's head lines:
108 dead
750 houses destroyed
330 000 Hectares burnt

Simply the worst fire in our nation's recorded history. most survivors are talking about how fast the fire front came and the sheer force and intensity. They were the fortunate ones.

My aunty tell of seeing the fire front coming down a mountain range toward their house, living in sheer hell and dread of what might happen. Likely for us she was OK.

These fires may have been started by idiots, calling for justice is one thing, but the victims will need a lot of care and assistance.

Our prayers go out for all those affected by the fires.
Matt

rstehle
02-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Your story was on the front page of our local newspaper this morning. Looks very scary. Our best hopes for all, but especially our freinds here on the forum.

Mudsculpter
02-08-2009, 06:53 PM
My Prayers all with all those affected by the blaze. I hope that you get some beneficial rain soon. I also pray for all the souls of those that were taken and for the injured. I cannot begin to understand the anguish that you all must be suffering.

kostyun
02-09-2009, 02:04 AM
My prayers also - saw some of the video on tonights local news, and it looks horrible.

brian caruana
02-09-2009, 04:21 AM
a up date 131 death today marysville declared a crime scene areas still at risk yarrum next to loy yang state power supply , stanley. bruarong,dederang, gundowing.kancoona.coral bank.glenn creek, running creek.kergunyah,eskdale,yackandandah.liile snowy creek and final beechworth. we should set up a fund to help there people brian

toodle_pipsky
02-09-2009, 06:51 AM
we should set up a fund to help there people brian

That's very noble Brian, but there are plenty of ways already to donate money to help these people http://www.optuszoo.com.au/article/news/news_latest/news_latest_ndm/973 Salvos, Red Cross, any of the major banks, Bunnings, etc.

Does anyone know if any of the Melbourne members have been effected? Let us know you're ok!

scorpia
02-09-2009, 08:16 AM
i think the accounts girl was going home tonight to face what could be a firey night. She lives on the edge of the bunyip state forest which i think is one of the current fires.

i was up the yarra valley today for work today and there was smoke everywhere. can still see the huge plumes rising from the hills in dozens of spots. With new fires starting today its still not getting much better, allthough i think the weather will be better so they wont get the 100KM/h firewall's that caused all the problems.

wjohn
02-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I think I am the closest to the fires of Kinglake and Yarra Glen.

Sat night, the fires were clearly visible from our house, the last couple of days we could see the various fires based on the columns of smoke rising.

We lost our house in 1990, so I can really feel for the familes of the Black Saturday fires.

dnesci
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Mine and my familiies prayers are with all of you Down Under. We watch the TV and the sites are horrible. Stay safe all of you.

Don

rice66
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM
I also add our prayers to all down under friends, for those who lost the ultimate our sympathy , to those who lost property, we pray that it is soon replaced.
Rice66

rocksolid
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Father God, please send some rain to this region in Austrailia. Please be with the victim's families and comfort them during this terrible time. I ask that you protect the people still in danger and provide a safe route for them to escape the fires. I ask this Jesus' name. Amen.

jgrei1
02-11-2009, 07:06 AM
heres a couple of pictures... i wish everyone the best that is affected and hope they are all safe and well.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/untitled-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/r.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/A-fire-truck-in-front-a-b-001.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/20090208--103306-wor_03.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/0647792900.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/craigels89/uu.jpg[/quote]

zaker
02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
My prayers go out to those that have lost their lives, and to everyone living though these fires.

DeanCollins
02-12-2009, 04:29 AM
I hope that everyone here from VIC is safe and my condolences go out to everyone who has lost family, friends, pets and their property.
No words could express how the people affected must be feeling, I know that I feel great sorrow everyday watching the details unfold.
I hope that anyone that is in a position to donate can as every little bit counts and this disaster will go down in history as one of the worst non-wartime loss of life ever.

-Dean

coolspot
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
some people i know were killed and the fires got to 5km away from me and some of my family lost there houses and they have a couple thousand cattle

scorpia
03-13-2009, 03:55 AM
Sorry to hear that Cool,

I hope all is as well as can be now and that everything gets back to normal as soon as possible.

Regards

peter