PDA

View Full Version : vixen channel output

John Benedict
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey ya'll,

Trying to reroute the outputs for my profile from one channel to another. When I try to do it in my profile page, I only get the screen that appears when you are changing the order. I cannot get the one in the help screen that shows from where to where the signal is going. Any Ideas?

mahoo313
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I had the same problem for Halloween. When in the edit profile screen use the "change the channel outputs" button on the top - left side of the channel names. The change channel order on the right side changes the way you see them on the screen.

Hope that helps.

zaker
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey ya'll,

Trying to reroute the outputs for my profile from one channel to another. When I try to do it in my profile page, I only get the screen that appears when you are changing the order. I cannot get the one in the help screen that shows from where to where the signal is going. Any Ideas?

In the Edit a Profile window, you see the channels listed. Top left of the channel list there is a button with a red rectangle and green arrow, mouse over shows Change the Channel Outputs.

Click on the button and drag-n-drop the order you want. This will change the output order.

deplanche
12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
The change channel order and the change channel order OUTPUT screens looks almost identical, so that may be your problem. In fact, if you are using a profile, I think the windows even have the same name. You can tell the difference by if the channels are shown in a different order or not when you click done. Changing the OUTPUT does not make any changes on the screen, changing the order does.

Macrosill
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Look at this: That is the button that will allow you to change the channel output. To verify the output was actually changed you can right click on any channel name and click on "Toggle Outputs". This will open up the gray channel numbers, which is the actual output. See the second pic.

John Benedict
12-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys. that was exactly the explanation I needed.

ppohlman
12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
To verify the output was actually changed you can right click on any channel name and click on "Toggle Outputs". This will open up the gray channel numbers, which is the actual output. See the second pic.

Just to clarify this a bit, you need to right click on the channel name inside a sequence once it's opened.
Right clicking on the channels in the profile manager does not do this.

Macrosill
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Just to clarify this a bit, you need to right click on the channel name inside a sequence once it's opened.
Right clicking on the channels in the profile manager does not do this.

Good point.

rlilly
12-05-2008, 12:05 AM
So, does this then only reorder channels for that sequence, or does it reorder them for the profile?

(I guess once you do it for a sequence, you can then save it to a new profile?)

Macrosill
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
In the "Edit a Profile" window it effects all sequences attached to that profile.

John Benedict
12-07-2008, 12:13 AM
okay apparently I am Way too silly to figure this out. When I change the Channel output using the channel output screen, ( top left button in profile page), If I pull say channel one and move it to under channel 6, one now outputs to six. But when I check i the sequence to check what the channels outputs are now, 1 goes to 6, 2 goes to one, 3 goes to 2, 4 goes to 3, etc until you get to seven where it goes back to the natural order. I am desperite as I drove home 5 hours from my jobsite to fix this and have to drive back tomorrow afternoon. I have about 12 channels to change outputs on so it just gets better each time I try. Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??????

Wayne J
12-07-2008, 12:51 AM
It is acting as it should. You pull a channel out and place it somewhere else, everything else has to move too.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly? I know you want 12 channels moved around, but in what order do you need them? If you like, send the sequence and profile, I will change them around for ya, should only take about 5 minutes.

John Benedict
12-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Actually, I just want the channel to output to a different channel I have spare. The physical location of the plug was unable to go the the ssr. I was just adding another box and moving the output to that channel. Had a few to do and did not want to copy paste the changes in each sequence. I thought it was actually simple. Seems I am really the simple one on this subject!

Wayne J
12-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Actually, I just want the channel to output to a different channel I have spare. The physical location of the plug was unable to go the the ssr. I was just adding another box and moving the output to that channel. Had a few to do and did not want to copy paste the changes in each sequence. I thought it was actually simple. Seems I am really the simple one on this subject!

OK, just move the channel to that location, then one it is replacing to the the location of the one you moved. Basically just swap out the two with each other. Then all of the other channels will stay as they were. ;)

Macrosill
12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
As Wayne stated. When you move channel 1 to channel 6 you also need to move the old channel to 6 the channel 1 spot. This way channel 2 still stays in the second spot.

John Benedict
12-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow, it all seems so simple after a nights sleep. Thanks for the help guys. Swapping the channels was what I was missing.

dmcole
12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
OK, now I'm stuck/confused.

Like John, I need to move some channel data from one place to another -- because of issues too mundane to address here, I need the information that was formerly transmitted on Channel 10 to now be transmitted on Channel 7 (there are a bunch of others, too, but let's take this one at a time).

