PDA

View Full Version : How to power Grinch from PC?

hibenjie
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
How, I'm new to this. I opened my PC Tower and took a look inside.

How do I power my grinch controller using the wires inside.
And what wire do I use?

sjwilson122
12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
You are looking for a open four port connector comming from the power supply. It should have red, yellow and two black wires. Red is 5v., yellow is 12v. and black is ground. Tap the red(+) and one of the blacks(-) for 5v. supply for the Grinch. You might want to check how many amps your power supply can handle at 5v.. If you have alot of equipment in your PC (multiple hard drives, multiple optical drives, high end video cards, etc.) you will need a fairly healthy power supply. A run of the mill PC (one hard drive, one video card, one optical drive) with a 20-30 Amp 5 volt rail should work fine.

jpb
12-14-2008, 10:14 PM
An easy way is to pick it up from one the the extra drive power cables.
Have a look at this link and you will see what which wires have which voltages and then grab your +5v and 0v (gnd) from there. It is Red and Black !!
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#floppy

It is then your choice of how to get it to from the computer to the grinch. I made a short cable from inside the PC that ended on a socket at the rear of the PC and then a cable from there to the Grinch which allows me to easily disconnect the cable from the PC without removing the cover.

Just make sure of your polarity when you get to the Grinch 'cause if you get it wrong you will cook your chip. Maybe do your first test with just one chip and if you have a meter, check the voltage and the polarity at the Grinch before putting the chip in. Just remember to disconnect the power before inserting the chip.

Jon

hibenjie
12-15-2008, 04:13 AM
That was helpful.

So do I just cut the wire off from the harddrive cable and tape it together with the Grinch power cable?

One of the ends of the Grinch power cable (both by the way are black) has a red tape on it. Does this connect to the red wire from the hardrive wires?

SeaHoCaptain
12-15-2008, 09:52 AM
That's one way. Basically you want to tap the red (5v) for your + and the black for your -. I dont have my Grinch in front of me at the moment but I beleive if your holding the Grinch with the power oriented in the upper left hand side. Then the + is the top pin and the - is the bottom pin.

David