PDA

View Full Version : Tomato cage - Snowflake

Rocketman4
11-22-2008, 12:37 AM
How to make a Snow flake out of 2 Tomato cages. The cages need to be the type with only 3 legs. First cut the rings in the center of each leg. Flatten each section (3). Next bend the flatten ring wire approx. 30 degrees. You now have six sections that can be easily joined together with electrical tape. I prefere white hence a snow flakes natural color. The bottom or larger section is over lapped as shown in the picture. Tape each leg at the vertex. You should be taping three pieces of wire together. Two short sections and one long leg section. You now have a snowflake frame that can be wrapped in lights. Cages can be found at Lowe's for less than $2.

omzig
11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Yet another use for tomato cages! Did you know that some people use them to grow tomatoes?

Very nice! I may add this to my list for next year. Thanks for sharing.

WWNF911
11-22-2008, 01:45 PM
did you know that some people use them to grow tomatoes?

r o f l

Virtus
11-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I must be growing domesticated or free-range tomatoes...never needed to cage them! :)

Macrosill
11-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Wow, neat idea!

joneslights
11-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Does it have to be a 60 degree angle, or will a 62 degree angle work? :D

Dino242
11-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Does it have to be a 60 degree angle, or will a 62 degree angle work? :D

I think the snow melts above 60 degrees
:eek:

Flash69
11-23-2008, 01:18 AM
I guess I should try to make time to wrap the snowflake in white electrical tape and post pictures?

Rocketman made "the original" Snowflake for his brother-in-law, me.

phenagan
11-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Has to be 60 to for everything to line up (6 * 60 = 360 degrees = a full circle)

joneslights
11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Has to be 60 to for everything to line up (6 * 60 = 360 degrees = a full circle)

I knew there was a reason.

davislights
11-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

lbro
11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
I like it!!!!

Jim B.
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Saw this and had to give it a try. Cool idea! Worked great. Just finished hanging it. Can't wait to see it lit up after dark. Think I should have used smaller cages. 70 inches tip to tip! :) If I like the way this looks. (Pretty sure I will) I'll be buying smaller cages next spring! 300 lights on this one!
Guess I'll be needing to replace my wifes tomato cages also next spring! Once she finds out there isn't as many as there were when we tore up the garden! :)

I'll post a Picture if it looks OK.

How to make a Snow flake out of 2 Tomato cages. The cages need to be the type with only 3 legs. First cut the rings in the center of each leg. Flatten each section (3). Next bend the flatten ring wire approx. 30 degrees. You now have six sections that can be easily joined together with electrical tape. I prefere white hence a snow flakes natural color. The bottom or larger section is over lapped as shown in the picture. Tape each leg at the vertex. You should be taping three pieces of wire together. Two short sections and one long leg section. You now have a snowflake frame that can be wrapped in lights. Cages can be found at Lowe's for less than $2.

Jim B.
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Well here it is. Not the best picture but you get the idea.

Saw this and had to give it a try. Cool idea! Worked great. Just finished hanging it. Can't wait to see it lit up after dark. Think I should have used smaller cages. 70 inches tip to tip! :) If I like the way this looks. (Pretty sure I will) I'll be buying smaller cages next spring! 300 lights on this one!
Guess I'll be needing to replace my wifes tomato cages also next spring! Once she finds out there isn't as many as there were when we tore up the garden! :)

I'll post a Picture if it looks OK.

Relvis
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I made one this year with rope lights, it turned out really nice. Don't obsess about the angles being exact since you can make final tweaks when it's all together. It not cheap, around 30 dollars with the rope lights, cages and wire ties and about 2 hours time but it will stand out and look good doing it. I'm making another tonight.

hutchijw
12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Can you post a picture of one with the rope lights on it?

I made one this year with rope lights, it turned out really nice. Don't obsess about the angles being exact since you can make final tweaks when it's all together. It not cheap, around 30 dollars with the rope lights, cages and wire ties and about 2 hours time but it will stand out and look good doing it. I'm making another tonight.

Skunberg
12-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Always nice to see a old idea come around again! And the pleasant memory's from seeing old familiar names as you read through a post.

Brian