PDA

View Full Version : Random lights problem with 4 olsen 595's :( HELP

Toaster
12-10-2008, 01:34 AM
This is my second year at this, last year I had 128 ch on a pair of olsen 595's. No issues except when I had lots of channels on we had some dimming. I thought it was my AC power feed out to the lights, and lived with it last year. no biggie. (those 2 olsen's were being powered from a USB connector & cable cut and made into a olsen power cord)

This year, we added our remaining 128 channels (256 total) and built the other pair of olsen 595's (no still no dimming ability yet - I'm lazy, what can I tell you... Worse even, I have the ren-c's and stuff, just never got around to building, testing, etc)

This year, I ran a second AC circuit, and still got some dimming, so I pulled a couple of old drive enclosure's out of the closet - Old apple SCSI external tape drive's (DID I JUST 'DATE' MYSELF?). I had a bunch of these because when I was a mac guy, I liked the apple logo on the boxes, and always planned to put cd-rom's or hdd's in there.. ANYWAY: I used a total of three of these self contained enclosures as follows: 1) powers my Vaseltec fm tranmitter. 1) powers a pair of olsen's using a Y-Cable and last 1) powers the other 2 olsen's using a Y-Cable. I pulled off J1 on all of the olsen's (thats the 'daisy chain' power jumper). In this configuration, I get NO DIMMING - so that's great!

When my sequences run, I got random lights flicker on/off - channels just come on when they're not supposed to! ??? WTF!?

I'm not very technical, but I can follow direction's with the best of them. WHAT COULD MY PROBLEM BE!? Help me obi-wan kenobi(s), you're my only hope!

deplanche
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Several others are having the same problem...

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5568
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5448

Seems to be a common problem with a variety of controllers.

Photovor
12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I've had these issues before on my breadboarded 595. I've tied the power pins on the chips to ground using decoupling capacitors. I don't have the issues anymore. I should have had them there in the first place.

LightOut
12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
I've had the same issues in the past and they cleared up once I grounded everything to everything else. Sounds simple, but grounding all the boards together and also to the power supply and also to the computer port ground helped a lot.

Toaster
12-12-2008, 08:17 PM
OK... How exactly do I do that? Run a ground wire from board to board to board to board to power supply to power suppy to computer!???

Toaster
12-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I've had these issues before on my breadboarded 595. I've tied the power pins on the chips to ground using decoupling capacitors. I don't have the issues anymore. I should have had them there in the first place.

How EXACTLY do I make this happen?????????

mahoo313
12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I have flickering problems. I am running from my laptop via usb to serial adapter to ren t then to ren c to 64 ch olsen 595. After that I have a ren c to a grinch controller. I have one old computer power supply that powers both boards. I am running leds and regular bulbs off the olsen and regular bulbs off the grinch ( 24 ch tree) I am getting lights flickering, usually during dimming. Drives me nuts. I tried different computers, cables, different ren t but I am giving up. How would I ground it all together. I will try anything.

holtm
12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I had some issues with multiple power supplies also (only with Renard). All of the issues went away when I used grounded extension cords. Last year I fixed it by running a separate, 16 awg wire between all of the power supplies, I just hooked all of the black grounds together including the computer.

LightOut
12-14-2008, 10:49 AM
OK... How exactly do I do that? Run a ground wire from board to board to board to board to power supply to power suppy to computer!???

Yup. That's pretty much what I did, and the flickering went away.
YMMV, but that's what did it for me.

warendall
12-16-2008, 03:33 PM
i have a simple 595 chip board with 64 lights all built in a single stand alone computer i have built just for my lights, now when i use the 64 light board by itself it works great but when i add an 8 swtich with controling 595 built in the switch then things go crasy with unwanted light flickering all over with vixen switches turned off.
i am using 32 of the switches off of the 64 switch board and all 8 off of the serial board running off of the 64 switch board....
now when i hook up the new 8 switch board things go crazy the some of the switch positions moved ( like switch one is now four) and also i can set a few of the lights on and then turn them on then off then on the off and the lights coming on move around. What is the problem here can anyone help!

Wayne J
12-19-2008, 10:47 PM
How EXACTLY do I make this happen?????????

Use some decoupling caps (same ones used for the Grinch) and solder them in so they are on pins 8 and 16 of the 595 ICs.

Toaster
12-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Use some decoupling caps (same ones used for the Grinch) and solder them in so they are on pins 8 and 16 of the 595 ICs.

Can you give me a Mouser part number...?

And you're saying buy 32 of these and solder them on each of the 595 chips...? (8 chips per board, 4 boards = 32 caps)

Right?

I'll try it... What have I got to loose.

And in another thread, someone asked if I was running all four 595 boards on a single parallel port... The answer is YES. I am... Can I seperate them out to 2 separate LPT ports if I add a second one via PCI card?

THANKS.

Wayne J
12-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Can you give me a Mouser part number...?

And you're saying buy 32 of these and solder them on each of the 595 chips...? (8 chips per board, 4 boards = 32 caps)

Right?

581-SA105E104Z

Yes

Macrosill
12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Are the boards in question my coop boards? If so they have caps for the 595, if they were installed. Also they have the grounds all tied together via the data connections.

Toaster
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Are the boards in question my coop boards? If so they have caps for the 595, if they were installed. Also they have the grounds all tied together via the data connections.

Yes, they are your boards. And I installed EVERYTHING.. LED's, all caps, etc... The SSR's are from Sean Bowf's coop, and the 595's are from you coop a few years ago.

The only thing I didn't installed were the fuse's on the SSR's. Everything else is installed :(

jmksparks
01-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Try reducing the voltage to the boards. use one supply then add one diode
( 5400 range ) or more to reduce the supply disconnect all ssr,s for the time being, if this inproves or cures we will go from there.