PDA

View Full Version : Tune to sign separate from show?

Jediosu
09-11-2018, 11:16 AM
This year I'm building a P10 2x2 "tune to" sign. I'll be running it from a CFOL pi hat nano using FPP in remote mode.

I'm curious of the pros/cons of sequencing the sign in the same sequence as the rest of my show versus its own sequences.

Right now I have the sign setup in vixen with the rest of my display but I'm not utilizing it as part of the display, its just alternates between two lines showing "tune to xx.x" and scrolling "tune to xx.x FM" every 10 seconds or so. I'm curious if I'd be better off making separate sequences for the show running on the master and the sign running on the remote. I assume I just make the sequences the same length and named the same if I want to separate them.

I'm curious how others are sequencing their signs and if there's a reason I should or shouldn't do it one way or the other.

Thanks!

ezellner
09-11-2018, 12:06 PM
i am sequencing my sign separately so I don't have to deal with it in every other sequence I make. I will use an RPi so time will be common between it and the other RPi that runs the rest of the show, i.e., start and stop times will be in sync.

TazChaLet
09-11-2018, 12:43 PM
I made its own profile and sequenced what I wanted on it and then put that file on the tune to and it will run on its own separate from the show it will make the program do less work since it doesn't have to worry about all the channels from my sign

jchuchla
09-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Mine isn't really sequenced at all. It's just controlled by the sequence. I have two channels defined in my show for FPP control channels. Each sequence sends a unique value on those control channels. It also sends another value about 10 sec before the end of the sequence. This second one is the same for all sequences.

In FPP, I have events setup to play a clip. I have one for each sequence. In my case, these are video files that show the song title and artist over a background image that fits the song theme. It also has the Tune To information baked into these clips. The second common value one in every sequence triggers a bumper clip (like us on facebook, etc...) at the end of every sequence.

I use video files in my scenario. But you could certainly do it with sequence files just the same.

ShadowLight8
09-11-2018, 03:04 PM
My setup sounds like yours, Jediosu, where the sign is setup in Vixen and is able to be made part of the sequences. I really enjoy having the sign be part of the sequences. It shows the tune to xx.xx FM message about 75% of the time, but I also have it scroll the name of the song, the artist, what track it is in the show (like Track 5 of 10), sometimes low res video, and a few lyrics at key times. I also duplicate some pixel effects and colors to the sign to make it feel like a part of the show.

I do agree with the point that it can be more work since it has to be dealt with for each sequence.

For me: If it blinks, I'll try to make it part of the show :)

MartinMueller2003
09-11-2018, 09:07 PM
My sign is part of the show. It displays the current song name and the station info. Programmed in Vixen along with everything else.

mikeh65
09-12-2018, 10:36 AM
My tune to sign is independent of my show. It runs from a Pi inside it with FPP running. It cycles through several sequences showing Tune To, Show Times, Display Name, Count Down clock, reminders to donate, and being kind to the neighbors with do and don't while watching the show. It's about a 5 to 10 min cycle. I don't worry about announcing my songs since I also create Intros and Extros for each song. These sequences are voiced over and uses one of my characters as an MC to keep the show tied together. The sign starts running about an hour before the show begins and runs about 30 mins past show completion. I sometimes also run it a couple of hours in the morning to catch the "going to school/work" crowds.

mikeh65
09-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Mine isn't really sequenced at all. It's just controlled by the sequence. I have two channels defined in my show for FPP control channels. Each sequence sends a unique value on those control channels. It also sends another value about 10 sec before the end of the sequence. This second one is the same for all sequences.

In FPP, I have events setup to play a clip. I have one for each sequence. In my case, these are video files that show the song title and artist over a background image that fits the song theme. It also has the Tune To information baked into these clips. The second common value one in every sequence triggers a bumper clip (like us on facebook, etc...) at the end of every sequence.

I use video files in my scenario. But you could certainly do it with sequence files just the same.

Jon, You are running you show from a PC, right? Can you tell me how you are running/starting sequences to FPP? That sounds interesting.

Jediosu
09-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Thanks for everyone's input so far. My P10 parts should be arriving any day and I'll do some practical testing soon. I think I may end up taking the sign out of my "display" and running its own thing through the remote.

jchuchla
09-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Jon, You are running you show from a PC, right? Can you tell me how you are running/starting sequences to FPP? That sounds interesting.

Not any more. I used to use the Vixen scheduler until 2016 but switched to FPP in 2017. The need for multisynced video pushed me over the edge and forced the switch.

That being said, the video sign was in use before I was running the show from FPP. That's the beauty of doing it with the control channel mechanism. The triggers are just channel data in your sequence and any show player/scheduler will send them out as standard lighting data. You're not limited by any particular feature set in the player. I should start a separate thread for this. I've actually explained this a handful of times in the past few weeks. I need to get it documented.

ukewarrior
09-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Wonderful.
I would appreciate that!

That's the beauty of doing it with the control channel mechanism. The triggers are just channel data in your sequence and any show player/scheduler will send them out as standard lighting data. You're not limited by any particular feature set in the player. I should start a separate thread for this. I've actually explained this a handful of times in the past few weeks. I need to get it documented.

mikeh65
09-12-2018, 03:20 PM
That being said, the video sign was in use before I was running the show from FPP. That's the beauty of doing it with the control channel mechanism. The triggers are just channel data in your sequence and any show player/scheduler will send them out as standard lighting data. You're not limited by any particular feature set in the player. I should start a separate thread for this. I've actually explained this a handful of times in the past few weeks. I need to get it documented.

Yes, Please!!! Because I know i can setup a script/trigger that will stop the background and run another over the top. That way I think I can run my sign the way I am currently am and then maybe include Sequence Titles as part of the show.