PDA

View Full Version : Relocating

Macrosill
12-20-2008, 09:31 AM
During the week between Christmas and New Years the DIYC will be going down for a bit, hopefully only for a few hours. I will be relocating to a new server. The new hosting company allows me greater access to the server. This will allow me to install and maintain more powerful applications in the future. Now some of you may run into the same issue with reaching DIYC on the new server as you did trying to reach the wiki when it was relocated. This is a DNS issue with your ISP. If they do not update the DNS servers regularly it may take a few days for you to access the forums again. My apologies for this if it should occur. In the event you do experience this you may be able to access the server directly by following this link : http://64.38.29.245/~doityour/ This will not work correctly until the move but be sure to copy the link and save it somewhere so you can access the forums if your DNS servers are not updated.

This is the 1st step in making DIYC more than just a bulletin board. After the new year we will be adding a Content Management System and a centralized file storage feature so we can easily share, store and download Vixen sequence files, for an example.

Cnyncrvr
12-20-2008, 12:41 PM
What CMS do you plan on running on the new servers? I have experience with a few if you need some help after its all set up or need to pick my brain.

During the week between Christmas and New Years the DIYC will be going down for a bit, hopefully only for a few hours. I will be relocating to a new server. The new hosting company allows me greater access to the server. This will allow me to install and maintain more powerful applications in the future. Now some of you may run into the same issue with reaching DIYC on the new server as you did trying to reach the wiki when it was relocated. This is a DNS issue with your ISP. If they do not update the DNS servers regularly it may take a few days for you to access the forums again. My apologies for this if it should occur. In the event you do experience this you may be able to access the server directly by following this link : http://64.38.29.245/~doityour/ This will not work correctly until the move but be sure to copy the link and save it somewhere so you can access the forums if your DNS servers are not updated.

This is the 1st step in making DIYC more than just a bulletin board. After the new year we will be adding a Content Management System and a centralized file storage feature so we can easily share, store and download Vixen sequence files, for an example.

Macrosill
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
vbadvanced and vbdynamics. I am awaiting the Jelsoft CMS but it will not be out for about 1 year.

Cnyncrvr
12-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes Jelsoft is rumored to be a very good CMS, Im quite familiar with the nuke platforms and conversions IE: Phpnuke, Postnuke, neither of which were bad at all for open source. I tend to lean toward open source simply because there are more minds working on it and improving it. Anyway let me know if you need any help and thanks for this site as it is and giving me endless hours of reading LOL.

rice66
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
good luck in the relocation, my next thingy is to get you some more support money, as yet havent become a supporting memeber, I promise to do so soooooon!! Thanks for all your hard effort, wouldnt be where I am with controlling lights without this site.

Macrosill
12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Just want to bring your attention to this again before we start the move next week.

scorpia
12-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Good to hear things are moving along.

does this mean we will get pictures back on the front page again?

i havnt had any since you changed to the red page a month or 2 back

anyway good luck with the move and hopefully it wont be down long.

Peter

Macrosill
12-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Good to hear things are moving along.

does this mean we will get pictures back on the front page again?

i havnt had any since you changed to the red page a month or 2 back

anyway good luck with the move and hopefully it wont be down long.

Peter
A new front page is part of the overall plan for '09

Macrosill
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
If things go as planned tomorrow night the relocation will begin.

toodle_pipsky
12-29-2008, 01:34 AM
*Drum roll* Ooooh it sounds so exciting. Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

scorpia
12-30-2008, 05:11 AM
well its tomorrow and it seems to be here. not sure if its done yet

Macrosill
12-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Nope, not yet. Things did not go as planned yesterday evening, work got in the way. Hopefully today I will have more time.

Macrosill
12-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, as luck would have it GoDaddy has gone and changed the name of the server our database is on. This is going to probably cause issues. I am not going to waste any time dealing with it as the entire site should be moved by this evening.

Macrosill
12-31-2008, 01:49 AM
The relocation is complete!!!

Should you find any issues please notify me asap.

Mudsculpter
12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
I've got all my fingers and toes,... guess the move was a success. gratz

Greg in Canby
12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Success here in Oregon too!

wbuehler
12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Looks Good

Bill

zaker
12-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Working in PA.

TERBObob
12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
this is what I got

The forums have been relocated successfully. If you are seeing this message then the dns servers utilized by your ISP have not been updated yet. Temporarily you may access the forum at 64.38.29.245/~doityour/forums/index.php

rstehle
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Last night I got right in, today I got the same as TERBObob........ but the forum does seem to be running a lot faster..........:D

Dino242
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Is it just me, or are all the attachments in previous messages missing?

RichF
12-31-2008, 11:00 AM
It is not just you. I have the same problem. No attachments for any post prior to the move.

ppohlman
12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't notice that until you guys mentioned it.

Hey Brian, is that something that can be corrected? It would be sad to loose all of that information from past posts.

Macrosill
12-31-2008, 11:22 AM
I am working on it. Not to worry, we have the information it is just a matter of getting it to appear.

Trip
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Sounds like VB is giving you a workout, Brian. I feel your pain, I have had to move my VB forum 3 times over the past year. First two was for a bad host, third was to get more bandwidth/space.

disneynut
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Brian , I tried to upload a bunch of cutout page to share with the board members but i could not do it. Can you help me out.

lowrider3121
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
its working in michigan

Macrosill
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
All attachments should be working now.

TERBObob
12-31-2008, 10:47 PM
so how long does it take for :

the dns servers utilized by your ISP have not been updated yet.

????

Macrosill
12-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Depends on your ISP. Mine propagated that night.

Try clearing your browsing history and cache, that may help.

Trip
01-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Here is something crazy. Firefox is working correctly, IE is still going to the old location... I killed all cookies/history/cache too.

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
If anyone has received a "Content Encoding Error" the issue should be resolved.

rstehle
01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I was able to get directly in this morning. Brian, thanks for posting the alternate URL for temporary use!!

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
No problem Randy. Glad it helped out.

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
If anyone has not been receiving notification emails that issue should be resolved now.

As I have said before, anyone that has any issues please contact me.

TERBObob
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok , this morning , was able to log on the normal route ... but here we are , back to using the 64.38.29.245 . ( not by my choice either )
Any ideas ?

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I have no idea what it could be other than a propagation issue. All DNS test come back with zero Fail's. If you were able to get here earlier today and not now it could be that not all of the nameservers used by your ISP have been updated. If this is the case time is the only fix.

jstlucas
01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
In the event you do experience this you may be able to access the server directly by following this link : http://64.38.29.245/~doityour/

That was funny. At 12:45pm PST I was reading the forums then got the notice that the forums location had been changed due to the DNS servers not being totally up to date. Ok, I got the above url, it's just strange to have gotten it "mid-stream" so to speak.

kenl92
01-01-2009, 05:05 PM
when I try to access the main page www.doityourselfchristmas.com I get a message that says "this page is under construction please wait while you are redirected to the fourms". I have tried this on three different computers on two different Internet connections. Any idea?

Macrosill
01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Ken, that is intended at this time. That is the "home page". The url for the forums is www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/index.php . The home page will be updated in the not too distant future. I did not want to make the mover any more complicated than it already was by adding other applications. The redirect I put in the home page this way if you navigate there you will automatically directed to the forums.

Brad Riley
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Brian,

I logged on successfully this morning the usual way. Then just now had to use the 64.38.29....link.
I use Firefox. I know you are on top of the problem, just thought you might want to know.

Brad