So, I open the profile, click on the "change the channel outputs" button, click on Channel 10 and then drag it up underneath Channel 6. Then I click on Channel 7 and drag it down underneath Channel 9.

I click "OK."

I open an existing sequence that uses that profile, and Channels 7 and 10 and where they had been before. I create a new sequence, and Channels 7 and 10 haven't moved.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed, except when I click on "change the channel outputs" button on the profile, the channels have moved.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

\dmc

deplanche
12-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Right click on the channel names in the sequence screen. Click on toggle channel outputs. You should now see a gray box to the left of the channel name that shows where the output is going. So the gray 7 would be with Channel 10, and the gray 10 with channel 7.

This is confusing with channel names that are the default numbers. If you use "bushes" instead of Channel 7 and "tree" instread of Channel 10, it get easier to see and change.

Keep in mind that there is no default way to set the channel order shown in the sequencing window to the channel output order if you change the order. You would have to create a new channel order, and know which channel goes where to do this.

After the holidays, I plan on putting together a few files that will better show the differences between channel order, channel output, and natural order, since this seems to be something many people are struggling with.

Reddy_Kilowatt
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
As Wayne stated. When you move channel 1 to channel 6 you also need to move the old channel to 6 the channel 1 spot. This way channel 2 still stays in the second spot.

Yep, I had ~100 outputs to reorder. I spent 5 days playing Three-card Monte. :oops:

I reverted back to Vixen 1.1, reordered the channels, converted to 2.X and finally, got it done. ;)

----------------------------------------

For A work around. If you have several outputs to reorder.... You might try this.

Vixen 2.X -> 1.1 -> 2.x. Steps:

1- Open an existing 2.X sequence, from the "sequence" drop down , choose "export channel names list", close Vixen 2.x.

2- Download Vixen 1.1 and create a blank template sequence. No need to setup plugins or channel size at this time.

3- From the "sequence" drop down, choose "import channel names list", pick the file you saved in the 2.X "Imports and Exports" folder. Channel size will be adjusted automatically.

4- Right click on any sequence channel name, Click "toggle channel outputs".

5- Double click on the gray channel output number you want to change and enter the output # you desire.

Keep in mind, as above, you still have to account for all the channels you displace! From the "sequence" drop down, choose "Verify output channel mapping" and take care of any orphans you might have. :grin:

6- Download and extract a new copy of Vixen 2.X to a new folder (do not run it yet), save the 1.1 sequence to the new 2.X "sequences" folder. Now run the new copy's 2.X "vixen.exe". The blank 1.1 template sequence will now be converted to 2.X with the new channel output order.

-Craig

John Benedict
12-23-2008, 01:05 AM
It was a somewhat confusing learning curve. After a couple of them I started even using spare channels at the end of the list and inserting them where needed to make the order. I was really wishing i knew how to write a small program that just "swapped channel outputs". Couple of time I got lost on what I was moving and had to stop and study where I was. With some practice, it worked out fine. but it would have been really fun to just fill in 2 blanks! However, don't think I'm complaing. I love the software and what it does for me.

tlorek
03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
OK, I'm following what this thread shows on how to rearrange channels. I'm using the "Change the channel outputs" option on the Profile editor. I've moved the channels up and down as needed. When I completed this, I opened a sequence and selected the "Toggle Channel Outputs" to see that the channels are numbered properly. Everything's fine so far. However, when I choose to "Restore Natural Order", the channels show up in the original order, prior to my corrections. In addition, when I go into the Adjustable preview, the channel order shows in the original, unchanged order.

Any thoughts on how I can correct these? I *could* go into the .pro file and edit the order of the items in the <ChannelObjects>, but didn't know what other affects this would have.

Thanks,

tlorek
03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, I tried to change the order of the channels in the <Profile><ChannelObjects> section of the profile as well as the order in the <Outputs> section just below the channels. These changes cleared up the sort order for "Natural Order" and on the Adjustable preview drop down list. However, the messed up big time the separate channel order I created as well as the visual output on the adjustable preview when I ran the sequence. Oh well. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

deplanche
03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Natural order will always be the way the channels were first entered into the program. You can't change that, by another other means except opening the .pro or .vix file and editing the text (which i don't recommend for most users). Think of the natural order the same as you would a bunch of children being born. The first one born is the oldest, the last one born in the youngest, and you can't insert a new child in between any of the ones already born. They are born in a natural order. This is how Vixen sees it.

