PDA

View Full Version : Mini in Oz

piesrule58
01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Howdy all,

Just wondering if there are any plans for a mini in Oz this year?

Cheers, Terry

toodle_pipsky
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I sure as heck hope so - last year was brilliant! I know I can't justify suggesting somewhere in QLD (dammit), but would somewhere in NSW be out of the question?

Anyway, I'd go again this year!

Michael Sullivan
01-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I think we should try to have a MINI before the end of April for the following reasons.

1. all the issue we came across during the lights on season are fresh in our minds.
2. It then allows for us to all go back with plenty of time to build and rework on new ideas.
3. Give time for use to organize a couple of mini coops to be payed for and run.
4.Allow for there to be a chance for a later in the year MINI for hands on problem solving.
5. meet new people and better share and interact with them during the remainder of the year.

Last years mini was awesome but I found that at the time we had it I did not have the time to work on all my new found ideas and knowledge.

Cheers
Michael

artzy
01-24-2009, 07:02 AM
The office is available if you want it, just means toodles and dave end up visiting that Dandenong Hilton again..lol

Matt_Edwards
01-25-2009, 03:14 AM
We have a spare office currently. If I can get that, would that be useful?

My company is located in Bella Vista
our old office can be found here: 3343'53.25"S 15057'58.13"E

Otherwise, if you keep it to School holidays, we could drive to either North or South.

I will get an answer this week.

Happy Australia Day for Tomorrow.
Cheers
Matthew

wjohn
01-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Dave loves the Hilton

Early in the year is fine with me, I'll be home over the next school Hols.

John.

artzy
01-25-2009, 07:50 AM
If its gonna be during the hols why dont we head up Toodles way

toodle_pipsky
01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
If its gonna be during the hols why dont we head up Toodles way

Hahahaha yay! Well . . . .Work owns a block of units at Tugun (15 mins down the road from the Gold Coast, 5 mins up the road from Coolangatta airport). It's only a block of 4 holiday units, but $10 per person per night, you couldn't rent a cardboard box at the coast for that. To top it off I don't take many bookings from April onwards until September. . . and it's across the road from the beach . . . . . just throwing out the idea of a tropical mini . . . . ;)

artzy
01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Just a thought do all of the states holidays align in April?

Matt_Edwards
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Just about:
VIC: 3rd April to 20th April
NSW: 10th April to 27th April
QLD: 10th April to 20th April

Can we progress this to something definite?

My preference is 11/12th in Melbourne. (purely personal reasons!)
Second choice would be 11/12th or 17/18th in Brissy

Cheers
Matt

Michael Sullivan
01-26-2009, 05:44 AM
I think it needs to be in melbourne as this being where most of the people and hardware is to put on show.

But in saying that it would be a great idea if all the members here in Melbourne built up a little pool of donations to make it cheaper for others to attend as we would have to spend a load of cash to head anywhere else so why not put our hands in our pockets and make it cost effective for all.

Michael

jgrei1
01-26-2009, 06:21 AM
sorry.. but if its mid year and in melbourne or the lower part of aus i wont be able to attend.

edward57
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Can we skype conference call (webcammed) to those that cant make it..??

artzy
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
That would be dependant on venue I guess and access to the net.

Matt_Edwards
01-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I can bring a NextG air card with mt laptop, so it will be possible.

Do you think it will work? my attempts at Skype haven't been that successful.
Great for voice but no chop for video.

Cheers
Matt

wjohn
01-30-2009, 11:26 PM
we can use WEBEX.com.. I have an account.

IT can do,
Voice, You can hear the proceedings by dialling into a 1-800 number.
Video, Multipoint video
Application sharing. the Host can share any application on their PC or give participants sharing rights.

I use it every day.

Matt_Edwards
01-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks John I have used Webex also but I don't have an account.
Cheers

artzy
01-31-2009, 05:09 AM
Would I be safe in assuming Melbourne seems to be the most logical/popular option for a venue? If so do we have any other options available. Just feeling the sooner we get a date & venue sorted people can start organising travel/leave etc. and who knows we may even get some k1w1s attend this one

piesrule58
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane will be fine by me. If timing is OK and I can get off work, I will definitely attend.

Cheers, Terry

toodle_pipsky
02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Any further thoughts on this . . . .? Seems like Melbourne is the logical choice, *sigh* back to the Dandy Hilton ;). Anyone care to throw out some dates? My 2c worth, and keepin' it general, March - no go, April - ok, May - better, June - end of financial year so I will be exploding, no go.

