PDA

View Full Version : Is this right?

zoommedic
12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I inherited a house worth of C9's. My grandfather was an electrician so I can only guess that this is right, his house never burnt down......

These strings have no inline fuse, and some strings are just 6 bulbs long, others are longer spans of like 35 blubs. He made them custom fit to the eves on his house.

The C9 strings, some have been spliced together, shortened or lengthened. Is there a set # of lights per strings like there is with minis?

If they are spliced, do you just leave the end like that, or do you have to complete the circuit? Take both wires and connect them back together?

Also does it matter which way you connect the wires, if i wanna connect the shorter spans together?

What is the purpose of a polarized plug? Can you cut the polarized tip down to fit a regualr non polarized plug?

vairmoose
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
The old C9 strings had the lights hooked up in parallel (vs the series of current minis). DO NOT connect the hanging wires together - that would be a very quick opportunity to watch Sparky at its finest. Make sure that the ends are safely terminated ....

Each bulb on that string was 110v.... so no resistors needed anywhere in the string. The lack of fuses just means that these are OLD strings.... before the age of government protecting the individual from himself.

As long as you have enough juice in the wall, the only limitation on the number of C9s is the size (awg) and length of the wire and how many amps it can carry (safely).

Personally, I'd prefer leaving the original plug there until there is damage and danger of creating a flame.

If you wanted to splice the lines together, it should not matter what connects to what, but would recommend attempting to keep hot on "hot" so that the hot is at the base of the socket and not the ring.

Larry

zoommedic
12-02-2008, 05:30 PM
How will i know which is hot?

Do I lick them? Like a 9v battery?

J/K

Penfold
12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Usually, the neutral side has writing on the wire itself or is ribbed on the edge of the wire. Look at the SPT-2 wire strands with original male plugs. The prong that is bigger is the most likely the neutral. This will give you an idea how the lights are wired.