PDA

View Full Version : FeMale Socket Conversion

ppohlman
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I don’t know how many of you clip the male ends off of light strands when you add them to your SSRs or controllers, but I found a great use for them once they’re cut off. I used the parts to connect two female plugs together.

This proved to be extremely helpful when adding the female end of a cutoff 1/2 strand of lights onto the end of an existing strand. No need to solder, crimp, cut, or modify the end just to add that half strand.

Follow these steps to convert your female plug into a male plug.

1 – Open up the male connectors to expose the insides. I found that this was much easier after compressing the sides with a pair of pliers. This created extra room for the plastic tabs to be released.

2 – Remove the brass inserts (the male parts) from the plug.

3 – Using pliers, smash the small tab of the brass insert that sticks out a bit. This allows the male parts to be used on both sides.

ppohlman
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
4 – Once you’ve smashed the brass prongs flat, insert them into the female end of the light strand.

5 – After both brass prongs have been inserted, this modified female plug can now be used to plug into another female end.

CAUTION: Make sure that the lights are unplugged while modifying or opening the plugs. Do not plug both ends of a single strand of lights into an outlet at the same time.

bmcgeeny
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
4 – Once you’ve smashed the brass prongs flat, insert them into the female end of the light strand.

5 – After both brass prongs have been inserted, this modified female plug can now be used to plug into another female end.

CAUTION: Make sure that the lights are unplugged while modifying or opening the plugs. Do not plug both ends of a single strand of lights into an outlet at the same time.

I see what you are doing. But why would you want to?

dnesci
12-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Most of us are in need of female plugs for SSRs and Ren26 & Ren16. I cut the female plugs of of strings that are on mini trees and arches. I then solder SPT to the female plugs to make cords for my boards.

But if you need more male ends, thats a way to due it.

bmcgeeny
12-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Most of us are in need of female plugs for SSRs and Ren26 & Ren16. I cut the female plugs of of strings that are on mini trees and arches. I then solder SPT to the female plugs to make cords for my boards.

But if you need more male ends, thats a way to due it.

I think what he is doing is plugging strings together at the female ends. But I am not sure why. I am a little conserned that if you wire up the male end to a controler by cutting the male plug off, then plug the female end of the string into the female end of another string, you would now have a male end that could accidentally be plugged into an outlet.

phenagan
12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Not to mention the potential for shock or shorts due to exposed "hot" prongs if the strings are energized!

ppohlman
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
The only time I have used this method is if I am adding a 1/2 string that has been cut off from a 100-ct strand.

When you cut a 100-ct strand in half, you are left with a male plug half and a female plug half. Using this method made it possible to add the cut half with a female plug into the end of a regular strand without further soldering, striping, or major modifications to either strand.

There are not any exposed HOT prongs because they don't exist on that half of the strand once it's been cut in half.

n1ist
01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
If that ever gets unplugged (or if you power things up in the wrong order), you would get exposed hot prongs. It's against the NEC to have an energized male cord cap to avoid the shock or fire hazard. If you do go this route (and I recommend against it), at least tape the connection together to reduce the hazard.

Elmo2resc
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I believe this is what ppohlman is doing.

phenagan
01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
It's still dangerous as the prongs on the modified plug are mechanically fixed, so they could remain in the energized string if the strings were seperated. Be a lot safer to use a male vampire or do like I do and use those left over male plugs cut off from the ends of the cords we use on the SSRs.

Elmo2resc
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree, Just stating what I believe ppohlman was doing.
I also use the cut off's from my cords. I always leave enough cord on the unused side so I can splice it in if needed at a later date.