PDA

View Full Version : To Double Up or Not to Double Up

Photovor
12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Who here has a mega tree, and do you use single strands from the top to bottom, or do you halve them, by either doubling them up, or one up and down the other side?

I'm debating what to do with mine next year. So far I'm thinking 48 single strands for an 17' tree. (24 white, 24 blue)

RichF
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I did 20 individual strands. My plan was to do 60 of each color stand overlapping the next color so there were a group of 3 wires every 4 inches on my mega tree but had problems lifting the tree up so I went with 1 of each strand.

holtm
12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Single on white (50ct strings) and double on blue (100 ct strings).

XmasInGalt
12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I have a 14' mega treee with 12 channels of 4 colors each (48 channels). My 100 mini light strings are about 24-26 feet long so one string goes up the tree and down the opposite side. That gives me one light string about every 3 to 4 inchs around the base of my tree.

bmcgeeny
12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Who here has a mega tree, and do you use single strands from the top to bottom, or do you halve them, by either doubling them up, or one up and down the other side?

I'm debating what to do with mine next year. So far I'm thinking 48 single strands for an 17' tree. (24 white, 24 blue)

I'm doubling mine next year. Both number of strings and bulbs per string.

gerald sundberg
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Use single strands they look much better.

tonypgst
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I have 24 hooks on my tree topper. Each hook gets a string that is folded in half per color. So each hook has red, green, and clear on it and each color runs up then down the tree. I also have 12 channels per color, so each channel has two strings. I only go up and down the same side so that I still have control over each slice individually. My tree is 12' tall from the base to the topper. The total height is 15' tall to the top of my star which is 2' tall. My base is 1' off the ground. The length of string required from topper to base for my tree is 12.5'. I used strings that have a lighted length of 25' with a total wire length of 27'. If I went taller, I could not use these strings unless the tree was about 25' tall and then I'd need to add more strings to fill in the larger base circumference. I personally do not like mega tree's with skirts, just my opinion.

It is important to plan things out. Most recommend a base diameter that is half the tree height. Of course, you must consider light string length and what is required for the height of tree you are planning. Once that is set, then you have to consider available channels. If you are not limited, then based on your base diameter, you can figure the base circumference in inches. Then try for a 5-6" spacing between strings. This will allow you to plan the number of strings needed and how many strings you want per channel. From there, if you want to add colors, then just add the same number of strings and channels per color. If you have a 5-6" string spacing for one color, it will be the same for the other, just offset each color a little to consistently fill in the tree. I hope this makes sense.

kylec
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
My only suggestion is to use at least 2 strings per channel. That way if you have a string or two go out, you don't lose that whole channel. The tree still looks complete until you have a chance to fix the dead strings.

Kyle

BillAd
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Same as Kyle, two strands per color for each segment.

Bill

kostyun
12-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Definatly agree on that Kylee - double up the strings - and its good if part of 1 goes out.

djulien
12-12-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm using doubled-over strings, mainly because I have a smaller mega-tree ("midi-tree"?) that is only 12' high and the strings of mini lights are about 25'. I have a 12-spoke tree, with 4-color super-strings (R,G,B,W).

As it turns out, I'm glad that I doubled them over - a half string went out on a couple of the strings. I was going to replace them, but they're not noticeable because there is still a half string lit (one line of lights instead of 2) in that spot so there is no gap, so I'm just going to leave it and see if I can get through the season as-is If more of that string goes out, I'll replace it.

don