(PS - that's a really kind suggestion Michael, I wouldn't expect anyone to fund my journey! I'm hoping the Rudd Gov will help me though :grin: c'mon stimulus package!)

daviddth
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
*sigh* back to the Dandy Hilton ;). c'mon stimulus package!)

Not gonna happen staying there again...

As for Krud's package, pfth, missed out again.

polar bear
02-07-2009, 06:28 AM
G'day, I am fairly new at diy blinky blink but having seen Terry's display at christmas convinced me that this is the way to go. Now having said that i read all the threads that you/us aussies put into this blinky blink caper, i dont know where you find the time, now i come across this one where you all get together etc. I may just be able to make it, where do you hold it ( looks like it will be in melbourne) i mean address wise date and time, if its 4-5 april would be terrific. any how please keep us up to date. :D

Matt_Edwards
02-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Polar Bear, hope to see you there.

Guys, some of us need to give 6weeks notice for holidays, so the faster we choose a date the better. Sorry for the added pressure.

Louise and I are keen to make it.

Matt

wjohn
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
4-5 Apr is good,

I'll talk to a couple of the Yocals, and see what we can bring together.

lytnin
02-10-2009, 04:14 AM
4-5 Aprill is the only weekend I can't go anywhere, as I'm hosting the Australian Tantrix Championships in Windsor NSW. Oh well.

Cheers
Dave

wjohn
02-10-2009, 04:47 AM
4-5 Aprill is the only weekend I can't go anywhere, as I'm hosting the Australian Tantrix Championships in Windsor NSW. Oh well.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

on first pass I thought you had written that you were hosting the Tantric championships.

Glad it is only gaming (TANTRIX)

lytnin
02-10-2009, 05:48 AM
LOL - yeah it tends to raise eyebrows initially. TANTRIX - short for Tangled Tracks, which is one of my other passions. If you know the game visit the tournament site http://tournaments.tantrix.co.uk/auto.

But I digress, John I'll be in touch soon for a myriad of boards. Several mates are getting itchy feet.

Cheers

piesrule58
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
June would be better for me, but I will try and make it no matter what date is decided on.

polar bear
02-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Hi again, I didnt mean to push any body to a certain date. as soon as you make up your minds just let me know so as i can organise my shifts to suit and organise a airy plane down south.

artzy
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Sorry if i've been distracted lately. I would think that if you want to be able to draw as many people as possible the weekend of 10/11 would be best as it encompasses school holidays for the three eastern seaboard states (not sure when the crow eaters have their holidays)

polar bear
02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Er hate to bring this up but the 10/11 th April is easter and the cost of a plane ticket is equivalent to the spare room being painted, one mortgage repayment or hundreds of lights from bunnings. Is there a plan 'B'?

toodle_pipsky
02-14-2009, 01:11 AM
. . . plane ticket is equivalent to the spare room being painted, one mortgage repayment or hundreds of lights from bunnings. . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA when you put it like that, love you guys, but you can party on your own! ;) I'll put my vote in for a different date if that's possible.

TimW
02-15-2009, 06:04 AM
yep... that's kind of a compelling reason!

I'd also prefer later in the year (say June/July). Will try and fit in with whatever is decided.

Tim

synnie
02-20-2009, 03:22 AM
I would be happy to come to but it also depends on the other half, as much as she wants to go to Victoria, we can only do it on first week of NSW school holidays due to her work commitments, and not if its gunna be bloody freezing...hehehe

Goldie
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
not if its gunna be bloody freezing...hehehe

Obviously you have not looked at the weather maps lately Melb. is one of the hottest Cities in Oz, we don't even get rain

synnie
02-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Lately your hotter than us up here, but in a couple of months time???? then again loking through the weather history your average is only 3-4 degrees cooler than us...

