PDA

View Full Version : How do I Replace a Triac?

deplanche
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I am pretty sure I fried, blew, or somehow otherwise damaged a triac on one SSR. The one channel is staying lit all the time, and I have read that is usually the Triac. I have a few spares, and I want to replace it, but I am not sure how to do so. I know it has to be desoldered and put in a new one. And I have some desoldering braid. But I am not sure how to remove it, without damaging the other components or the PCB. Any hints on how to to this?

TERBObob
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
First , before removing it ... ( might be same problem I had ) did this SSR channel work properly and THEN it went ? Or was it never working right ?
If the latter , might want to first do some cleaning of flux and make sure that there are NOT little drizzles of solder anywhere they don't belong . ( mine was the first - left over flux creating a closed circuit where it wasn't supposed to be )

joneslights
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
First , before removing it ... ( might be same problem I had ) did this SSR channel work properly and THEN it went ? Or was it never working right ?
If the latter , might want to first do some cleaning of flux and make sure that there are NOT little drizzles of solder anywhere they don't belong . ( mine was the first - left over flux creating a closed circuit where it wasn't supposed to be )

I had several that stayed on. I ended up drying them out and they worked fine.

deplanche
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Not sure what the problem was on it. Was working fine at first. Then heard a pop. Fuse on the SSR blew. Only using a single C7 bulb on eachh channel, 4 C7s on the SSR, so wasn't overloaded. Checked everything, looked fine. Cleaned SSR anyway. One bulb burned out, so replaced that. Replaced fuse. Tried again. Channel with blown bulb now stuck on all the time. Works fine except for that.

omzig
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
To remove the triac I would cut it off just below the component, leaving the leads on the top. Then remove the leads one at a time by melting the solder underneath and pulling them out from the top with pliers.

Then take your desoldering braid and lay it across each hole and poke the tip of your soldering iron into the hole through the braid. It might take a few seconds but you should see the solder get sucked into the braid. You can turn your iron up a little bit if you have a temperature controlled iron.

51fordf2
01-07-2009, 03:07 AM
I have a soldering gun, that has a rubber suction ball on it, with a hole in the end. I bought it at Radio Shack, for $11. It's invaluable, as far as I'm concerned. I've pulled countless components off boards with it. Here's a link to it:

Desoldering Sucker (http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=desolder&origkw=desolder&sr=1)

You just squeeze the ball, put the end over the tip of the leg sticking out the solder side, let go of the ball, and voila, comes right out! Just make sure you have a tin can, and squeeze the ball to blow the solder into the can. My first one last 4 or 5 years, I just got my 2nd one this year.

1 channel, 0 dimmable. Powered by a man flicking a lightswitch to the beat.

Since you are standing there, anyway, you can get a dimmer switch, and wow!!! Dimming!!!!

http://www.crbest.com/lmao.gif

R

deplanche
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
To remove the triac I would cut it off just below the component, leaving the leads on the top. Then remove the leads one at a time by melting the solder underneath and pulling them out from the top with pliers.

My brian must have still been on vacation. The problem I was seeing was how to heat all three leads at the same time to remove it. With a bad one, I guess it makes sense to cut them apart and remove one at a time. That will be much easier to do.

Thanks to all for the tips.