PDA

View Full Version : Coop 595 assembly insruction pics?

robots4joey
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I remembered a while ago seeing a page that had the olsen 595 coop board being assembled with pictures for each step. I cannot remember where that is. Can someone here help me find it?

Thanks so much!

alwysrit2
09-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I think you are looking for what is in the wiki
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Co-Op_Boards_and_Assembly_Instructions
-Don

robots4joey
09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I did know that was there... but I was specifically looking for step by step pics of a 595 being built....

maybe I was just imagining things...

Matt
09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I believe there is a how-to on ComputerChristmas.com.

-Matt

JaysonH
09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I did know that was there... but I was specifically looking for step by step pics of a 595 being built....

maybe I was just imagining things...

Just look at the pictures bro, your a man, thats how we do things! :p That after all is what most of men catch unholy h*ll for from our wives (ie. "Why dont you just READ the instructions!?!"). Hahaha.

The only thing to be watchful of (and tough to see if at all in a picture of a fully built one) is the resistor networks (which is the common lead) and the LED's (but once you know which leg is your anode, you're fine).

Let me know if you come up with anything, I can quick make some instructions up for you as I have two empty Olsen's and parts of course. Wouldnt take but a couple of minutes (though would have to be later tonight when my son is asleep). Just PM me if you still need or want some pics.

ErnieHorning
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
"Why dont you just READ the instructions!?!"

I thought they were just for to see how you did. :wink:

Dan Ross
09-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Don't know if this will help you.

I started with the smallest stuff (closest to the board) and worked my way up.

I put all of capacitors and the single resistor in the board taped them in place turned the board over and soldered, then I put all the LED’s in place taped them turned it over verified they were in correct ( the short leg should be in the hole with the square around it) and soldered.

Between the tape and starting with the smallest part and working up I did not have any problems of parts not being close to the board after I turned it over to solder

Make sure when you do the resistor packs the side with the writing goes in the hole with the square around it and make sure you line the notch of the chip holders with the symbol of the notch on the board, and when you put the chip in the holder the notch on the chip matches the notch of the holder.

Here is a picture of one of my completed 595’s.

Wayne J
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I think this is what your looking for.

http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-119/Building_a_595

8)

robots4joey
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Hey! thats what I remembered Wayne!

Thanks to all for the help! Dan thanks for the notes. I woulda screwed up one of those things at least!

-Happy lighting!

vk3heg
09-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey Hey! thats what I remembered Wayne!

Thanks to all for the help! Dan thanks for the notes. I woulda screwed up one of those things at least!

-Happy lighting!

That was my series of pictures..
Good to hear they got some use!

Do I get my five minutes of fame now? :D

robots4joey
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Stephen;

I've already spent more than 5 minutes looking at them in awe :)

Thanks,

-Joey

Meat Sauce
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I have my boards and my parts. Now its time to solder but outside of plumbing pipes I have never soldered anything this small before. Could somebody post a picture of the back side of a completed 595 board. I have some questions about the actual soldering of parts to the board. A picture would answer many of the many questions I have. Thanks in advance.

Wayne J
12-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Now you have my curiousity, what are your questions?

Meat Sauce
12-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Mainly just curious to see what good solder connections look like.
1) does each pin in every part need to be soldered without any solder running onto another pad?

2) How do most power the board, through the P1 or the input RJ45. I plan on chaining two boards together and will go with a power supply other then the computer

3) if I choose the input rj45 do I need to install P1?

I've never soldered electronic components before and I am a little nervous I'm going to screw it up. I do not want to mess up the board. A picture will give a good visual and help to bolster my confidence, I think. If I am worrying to much just tell me and I will jump in with my iron blazing away and see what happens

robots4joey
12-08-2007, 04:48 PM
There's a great intro video here: shows a good solder joint at the end.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=859

1. yes, if the pins are bridged with solder it will short out the connections(bad!)

2. I used P1, it just seamed easier i guess

3. I don;t think so.. I didn't, and my olsen works

Josh
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
here are some pics of a 595 put together as well as SSR and other misc christmas light stuff

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/p8ntballer4lyfe/christmas/

the 595 is not the best soldering, i used big solder when i did it, so some leads have just a bit too much and dont look so much like a "ramp" more like a bubble

P. Short
12-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I like using .032" diam solder. I don't think that I would like to use anything much bigger for this sort of project.

--

Phil

Meat Sauce
12-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I got my first 595 all soldered and ready to go. Thanks for all the help. The soldering was not the daunting task I though it would be. Now time to hook it up to the computer but first a quick question. I have the db25 to cat5 plug. If I pin out the plug according to the wiki I can just run a standard cat5 patch cable from the connector to the 595 input rj45. Is this correct? Will this power the board?

Wayne J
12-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes you can use a patch cable. No it will not power the board. You will need to bring the +5 and ground in on P1.

Macrosill
12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes you can use a patch cable. No it will not power the board. You will need to bring the +5 and ground in on P1.

Or you could bring the 5v and gnd into the adapter by drilling a hole and connecting to the proper conductors inside the adapter. Then you would get the power down the cat 5.

Or the way I did it in my last 595 setup was to simply slice open the cat cable sheathing and pull out the conductors that need the 5v and gnd. I then put a molex connector on those 2 conductors. Then I grabbed 5v and gnd from the pc psu and put a matching connector on them after they ran outside the back of the pc. Now I have two connectors on a single cable and only a single cable from the pc to the 595. Maybe I should take a pic????

Meat Sauce
12-15-2007, 11:11 PM
I really like pictures. Guess I'm gonna have to rip the cover off this computer and actually take a look at whats there. Another first. This is getting exciting.