Goldie
02-20-2009, 11:05 PM
well l reckon that if we have it in April the weather will be ok, but we need to firm up some dates, location and then we can work on the format, will it be a fix the problems from last year or a show and tell like the last one ???

toodle_pipsky
02-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Both would be good! I really liked the history lesson and show and tell of all the different boards etc. but if there's a few more coming this year it would be great to get a show off of everyone's stuff and learn troublshooting tips.

polar bear
02-21-2009, 02:24 AM
living in the southern highlands we get all four seasons in one day , i will come prepared for all climates. should i bring 32 spf suntan lotion and a hat and a umbrella, large coat, wooly socks, boardies. strewth lot's of excess luggage here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

daviddth
02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
living in the southern highlands we get all four seasons in one day , i will come prepared for all climates. should i bring 32 spf suntan lotion and a hat and a umbrella, large coat, wooly socks, boardies. strewth lot's of excess luggage here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

So that explains Ingrid's large bag collection when we hit Melbourne last year. Apparently they flew a seperate 747 down just for her bags!

:D

toodle_pipsky
02-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey a girl has an image to maintain . . . . Actually it was pretty light I thought, 1 suitcase, 1 handbag and 1 laptop bag. Mind you, that doesn't count the 747 you were talking about. ;)

toodle_pipsky
02-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Ok, chucking some dates out there to get things moving. How 'bout the weekend after Easter - 18 & 19 April? Or late May? Or first weekend in June - 6 & 7, 8th is Queen's B'day so I don't know if the public holiday will help/hinder people traveling?

piesrule58
02-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Late May is better for me.

jgrei1
02-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Late May is better for me.

X2... hopefully ill be able to make this one now if its around that time

edward57
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Please somebody pick a date.. 23rd/24th May.. there's a date..
Do it / Plan it / People will work around it if they want to go..

You will never find a date that will be suitable for everyone..

If it's in Melbourne, I'll see you there.. if it's in Brissy.. then I wont!

polar bear
02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeell I suggest May 30/31 only cos i will be in Brisbane on the 24/25:p but as i will not be organising it i will go with the flow i only hope that there is some place to hold it as it looks to as if all Victoria is on fire:-( good luck

edward57
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
May 30/31 works for me also

Matt_Edwards
02-25-2009, 03:51 AM
We Ok for May 30/31 also.
Matt & the better half

Wombat
02-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Anytime for me so long as its in Sydney!!!
Wombat

artzy
02-25-2009, 04:41 AM
weeeeeeeeeeeell I suggest May 30/31 only cos i will be in Brisbane on the 24/25:p but as i will not be organising it i will go with the flow i only hope that there is some place to hold it as it looks to as if all Victoria is on fire:-( good luck

If thats meant to be humourous its in pretty damn poor taste

piesrule58
02-25-2009, 06:16 AM
I have met polar bear and I am sure he meant no offence to anyone.

polar bear
02-25-2009, 07:11 AM
sorry if i have up set any one it was not meant to humourous having been through it my self in 2002 i know what it is like. i meant the good luck to the organisers and all the people who are affected by this disaster have my support and sympathy. once again i am sorry if it has been seen as humourous it was not intended that way.

scorpia
03-17-2009, 06:03 AM
ok guys, times ticking on and im not sure where this got to

did anything get decided?

time place etc?

toodle_pipsky
03-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Didn't get anywhere! Men . . . sorry, Aussie men! :p hehehehehehehe And if it was left up to women, we'd just be sittin' around talking about shoes.

Well who ever can host it, you name the date and the time. If you decide . . . they will come.

jgrei1
03-19-2009, 05:18 AM
Didn't get anywhere! Men . . . sorry, Aussie men! :p hehehehehehehe And if it was left up to women, we'd just be sittin' around talking about shoes.

Well who ever can host it, you name the date and the time. If you decide . . . they will come.

i agree.. the host should decide the date.

Goldie
03-20-2009, 08:26 PM
l can't host this year as l have new toys in the games room, leaving not enough room for everybody, Paul has offered his office space, if that is still on offer lets make that the location, now all we need are dates, Paul, what is your preference in dates ?????

Michael Sullivan
04-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

I have a venue to hold the Mini images attached.

The location is Whitehorse Rd in Mitcham

It’s an office we rent across the corridor from my works office that they can’t rent out as normal office space due to the lack of windows so we rent is for storage in the back half and use the front part for meetings etc.

My manager offered it after a chat about looking for somewhere.

There are 30 chairs and the 3 meter table and it has toilets and sink as well as the normal building kitchenette and toilets.

There is power etc.

It’s free and we can use it any weekend, close to take away and has underground carparking.

Cheers
Michael

toodle_pipsky
04-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Cool bananas! Name a date and I'll see what I can do.

srm
04-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Michael,

that looks great,

I should be able to borrow a projector from work for the week-end

so when do you want to hold the get together ?

regards,

stephen