PDA

View Full Version : Countdown Clock

mkess
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Anybody have any ideas on how to make a countdown clock?

rocksolid
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I paid $20 for a snowman/countdown clock at Hobby Lobby right after Christmas. I plan to kill the snowman and incorporate the countdown panel in my Radio Station sign.
--Brent

Aurbo99
02-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I made a countdown clock while up north last year.. It could use either SSR's to control big strings of lights to make digits with or run on smaller led segments.

The end cost to build one from mouser had it slightly more expensive than the style you could pick up light rocksolid has.

Gutting the snowman and making the electronics module movable from one mount to another allows you to multi-purpose it into countdowns for any event.

Snowman cover for Chirstmas,
Pumpkin cover for Halloween,
Fireworks/Flag for 4thJuly,
etc..

kychristmas
02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
If I make it that far, I plan on using LEDTriks for a Countdown clock.

Rock, I saw those at HL, but I was Greedy and waited for the next discount and when I went back they were gone.

51fordf2
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Rock, I saw those at HL, but I was Greedy and waited for the next discount and when I went back they were gone.

I'm in sort of the same boat - before Christmas, I saw some really neat scrolling LED signs, in the automotive department at Target - $30, and ran on 12 volts, for the rear window of your car. Had some "pre-programmed" stuff, plus 5 sequences you could program. Thought about buying one, just to take apart, and see what it would take to "expand" it, to run a bigger sign. I didn't get one then, thinking they would have them after Christmas, but called the other day - oh no, they don't carry them!!

Drats!!!!!

They had a gazillion of them, didn't think they'd sell them out. But, they might have 90%'d them, and I didn't catch it...

I did see a countdown clock several years ago, can't remember anything about it, might have even been nixie tubes...

R

dnesci
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I paid $20 for a snowman/countdown clock at Hobby Lobby right after Christmas. I plan to kill the snowman and incorporate the countdown panel in my Radio Station sign.
--Brent

I bought the same one for $20. Figured it could be gutted and used almost anywhere. You make a good deal.

Don

Aurbo99
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Think you might be able to snag another one of these?

If you can, let me know the price.

I'd like to see if I can reverse engineer it and combine it with my project and perhaps make something cheaper and useful for us.