PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Help!

bj1105
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello, I am new on these forums and computer controlled Christmas lights in general. The town where i live has a competition during Christmas where all of the businesses in downtown decorate their storefronts. well I am going to add music and computer control my display. Can someone please tell me if this is a good beginner board. I know it's only 8 channels, but that is all I need. Also does anyone know if it is supported by Vixen? thanks.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1601.htm

Ronp
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
That is the kit74 and yes it will work with vixen
Quick easy way to get the lights blinking
You will need to wire 8 extention cords to that .( you just cut off the plug end and wire to the board with screw driver)

grages
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Welcome.

Another thought that might be usefull would be to get something like a Grinch board and just partially build it out, which would allow you to expand it in the future.

So you would need a 1 Grinch board built for 16 channels(total board 64 channels) and 2 ssr boards (4 channels / board) to meet your initial needs

This would require you to order parts and solder components on and if that is beyond your scope then probably your initial idea or one of the other comercial sources would be what you need.

If you decide on the Grinch board solution then PM wjohn in the Grinch thread. He will probably have all of the boards that you need.

Good luck and hope to see you around.
Shawn

bj1105
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. I am researching the Grinch boards, so that might be a better option because of the expandability. Thanks again.