PDA

View Full Version : Letters and words

vertigo
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Ive seen snap -n=glow letters but, as i understand it the company doesnt make them anymore or went out of production.

Anyone have any good tips or tricks for making signs or sayings light up?

TERBObob
01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
They can still be found on EBAY . Sometimes cheap , sometimes not .
I also understand , that the company was bought out and another company is going to be manufacturing them for THIS year . ( although , not sure WHEN , they will be on the market though )
I also know WHY the other company went and sold out .
Some of the panels had very good mini connectors , whereas others , were quite loose and I had to HOT glue the minis in place . ( and yes , these were NIB )
I also painted mine black , so , the SNAP-N-GLOW panels could not be seen at night time .
Now , if you want to , I know I have seen some letters that were made from cloroplast that looked REALLY good .

jameyboozer
01-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey guys. Not sure if you guys have figured out a good way to do this, plus not sure how important the appearance of your sign / letters are during the day, but I have found that using coroplast is the best way to create signs without using wireframes/welding iron with ropelight/etc. Depending on how creative you get, coroplast allows you to be as creative as you have the time to be.

If you will check out my website, you will see pictures of my signs I created for the "Tune to" as well as "Christmas in the O.C." - for added impact, and since I don't have to have random twinkles anymore since we learned to animate our lights, I use the random twinkles to add shimmer and bring attention to the most important part of the sign.

Our website is http://www.occhristmas.com - if you need any specific details about using coroplast and who inspired my reliance on coro, Marty Slack is the champion of this and has posted a wonderful how to on his site http://www.christmasutah.com/images/Coroplast_Marty_Slack.pdf

Also, I suggest that you find or purchase a punch awl - also, something I was not diligent at was making sure that I had the proper placement between my lights...I ended up calling it "whimsical" because they sure weren't symmetric.

Once you discover coro, you will be hooked and you will never have to purchase any display element again...only limited by your resources, creativity and time!!!

Hope this helps.

djulien
01-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Ive seen snap -n=glow letters but, as i understand it the company doesnt make them anymore or went out of production.

Anyone have any good tips or tricks for making signs or sayings light up?

I use a "low-tech" triks - hardware cloth with mini-lights stuck thru it. It is very low cost, and can do limited animation and/or multiple text. Attached are a couple of photos. In one sequence, I made the words "wave" by fading them in and out.

I can post more details if you want.

don

Warlock
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
please post the designs,pcb or anything else you are willing to share...
Thanks.
Joe

djulien
02-14-2009, 01:49 AM
please post the designs,pcb or anything else you are willing to share...

I wrote up some details - they are at http://downloads.eShepherdsOfLight.com/Howidid-Captions.pdf

don