Rearraging channel orders is just a way for us to look at them in different groups, that may be similiar. Think of it as arranging the kids alphabetically by name, by height, by weight, or any other thing you can think of. There are 100s of ways you can arrange them, but it doesn't change their natural order. It is just easier to work with.

The adjustable preview uses the natural channel order, because that is what vixen uses internally, so it is just easier to program that way. Since you can't change the natural order, the order in the adjustable preview won't change. This is why bookkeeping becomes important.

ErnieHorning
03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
You canít change the output number, which is what the natural order refers to. When you change the channel order, all youíre doing is changing the row that itís displayed in Vixen. Channel 2 is still channel 2 whether itís displayed in the second row or the tenth row.

It just makes writing sequences easier. For instance, I have a tree that has eight strings of Red, Green, Blue and White. The first R, G, B & W string is connected to channels 1, 2, 3 & 4 and the rest follow up to channel 32. To make sequencing easier, I put the Red strings in the first four rows and the rest follow after. Now I can highlight all 8 Reds and fade them all up at the same time. I can also hold down the control key and drag a line at a 45 degree angle, which will cause each string to turn on and off in sequence to make it look like the Redís are walking around the tree.

deplanche
03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
You canít change the output number, which is what the natural order refers to. When you change the channel order, all youíre doing is changing the row that itís displayed in Vixen. Channel 2 is still channel 2 whether itís displayed in the second row or the tenth row.

I disagree. If you toggle the channel output, you can see which output channel each row is being sent to. If you don't like it, you can change it. This lets you move channels to different controllers.

Remeber, there are three different things here:
1 - Natural Channel Order - this isn't changable within the program
2 - Channel Number (aka Channel Name) - this is changeable. By default are Channel 1, Channel 2, etc.
3 - Channel Output - this is changable. By default Channel 1 outputs to Channel Output 1, Channel 2 outputs to Channel Output 2, etc.

ErnieHorning
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I was thinking it right; I just used the wrong words. It gets confusing because there are physical channels and virtual channels. The physical oneís are in hardware and canít be changed. The virtual channels are only on the software side and can be redirected to any physical channel. Even though Vixen uses the word channel, itís really not. Itís really just a location that originally has the same name as a physical channel number. I remember it was suggested that we come up with a better name, but it never happened.

tlorek
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
The adjustable preview uses the natural channel order, because that is what vixen uses internally, so it is just easier to program that way. Since you can't change the natural order, the order in the adjustable preview won't change. This is why bookkeeping becomes important.

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. I can, however simply create a new channel order for the new order of channels so I can match that up with my spreadsheet more easily (yes, good bookkeeping is key!).

One more question, How do I edit a channel order? There's the dropdown to create a new one in the profile, but I can't figure out how to edit one that I've already created.

Thanks!

deplanche
03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
On the left side of the channel list (in the profile view), the upper most button is for changing the channel OUTPUT mapping. It looks just like the channel order one, so it is confusing.

tlorek
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
No. I'm aware of the Channel order button on the upper left. I'm interested in editing an existing channel order I've created. See the circled area of the attached image for what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

deplanche
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
You can't change an existing saved order. You'd need to make a new one (say "temp order"), delete the old one, and then bring up the "temp order" and save it as the name you just deleted. Not the easiest way, but it is the only way i am aware of.

This is for channel order... NOT channel output.

tlorek
03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks.

rstehle
03-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Actually you can change a saved order. From the "Edit a Profile" screen, select the order you want to revise. Then click on define new order. The previous order remains, and you make the changes you desire. When done, click on the save icon (small box to the right of channel order). You will get a box come up asking the name of the new order. If you name it the same as the order you were trying to change, it will tell you that it is already in use, and do you want to change it. Click on Yes, and you now have your original order with the changes. The hard thing for me to remember is to click on the "save" box after making the changes.......:shock:

tlorek
03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Actually you can change a saved order. From the "Edit a Profile" screen, select the order you want to revise. Then click on define new order. The previous order remains, and you make the changes you desire. When done, click on the save icon (small box to the right of channel order). You will get a box come up asking the name of the new order. If you name it the same as the order you were trying to change, it will tell you that it is already in use, and do you want to change it. Click on Yes, and you now have your original order with the changes. The hard thing for me to remember is to click on the "save" box after making the changes.......:shock:

Ding Ding Ding!!!!! We have a winner!!! :cool:

This is exactly what is needed.

Thank you Sir! :D