PDA

View Full Version : Measure Twice Cut Once

sigtaulightning
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Just double checking a few assumptions prior to actually sticking components to the board.

Capacitors on the 595 can go either way? They dont have a specific direction?

Also the Resistors are the same way or do I need to make sure they face a specific color coded pattern?

Thanks for the help it has been 10 years since I assembled something like this in High School.

90 days and lots of parts to melt together.

ErnieHorning
09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
The capacitors used on the ‘595 board are not polarized so they can be put in either way.

Resistors are non-polarized also. It is good practice to put all non-polarized parts facing the same direction. This makes it much easier to read the values and to verify that they are correct when doing a once over to check for errors.

ErnieHorning
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Well hmmmpff… I got a PM asking about one of the special resistors used on the ‘595 coop board that is published on this site so here is some additional information.

Resistors individually aren’t polarized, but sometimes they can be packaged together to help with time and space savings. The package is called a network and is used on the ‘595 coop board. It contains several resistors with one of their leads connected together and brought out to just one pin. In this particular case, it DOES matter what direction you place the part into the board.

A network can also contain virtually any component and they don’t have to be the same. They can be packaged several ways and are meant to be a time and space saver and a lot of times they’re also cheaper.

There is also a similar device called a hybrid which is actually a mini circuit board with individual components soldered on and a connector then dipped in epoxy or similar material. They may look similar to an IC and have pins or an edge connector.

sigtaulightning
09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info looking forward to getting this all complete. Hope to have some pictures soon.

sigtaulightning
09-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Okay so I feel like I might be asking a redundant question but I have read all of the assembly instructions on the 595 and cant come across the use of the 3 prong jumpers next to each set of chips. Also besides what they are for which way should the be jumped? 1&2 or 2&3?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I got all the soldering done last night and hope to get the cable made tonight to give her a shot.

Without a forum like this I would be very tired from flipping the light switch inside my house about 5000 times a night. :-)

Macrosill
09-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Its all here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=64_Channel_Olsen_595_Controller_As sembly_Instructions

Mudsculpter
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Its all here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=64_Channel_Olsen_595_Controller_As sembly_Instructions

look under the "SSR POWER" heading

sigtaulightning
09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
got it thanks. I have read that document multiple times but must have glossed over the SSR part as I was only concerned with the Controller at this point.

Again thanks to both of you for the help.