PDA

View Full Version : DIYC File Library

Macrosill
02-01-2009, 12:14 AM
The DIYC File Library is now active. We now have a centralized place to upload, store and share files related to this hobby!

There is a link to the File Library from the home page and the forum index page. There are links back and forth from the library page as well.

As usual if anyone has any issues let me know.

I have added a couple of categories to start. Let me know what you feel we should add to the short list.

Wayne J
02-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Looks great!

How about PCB files and Drawings (like for wire frames and such) to the list.

cmitcham
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
it is great!

once i get there, it's difficult to nav back to the forum or home page...

toodle_pipsky
02-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Oooops, can't upload vix or pro files.

However, brilliant idea! Nice work Brian, will make life a bit easier.

P. Short
02-01-2009, 02:08 AM
How is it supposed to work? Is there a way to add descriptions or tags to the files?

WWNF911
02-01-2009, 04:17 AM

Just zip it. 1st one's are loaded. FYI - there is a 1 MB restriction.

kenl92
02-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Macrosill
02-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Ahh yes, File extensions need to be added to the list. It was 2330 when I started this. I will add them.

Just zip it. 1st one's are loaded. FYI - there is a 1 MB restriction.
Ahh yes, file size limits. I will increase them. 2mb sound good?

Looks great!

How about PCB files and Drawings (like for wire frames and such) to the list.
Good Idea. I was tired and had a mental block.

it is great!

once i get there, it's difficult to nav back to the forum or home page...
There is a link in the blue navbar up top for the Home page. There is a link in the bottom navbar for the Home page and Forum Index. Can you be more specific as to what link you would like and where?

How is it supposed to work? Is there a way to add descriptions or tags to the files?
I do not know yet. I believe you can add tags and descriptions.

I think it may get a little confusing once we get a lot of sequences and profiles in different areas, I think they should be posted together.
I agree.

Macrosill
02-01-2009, 10:01 AM
File extensions and 1mb limits have been added to mirror the current settings in the forums. If anyone needs more than that let me know.

toodle_pipsky
02-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Hehehehe the best things/thoughts (and worst maybe ;) ) always happen in the wee hours!

It looks like it's pretty much the same as making a post in the forum, except it needs you to attach a file - won't let you post until you do.

Another tool in the belt, thanks again Brian.

zaker
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Great Job Brian!

In the sections, might it be useful to put subcategories for different holidays? e.g. Christmas/Halloween/Other?

Only in the Vixen & Display Fabrication sections, it might make it easier to look through.

Macrosill
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
.pdf has been upped to 5mb.

cmitcham
02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
There is a link in the blue navbar up top for the Home page. There is a link in the bottom navbar for the Home page and Forum Index. Can you be more specific as to what link you would like and where?

now that i'm paying attention i see home page in the blue nav bar. the lighter bar below that stands out and has a home selection, that is what i found first. when that didn't work, i wanted the diyc icon at the top to get me to the diyc home.

it's not a show-stopper, and the file area is a great idea. thank you!

deplanche
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I like it. Nice work Brian!

Is there a way we can add a form or database entry for the .vix files so that we can better search for a file, and know what it is without having to download it. For exmaple:

Sequence Name:
Song Name:
Artist Name:
Sequence Length:
Event Interval Length:
Number of Channels:
Dimming (Yes/No):
Profile Name (if using)

I am sure there are others, but this is all I could think of right now. Just thinking if we all put in the same info, we could make it easier to find what we are looking for in the future. Right now it's easy... but next year, I expect to find lots more in there.

Macrosill
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
When uploading a file you can post about it, just like in the forums now. The person uploading a file should post all the pertinent info with it.

rice66
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I think screening posts in this area is an excellent idea. Another great job from admin!!!!

51fordf2
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Okay, MY $.02 worth...

Looks great, I've asked about this before, nice to see it happening.

Now, about the pcb's....is there a way to break them down, as far as software used to create it. I don't know how many times I've downloaded pcb files, here and elsewhere, then had to figure out which program to use to open it...between ExpressPCB, PCBArtist (the freebies), Eagle 5.0, Protel (and Altrium), as well as the myriad of other proggy's, it can be tough. Or maybe, alternatively, when a pcb file is uploaded, there could be a drop down menu, or the sort, that makes the poster choose the program? Just a pipe-dream, but one that would make life a whole lot easier, maybe?

Other than that, I like it...lot's!

R