PDA

View Full Version : Vixen docs

Santa Don
02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I have searched in vain for a printed version of VERY BASIC step-by-step instructions for the Vixen software.

The reason I ask is that I managed to get one song sequenced and last night I lost it. The file name for it is still there, and the music is there, but the grid and channel list is gone along with all of my hard work.

I think it happened when I deleted an older file I used to play with and learn on. I never dreamed that I would lose my other data.

I have watched the xmas videos numerous times (for which I am eternally grateful), but find it difficult to keep switching back and forth between applications. Has anyone written step-by-step instructions for using this great software?

Yes, I know just enough about computers to make me a very dangerous man, and almost as limited in the practical electronics department. Maybe I am in over my head, but I love this stuff and really want to be a success at it.

Other than the basic instructions, some things I need to know are:

1. Can I use the same preview for another piece of music without rebuilding it? If so, how?

2. How can I access the Vix. files I have downloaded?

3. Where did my hours of hard work go? Oh well, I guess I'll have to chalk that up to a lesson learned and do it over again.

I truly appreciate any help this rank newbie can get.

Thanks,
Santa Don

rstehle
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I have searched in vain for a printed version of VERY BASIC step-by-step instructions for the Vixen software.

Other than the basic instructions, some things I need to know are:

1. Can I use the same preview for another piece of music without rebuilding it? If so, how?

2. How can I access the Vix. files I have downloaded?

3. Where did my hours of hard work go? Oh well, I guess I'll have to chalk that up to a lesson learned and do it over again.

I truly appreciate any help this rank newbie can get.

Thanks,
Santa Don

Not aware of any written instructions on the use of Vixen. Most of us learned by doing (after watching Xmus videos!).

Answers I can help with -

1. If you use a profile, you can use the same preview picture and light layout over and over again. I prefer using a profile, but many members do not use them.

2. When you download a .vix file, (sometimes they have to be "unzipped"), copy it to your Sequence folder in Vixen. Many times the profile will be flattened in to the sequence and you won't need it, but some members post the profile separately. If that is the case, copy the .pro file to your Profile folder in Vixen. You should then be able to view the sequence with the profile atttached (Open an Event Sequence). You will need to add audio if you want to "hear the lights".

3. Not sure what happened, but the file may be in your "Recycle Bin".....

Best of luck!

Wayne J
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Check your sequence folder, see if a backup was made by Vixen. Should be a ".vix.bak" file.

ppohlman
02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
The reason I ask is that I managed to get one song sequenced and last night I lost it. The file name for it is still there, and the music is there, but the grid and channel list is gone along with all of my hard work.

A similar thing happened to me this season, and I was able to fix the problem.

It happened when I renamed my profile file name. The sequence was attached to the profile and when it couldn't find the correct profile, it decided not to display any of the channel information (grid stuff). What I did was make a copy of the profile and rename it back to the original name. When you re-open up the sequence again, it will bring back all of the channel information. After the sequence has opened successfully, attach the new profile to the sequence.

Hopefully this will help you out.