PDA

View Full Version : looking for Cost effective High CH DMX Dimmers

michilson
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

Need some help Im looking for Dimmer packs that are cost effective, offer a high channel count and can be built by a hobbiest or someone with limited knowledge of building PC boards.

I need it to be in a tough encloser and it need to be able to get DMX control in and out from a Ettec Open DMX universe.

I was looking at 4 ch Dimmers on Ebay for around 75 ea and if i can do better on price i'd like to

Please help me out with any suggestions and please post the web links to where i can find more info thanks

vairmoose
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
One option that may fill your requirements is the Lynx family of controllers. Suggest you take a look at http://diylightanimation.com/index.php.

Larry

michilson
12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I was on that page but could not find actual information about the dimmer packs.

vairmoose
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Go to the Wiki (http://diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ). There is a mountain of info there. Your response indicated that you are expecting to see a commercial venture here, selling premade electronics. Remember, This is DIY (do it yourself) which can be anything from making the PCBs in your kitchen sink to assembling components you bought to PCBs made by others. And then .... there are the display elements .. (a whole new world of fun).

Also, cruise through the WIKI on this site. (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page). Strongly recommend you read the "beginners guide". There's a whole lot of learning there.

Larry

michilson
12-02-2008, 03:01 PM
The Lynx family of controllers looks to me like kits that are purchased and assmebled can someone point me to the location to see pricing. Thanks

knguyen220
12-02-2008, 04:56 PM
go here to check what they were going for in the coops.

http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?board=23.0

DynamoBen
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
With DMX 16 is the magic number. According to the DMX standard you can only have 32 devices on any give DMX line. So 512/32 = 16. So if each dimmer pack has at least 16 dimmers you can chain them together to maximize you dimmer count.

michilson
12-03-2008, 12:09 PM
This is helpfull. I did stumble across the Coop page but have not seen a price of sorts yet.

I see the Light-O-Rama Controlers can be run in a DMX mode and at 185.00 for the Kits, encloser, Wires for 16 CH of DMX

Not a Bad deal. Im also talkin to a DMX dimmer pack Supplier on Ebay if they can get me into that same price range Per-CHannel In smaller packs i might go that route.

This if for a hallow haunt not christmas lights so i really need smaller groupings spread out rather than a large ch count in one spot.

This will mean a little more setup work to link all the packs together but not having to build a Dimmer module might be worth it.

If anyone has a Completed price tag for the Coop Units can you give me a idea of what i'd be looking at. This is a budget build and the more cost savings the better.

If i can beat the 185 i'll deffently go that route.

vairmoose
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
michilson,

From your last post here, it appears that you have misconception on what a COOP is. first, the COOP is not a store front. You cannot drive up to the window and get two to go.

Each COOP is started when a member (or members) takes on the self imposed task of being a COOP manager. This includes advertising (within the forum) and then getting orders (quantity desired) of a particular item, collecting the moneys, ordering the parts and paying for them, repackaging the parts after they've been received from the supply houses and shipping the packages to the members. And then resolve any issues/problems that occur throughout the process. A COOP can take as little as a few weeks to many months (depending on the nature of the item(s) being handled).

This item could be a single PCB, a "set" such as the recently run LEDTRIK PCBs, a "kit" that might include PCB and all the parts to populate the PCB and maybe even a container. Each COOP has it's own flavor and set of rules as defined by the COOP manager (while meeting the basic COOP rules of the forum). Those rules might include such things as "there is a minimum requirement for the COOP to be viable", pay at the time of placing the request, select from multiple options, etc. There are seldom any "kits" left over after the COOP manager has done their thing and mailed the packages out.

The Real benefit in "participating" in a COOP is the reduction in component costs due to the volumn. With the single exception of the PCBs used in these controllers and SSRs, all the components are usually readily available from the various electonic supply houses (at a premium because of non-volumn).

With that being said, the pricing of a COOP is not controlled but is singularly dependent on the number os items that are ordered. Example: PCBs... 50 pcbs of a new design (assume small board) are ordered from a mfg - the per board price might be $20. If 500 are ordered, the per board price may drop to $10 or even less. Resistors.... you buy less than 10 from a supply house - the cost may be $.25 each. Buy 100 or more and the price is now in the one to 3 cent region for many of the standard resistors.

Many of the "standardized" PCBs are readily available from members who have chosen to make or have the PCBs made in volumn and hold them for later distribution (at volumn prices).

i hope this helps clear up misconceptions about the COOPs.

Larry

michilson
12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks that explains things much better. I think for the most part im going to go the pre-assmelbed route.

I'm running 10 Prop-1 controlers with relay set-up

I was also looking for a easy way to run 16 channels of DMX from a localized spot (IE Computer)

I think i might go with a Enttec USB - DMX converter

and Im going to use 4 4Ch DMX dimmers from a EBay Supplier

Thanks for all the Help.

DynamoBen
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks that explains things much better. I think for the most part im going to go the pre-assmelbed route.

I'm running 10 Prop-1 controlers with relay set-up

I was also looking for a easy way to run 16 channels of DMX from a localized spot (IE Computer)

I think i might go with a Enttec USB - DMX converter

and Im going to use 4 4Ch DMX dimmers from a EBay Supplier

Thanks for all the Help.

This sounds similar to the Halloween setup I use. At present I'm using off the shelf dimmers. Down the road I plan to make more feature rich dimmers but for now I'm set, my time is better spent building servo controllers and what not.