PDA

View Full Version : Just a warning

bmcgeeny
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I got all ten of my Ren 24 built and working.

Now it's time to figure out dimming the Grinch,

After I read all the threads for it, I'll be asking questions why it doesn't work.

rshea
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM

After I read all the threads for it, I'll be asking questions why it doesn't work.

I just got my grinch to dim yesterday without a hitch, using Ren C/T combo. Although it seems that the incan are flickering when ramping on and off. I'll be checking that out today

jmksparks
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Use the new Ren-c firmware, everything will be good.

rshea
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Use the new Ren-c firmware, everything will be good.

the one on the wiki (595 192 20071211)

phenagan
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Also make sure the REN-C to Grinch cable is as short as you can make it!

jmksparks
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
the one on the wiki (595 192 20071211)

Yes that is correct and as mentioned between grinch / Ren-c REAL SHORT. Mine are just long enough to show half inch of cable!

rshea
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah thats the one i used, I figured out the problem, I had the refresh rate set 100ms, bumped it down to 50ms and works fluidly 25ms even more so.

good luck bmc!

rshea
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
thanks sparks

bmcgeeny
02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I just got my grinch to dim yesterday without a hitch, using Ren C/T combo. Although it seems that the incan are flickering when ramping on and off. I'll be checking that out today

Are you using a real Ren T or the simple transformer? There are no Ren T's to be had anywhere, so I ordered the same transformer listed for it and some diodes. it seems to simple but I'm just putting it on a Perf board

I read the short connection cables, but I don't understand why. I have mine about 4" Should I try and make shorter ones?

rshea
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Are you using a real Ren T or the simple transformer? There are no Ren T's to be had anywhere, so I ordered the same transformer listed for it and some diodes. it seems to simple but I'm just putting it on a Perf board

I read the short connection cables, but I don't understand why. I have mine about 4" Should I try and make shorter ones?

I was lucky enough to get a real ren t one of the other members was selling a blank board and I scooped it up,

think the short cables has to do with high speed comm signals but not sure.
also unless you are using pwm you only need 1 (the ren c JP1 out --> "in" to the grinch)
never the less I think 4" should work fine i believe the wiki says 6" or less

bmcgeeny
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Even I amaze myself. I built it. I tested it. It did not work. I checked and rechecked the solder joints, wire diagrams and photos. I re-flashed the PIC.

I put it all back together VERY carefully to make sure I had it all right.

I now have one Simple Ren T, one Ren C diming one Grinch.

One more time I have to say it. 99.9% of malfunction issues are assembler error.

Now on to getting RS232 to RS485 conversion.

(I don't really understand it, but I didn't understand ZC until a little while ago either)

synnie
02-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Is there any reason why you're using the RS232 to RS485 conversion Brian or is it for the REN 24?
Got all of my REN-C's working now, dodgy solder joint on the RJ45 jack.simple