PDA

View Full Version : Some things hay-wire

Blhudk1
11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm a first timer with 2 grinches. When I run them seperatly they work fine. When I go to plug they cat5 in to the first grinch output the channels go hay-wire, they do what they want even if its just the cable no grinch on the other end. Its a good cat5 store bought and tested. Thought it might be the first grinch so I switched them had the same problem.Went to change the bios to epp and I dont have epp tried the ones I had still no luck. Thought it might be power supply checked that and even took the jumpers off and powered each on there own still no good.Does anyone have any sugestions?

Wayne J
11-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Do you have the plug-in set for 128 channels when you plug in the second?

TERBObob
11-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm a first timer with 2 grinches. When I run them seperatly they work fine. When I go to plug they cat5 in to the first grinch output the channels go hay-wire, they do what they want even if its just the cable no grinch on the other end. Its a good cat5 store bought and tested. Thought it might be the first grinch so I switched them had the same problem.Went to change the bios to epp and I dont have epp tried the ones I had still no luck. Thought it might be power supply checked that and even took the jumpers off and powered each on there own still no good.Does anyone have any sugestions?

Are you SURE you have a good PATCH cable between the two GRINCH's ?
Try another cable ( bet the one you have is NOT a PATCH , but a crossover /network cable

Blhudk1
11-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I have the pluggins set on 1 to 128 for the simple 595 on port 1

Blhudk1
11-29-2008, 10:06 PM
whats the wire diagram for a patch I have wo-o-wg-b-wb-g-wb-b that i use same for the ssr's

TERBObob
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Pair #
1-White/Blue
White/Blue 5
Blue/White 4

2-White/Green
White/Green 1
Green/White 2

3-White/Orange
White/Orange 3
Orange/White 6

4-White/Brown
White/Brown 7
Brown/White 8

Blhudk1
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
thanks terbobob i will try

bmcgeeny
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Are you SURE you have a good PATCH cable between the two GRINCH's ?
Try another cable ( bet the one you have is NOT a PATCH , but a crossover /network cable

Sounds like he has a crossover cable in there somewhere. I got a great deal on some cables, found out why. Crossovers. From the Grinch to SSR. They worked, just plug stuff into different chanell at the SSR. On th PCI DIO cards that I am driving ULN chips they will not work.

Blhudk1
11-30-2008, 12:08 AM
went out to check had 2 store bought cat5 made 2 of my own and replaced them still no luck.The channels seem to light one or two channels off from where they are sequenced.I didnt change any channel order in my sequencing but maybe there is something I missed.I also dont use all the outputs on the first grinch there are three open spots do I have to program those channels before using channels from the second grinch.

RavingLunatic
11-30-2008, 01:58 AM
I also dont use all the outputs on the first grinch there are three open spots do I have to program those channels before using channels from the second grinch.

Yes! The first Grinch doesn't know that you aren't using all 64 channels so you have to send it 64 even if there are 3 empty channels. Before the 2nd Grinch can get any data the first Grinch must get its 64 channels first.

If you don't want to use those channels on the first Grinch just leave them blank but they must be accounted for.

WakeFan
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
How long is your cable? If it is 25' or more, you will get some trash in the signal.

I would trade 595 chips(if you used sockets) at the spot you are having trouble.

Blhudk1
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
well let me finish this so others can use. my problem was with the power supply being too high I put an in4oo4 diode on the +5 of my power supply and wa-la flashy plinky on all the right channels. I also put a ground wire from the grinch to the power supply. Thank you to all those that have helped out a new guy.